Author Topic: Photography?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline NightwindKing

Photography?
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:18:03 PM BST GMT »
Not sure if this is the wrong place to post this...

Anyway. Ive been wanting to take some photos of my sculpts but, alas, my camera sucks crap at close-up work...bad macro skills I guess. Likewise my wife's (which is worse), and my phone.

So. What do you guys use to take your photos? Any suggestions on a particular camera?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: Photography?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:57:59 PM BST GMT »
Not sure if this is the wrong place to post this...

Huh... I thought I had a note allowing it in the painting board.  Apparently not.  Mind if I nudge it up there?

So. What do you guys use to take your photos? Any suggestions on a particular camera?

I have a Fuji Finepix S3000.  I've been meaning to get rid of it for years but I never get round to it.  It's a brick.  I'd guess even mid-range cameras these days would trounce it.
Macro's kind of okay on it, but starts to go blurry if you want any big or close-up pics.  I daren't take any pics without a load of lighting and a few different exposures, but I'd guess that's true of most cameras.

Offline NightwindKing

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:16:09 PM BST GMT »
Oh sure! Yeah sorry...I wasn't looking for what *was* allowed, but what *wasnt*. Go ahead and move it...might be why nobody else has replied lol!

Hmm. Yeah that's definitely a bit older. I guess I'm mainly looking for current-comparable models, so that I know what sort of macro or flash specs I'm looking for.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:24:36 AM BST GMT »
Are you using a lightbox?

Offline NightwindKing

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:22:10 PM BST GMT »
No, not usually. But the macro on my camera is so bad anyway that i can only view stuff from like 4 feet away. Its a Canon powershot A540, if that helps. Been about 6 years since i bought a camera lol.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30:43 AM BST GMT »
No, not usually. But the macro on my camera is so bad anyway that i can only view stuff from like 4 feet away. Its a Canon powershot A540, if that helps. Been about 6 years since i bought a camera lol.

My camera is a Canon Powershot A590, I've never tried the A540 bu the macro on mine works okay. I don't have the best set up, it's a just a couple of pieces of white foam-card with an anglepoise lamp overhead, but I can get reasonably good results if I take a photo under artificial light just before sunset. For some reason the photo doesn't come out so well in broad daylight using a lightbox.