Author Topic: Wargame Scenery... made from card  (Read 4395 times)

Offline rocketmonkey

Wargame Scenery... made from card
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:47:07 PM GMT GMT »
Just interested to hear peoples' opinions (positive or negative) about using (and putting together!) card model buildings, terrain and miscellaneous battlefield objects.

Does anyone use card buildings? If so, do you purchase these (e.g. as PDF downloads) or do you design them yourself? Do you prefer scratchbuilding pieces, or buying resin models?

From a personal point of view I believe that, whilst card buildings will never compete with something scratchbuilt with love or even purchased as a resin product, there are inherent benefits in using card, such as cost, weight, storage and so forth.

Interesting to hear what thoughts anyone has on the subject. I will be putting a list of links together and posting it soon (probably after I get back from Africa). If people are interested, I was thinking of putting together some tutorials and even posting some free-to-download-and-print battlefield objects such as boxes, ammo crates, tank traps, walls, bunkers etc.

Your thoughts please! :)

Offline Beefcake

Re: Wargame Scenery... made from card
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:54:51 PM GMT GMT »
There are a few sites where you can download card buildings for free. Resin obviously looks better because of the textures you can have on the walls/rooves but on the plus side of card if you're not into painting a load of buildings and need a quick city for some game, you don't need to paint these and can probably assemble them rather quickly in comparison to painting a whole load of resin buildings. I haven't used card in a long time though.
I thinki googling "dungeons and dragons card buildings" comes up with some good free fantasy card options.
Edit: here's one
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive
free and only a few megabytes if you download all the buildings. Maybe I'll have to do a sneaky at work and print them there to save my ink cartridges  ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:58:44 PM GMT GMT by Beefcake »

Offline rocketmonkey

Re: Wargame Scenery... made from card
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:35:49 PM GMT GMT »
Cheers, Beefcake - that's a pretty cool link!

I am in complete agreement that one of the positive aspects of card models is that they are great if you need a quick, easy city for your game (and they don't need painting)! Obviously, they will not be quite as aesthetically pleasing as a quality resin model (or scratch build) painted to a high standard. But, card is a lot cheaper and, in most cases, easier to work with.

Here are a couple of quick links to some paper modelling forums that I have found useful in the past:

http://www.zealot.com/forum/
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/

Right, I really must finish packing my bags. Now where did I put my malaria tablets...?