Author Topic: Discussion  (Read 18345 times)

Offline Self

• scratch building nutjob
  • You say that I am crazy, I say that you are right!
Re: Discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 06:14:51 AM GMT GMT »
Well, actually, the exact wording of the rules are:
"The 'scale' will be generalised 28mm.  I.e. 28-32mm, heroic or realistic scale."

So while the scale was specified, the actual size of the piece was not limited.  If the piece was limited to around 30mm, this would prohibit larger pieces such as a Minotaur, trolls, or other larger non-human  pieces.

My two cents.

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 07:14:44 AM GMT GMT »
I'll give it a go. Gave last year's comp a go but never finished. We'll see if I finish this one.

Offline EliaG

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 07:31:56 AM GMT GMT »
Well, actually, the exact wording of the rules are:
"The 'scale' will be generalised 28mm.  I.e. 28-32mm, heroic or realistic scale."

So while the scale was specified, the actual size of the piece was not limited.

I would love to hear what Tom Meier's thought about it are!! ;D
Things like 28mm is not a scale is a measure! hehehe

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 02:06:30 PM GMT GMT »
Self's right: I used that wording to indicate the scale, not the precise size of individual sculpts (as we know, 28mm 'scale' is usually pretty loosely interpreted); and it honestly didn't occur to me that anyone would think of something larger than ogre/minotaur sizes.  I guess the wording wasn't completely clear, though.  I apologise for that.

As for any compromise, I still have to, er, contact Troll Forged about possibilities...  Hang on a while longer.

Was wondering where the price fund was coming from. Very generous of you! I hope there's some incentive in there for yourself (other than, of course, the warm fuzzy feeling of nourishing the sculpting talent of tomorrow, lol) ;-)

I dunno about 'generous'.  I thought it'd be a more worthy and generally useful prize compared to "a pack of putty and a clay shaper!" from last year. (on my part; not forgetting Impact! Miniatures' welcome contributions)  It's pretty much a bonus tacked onto a sculpt's potential sale price, to encourage the members - and membership! - of the forum.
Don't worry about me, though.  Just run along and enjoy yourself. ;)

EliaG: much as I'd squeal like a Justin Beiber fangirl to have Tom Meier post here, I think that particular topic might be a slog...

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 04:44:08 PM GMT GMT »
I dunno about 'generous'.  [...] Don't worry about me, though.  Just run along and enjoy yourself. ;)

I'd say a total prize fund of £180 plus 30 casts is very generous!

(How about runners up prizes of clayshapers? lol!)

Offline ferk

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 07:08:37 PM GMT GMT »
Hi All,
I've just joined your group and very excited to partake in this competition. I'm a sculptor for a US game called Brushfire. I'm going to be doing a sculpt of a gibbon monkey playing a harp/guitar like instroment. It's for thier 'China' faction. I'll include more details and WIPs soon. looking forward to this.

Offline Local_Ork

• ...Wut?
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44:45 PM GMT GMT »
One thing - does including non-heat resistant materials like plastic or even painting with grey primer is ok?

I'm not familiar with casting method You want to use and in unlikely case of winning I wouldn't like nasty surprises to happen...

[edit]
Just to be cleat - I'm talking about parts carved from plasticard, plastic wires etc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:58:53 AM GMT GMT by Local_Ork »

Offline warlordjones

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 07:20:12 AM GMT GMT »
Just joined here.. specially for the competition! I was drawn here by a post on my usual board Da Waaagh...

I think i have an idea alredy..it's just wether i can find the time to actually create it!

thanks
warlord

p.s. i am new to sculpting comps in general and i can't find a clarification in the rules but does the model have to be 100% sculpted or can we include small bitz?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:22:23 AM GMT GMT by warlordjones »

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 12:58:56 PM GMT GMT »
Self: No response from Troll Forged yet; but Ed usually has a lot on his plate, so I beg a little patience.  In the meantime, don't let it stop you getting on with things.

Local_Ork: No problem about the material.  I'll arrange resin masters for sculpts with non-vulcanisable materials.  Don't worry too much about it - despite the last page or so, the point of the compo is the quality of the sculpting and having a bit of fun with it, not how the sculpt will cast. :)

WarlordJones: sorry to shoot you down on your first post, but no bits from existing minis; excepting those that have a specific say-so for commerical use. (dollies etc.)  Sorry!

Welcome to Mini Sculpture, though.  You too, Ferk.  Looking forward to what you have to show. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:36:32 PM GMT GMT by Vermis »

Offline Self

• scratch building nutjob
  • You say that I am crazy, I say that you are right!
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:47 PM GMT GMT »
If it helps with the decision process, you can let them know that I can make masters that would be ready for the vulcanization process...

Offline warlordjones

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 05:45:01 PM GMT GMT »
Oh..i wasn't originally planning to use bitz...it was just in case...but also anything that is not a 'bit'?

warlord

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 07:02:54 PM GMT GMT »
the point of the compo is the quality of the sculpting and having a bit of fun with it, not how the sculpt will cast. :)

Praise the Lord! Pressure off!

Offline ferk

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 01:29:18 AM GMT GMT »
Hi Again. More details of what i'm up to. The Brushfire folks have an idea for a character from their chugoku faction which had been as of yet no minis. The character is a tactician  who was made famous for playing a Zheng ( a zither type thing) on the walls of the city he was defending. The advancing force saw him there alone and freaked.
In Brushfire, the characters are animals, in the traditions of Redwall. so this character is a Gibbon monkey.
i'm excited about the  cross-legged pose and the very voluminous but simple robes of that period. Mix that with a gibbon monkey with very long arms and long fingers and a little serene face .

Can we start posting WIP pics? I've been at it for about 3 days now and have some. do we post them here?

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 02:24:03 PM GMT GMT »
You can start a work in progress thread in the appropriately-named forum. :D
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 07:47:25 PM GMT GMT »
I know the rules turned out to be a little dodgy, but I thought it was pretty straightforward...

Entrants must submit between one and five photographs of each of their finished entries.  These can be posted on the 2012 competition board

Mostly to keep them gathered together for posterity, partly because this child board might look a bit flimsy without.  Not too much stress though - it says 'can', not 'must'. :)  Although if anyone wants their existing thread nudged over here, give us a shout.

Oh..i wasn't originally planning to use bitz...it was just in case...

Ah, okay!  Sorry about that.

but also anything that is not a 'bit'?

Er... like plastic?  Metal?  Fenceposts?  Cabbages?  Dogs?  Cats?

Local_Ork and Self: I know I should've trusted Ed's casting powers.  Non-vulcanisable materials are fine.  The only instruction I was given was to tell contestants to fill in any hollow plastic parts with putty.  In addition, Self: it should be fine if you can cut it up for casting.  Doesn't seem right to foist the prize expenses on the winners, somehow.

Though it does have to win, first! ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:52:15 PM GMT GMT by Vermis »