Author Topic: Game of Thrones season 2  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Game of Thrones season 2
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:57 AM BST GMT »
So for those who can see this and saw it: what did you think?

One of the complaints I heard about the first season was that a lot had to be cut out of GRRM's  dense book to fit ten hour-long episodes.  Now that I've read most myself, I can agree with the complaints and understand why it had to be done.  Still, a lot of the scenes seemed to zip by compared to the book.  Too little time to develop each character before flitting to the next one?  I dunno.

My only other complaint was Stannis.  One of my favourite characters from the book - as dour and miserable a person as you can find, but with more sense and honesty than most.  But Stephen Dillane seemed to be playing him like a shrill gossip from Coronation Street!  I half-expected him to say something like "Ooh, 'er at number twenty-six!  She's 'ad the milkman round again."  Still, not as bad as Renly...

Small potatoes, though.  It's been a good start. :)

Offline NightwindKing

Re: Game of Thrones season 2
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:44:35 AM BST GMT »
I was more pissed at the amount they added-in to the first season that wasnt in the books at all. Cutting I dont mind as much, because it doesnt alter the rest of the character, usually. But having the first 10 minutes of...was it episode 6? Devoted to Littlefinger voicing-over a lesbian sex scene? WTF?

I dunno. I really like most of the presentation. But from what I've seen of Season 2 so far I think Im gonna feel the same way about Stannis (and theoretically, Renly) as I did about Syrio. There was no reason to change him. Why do it?

Offline zorro

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:47:15 PM BST GMT »
I quite enjoyed it so far. I have read the books, and to be honest at some points I could not tell wheteher the altered the storry, or more likley I have forgotten thesem aprticular scenes.
Also I can't really tell if someone who has not read the books could enjoy the series as ne characters are introduced so rapidly and such little time is spent elaborating their role :/ But we shall see....

Offline Bergil

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:16 PM BST GMT »
I'm more than pleased with the start of season 2. Left me wanting more as all of season 1 did!

I haven't read the books, and as far as I know it's not at all detrimental to my enjoyment of the program.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:37:17 PM BST GMT »
But having the first 10 minutes of...was it episode 6? Devoted to Littlefinger voicing-over a lesbian sex scene? WTF?

I dunno. I really like most of the presentation. But from what I've seen of Season 2 so far I think Im gonna feel the same way about Stannis (and theoretically, Renly) as I did about Syrio. There was no reason to change him. Why do it?

You must've loved the exposition between Renly and Loras in the last episode, then.  Man.  It was like someone's Ice-and-Fire slashfic got mixed up with the script.
Why cut out bits of the original story if it's too long, just to turn around and shoehorn in awkward sex scenes and the 'Renly's gay' subplot?  Especially since *spoilers* he's a bit-part and about to die anyway, probably in the next episode. *spoilers*  It's carrying on the impression from the first season, that the show's trying far too hard to seem 'adult' at the expense of the plot.

Watching the first and second seasons, I wished I could fast-forward through the ad breaks to get back to the story.  Now I'm starting to wish I could fast-forward through the 'story' to get to the bits with Tyrion and Jon.

Offline NightwindKing

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:40 PM BST GMT »
Yup. Exactly what I thought Vermis. I've been watching it online because I refuse to 'buy' the channel just to get access to a show I'm already frustrated with lol ;-)

I dunno. I think Littlefinger and Renly were fleshed-out enough for their parts without having to add in plot-pointless sex scenes. I dunno. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't mind the INCLUSION of adult content...I DID love the books after all. But the books' sex scenes had POINT to them, I'll say 98% of the time. And I always prefer a muted or 'boot scene' for sex that I can show to my younger brother and such without feeling really awkward lol.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:31:41 AM BST GMT »
seen the first 2 eps now and I like it so far, but then I dont know the books sadly no time to read these days and reading them after seeing it feel wrong.

Offline tabasco2152

• Company D Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:32:19 AM BST GMT »
I am going to buy the series on Amazon and enjoy at leisure