Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaners at Lidl UK/Ireland  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Ultrasonic cleaners at Lidl UK/Ireland
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:58:52 PM GMT GMT »

Offline ink the troll

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners at Lidl UK/Ireland
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:44:39 PM GMT GMT »
Been wondering about trying to use an ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of the last bits of paint on stripped minis since quite a while now. If you pick one up, post a pic/ report please.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Webby

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 02:34:47 PM GMT GMT »
Having used a "proper" ultrasonic bath during my PhD they will work brilliantly for stripping paint, although you may need to use a bit of Dettol in the water to get the bonds to soften a bit first.

Unfortunately I also have a "home" ultrasonic bath similar to the one in the offer and while it does a brilliant job of cleaning jewellery (you would not believe the scum that comes out of glasses and watches) it doesn't seem to really shift paint even when it is loosened with Dettol first.  It does however make it easier to remove the paint it just doesn't pull it away from the model, my guess is as it can't dissolve the paint in the water very efficiently and the intensity of the waves is low (compared to a pro bath) so there is not the energy to move lumps of paint away from the model.  So my advice if all you want it for is stripping models you may well be disappointed if you have some dirty jewellery then go for it makes things nice and shiny!

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 05:19:11 PM GMT GMT »
Ah. :S  Thanks for the warning.  Still, if it helps shift the paint and cuts down on the dettol, I won't mind.

What about pulling the mould release off resin minis? ;)

Offline Webby

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 06:21:07 PM GMT GMT »
Yeah it should clean mould release off resin as well as you could with a brush and soapy water, better in fact in deep texture.  You just need to add a bit of washing up liquid to the water to make it work better and your away.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:03:17 PM GMT GMT »
Paint+Nitromors=no paint

Offline Webby

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:16:42 AM GMT GMT »
Nitromors + Plastic/resin + Paint = sludgy gloop

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 11:39:38 AM GMT GMT »
Hands+nitromors=no hands :P  My main reason for getting one of these was because I'm even antsy about too much dettol.  And it has it's own sludgy goop problems too.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:00 PM GMT GMT »
I strip everything (metal) with Nitromors and a wire brush, of course while wearing goggles and gloves.......honest.
I hear that brake fluid will strip plastic and resin minis perfectly (but I've not tried it myself).
Miniature heroes does a paint stripping service for 50p a figure or something like that.

Antsy........that's a new one on me!
;)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:19:38 PM GMT GMT »
Tried it on a gesso-primed (IIRC) mini.  Ten minutes seems to have loosened the stuff on most of the upper surfaces.  Ten more minutes didn't shift much else.  Looks like I'm still dependent on a bit of dettol, or something.

I hear that brake fluid will strip plastic and resin minis perfectly (but I've not tried it myself).

I've tried brake fluid, dettol, citrus-based cleaners, fairy power spray...  The first two, at least, work.  But they still tend to leave bits and pieces in crevices that take so long to winkle out that I might as well have tried to strip the whole thing by physically scraping and poking.  And like I said, for me it was a 50/50 chance whether dettol would make the paint flake off, or turn it into an incredibly sticky mess that even fresh dunkings couldn't shift.

Maybe the cleaner will help loosen dettol-dunked paint more cleanly. You've got to hope.

Don't you?

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:20:11 PM GMT GMT »
Arghhh, the bits in the crevices, the winkling with pins, the wailing and gnashing of teeth!