Author Topic: Guides and References - Cloth  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Guides and References - Cloth
« on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:23 PM GMT GMT »
Online Resources

Sculpting figure in a cloak - Jan K.'s photo demonstration on forming a cloak from a sheet of putty.

Two-part Drapery Demonstration - 'Fredflickstone's' short tutorial at Conceptart.org.  Deals mostly with 2D rendering but also how clothes wrinkles form.

Types of Folds - a drawing tutorial on the seven basic types of cloth folds, from a book by Barbara Bradley.

Books

Drawing Drapery
Glenn Vilppu
Book and downloadable DVD

Drawing People: How to Portray the Clothed Figure
Barbara Bradley

Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery
Burne Hogarth

Post your suggestions or personal articles below, for inclusion in this list;
Post questions, discussions or reviews on the main board.

Offline aly.r

Re: Guides and References - Cloth
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:58 AM GMT GMT »
Saw this on frothers,

www.notebookinhand.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14342

I'm both technologically challenged and on my phone otherwise I might know how to post just the picture.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:04:06 AM GMT GMT »
Saw this on frothers,

www.notebookinhand.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14342

I'm both technologically challenged and on my phone otherwise I might know how to post just the picture.
right click pic-> copy image location. use img tags:
Code: [Select]
[img]XthereX[/img] paste image location XthereX

sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:06:50 AM GMT GMT »
Saw this on frothers

I was a bit disparaging about it on frothers, too; but I honestly have doubts about how helpful that tutorial is.  No doubt it looks impressive, laid out all authoritatively like that; and so it might seem a bit rich for me to say this, but it doesn't hold up in my eyes - it seems like the blind leading the blind.

There's a bizarre trip around the contours of the body (not the 3D form of the body; just it's contours), identifying the 'crease points'.  Some of which seem pretty arbitrary, rather than logical or realistic.  Why on outwards bends or convex curves, like the elbow or the belly?
Each crease point is then overlaid with wrinkles.  Each wrinkle is pretty much the same: the complexity of the seven folds of Barbara Bradley and other trained, professional artists is reduced to very basic Vs and forked lines. (bird prints!)  Realistic representations are replaced with crude symbols that suggest wrinkles.  "This means a wrinkle."  That shorthand might work for this kind of simple cartoon, but not for much else, and especially not for sculpture.  It's not so easy to get away with a suggestion of 3D form, in this game.
'Loops for depth', 'weight points' and wide, draping sleeves add a thin veil of false complexity and knowledge.  The loops are only a minor extra detail of the wrinkle symbol; the weight point has no apparent function or relevance in the rest of the tutorial; and the draped sleeves are simply semicircles with longer V-symbols in them.  There's no attempt to show how those longer wrinkles loop, merge, or otherwise interact with other wrinkles and origin points.  Nothing but one of those Q-tip loops, a tight little curl where it shouldn't be.

Nope.  As far as I can see this is a manga-doodling kid, pumped up on the adoration of other manga-doodling kids, showing off what they think rather than what they know.  I'd hesitate to even consider this tutorial a jumping-off point for beginners, as almost everything in it is fundamentally wrong, misleading, or made-up.  The only bits I can agree with are 'there are wrinkles where cloth bends in' and 'wrinkles go around an object'.  But those two snippets do not a cloth tutorial make.

Sorry Aly.  Thanks for pointing it out, even though it's usefulness turned out as how not to do cloth, in my view!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:13:34 AM GMT GMT by Vermis »

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:45:50 PM BST GMT »
I am with Vermis here. This might be useful for some basic understanding of cloth/wrinkles and disregarding the material itself but it is not a perfect reference, specially not for sculpting. Too me it looks very manga and I really dislike all manga stuff except for the techy things and akira.

I would recommend getting a few of Phillipe Farrauts videos and/or books, it's a whole different scale but it really helps to understand it.

For cloth use original examples, like a towel or sheets and alike. You want to sculpt some pants ? Use a mirror and look at yourself, the best reference is mostly closer than expected...
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore