Author Topic: The monthly sculptalong  (Read 29333 times)

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
Re: The monthly sculptalong
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 10:43:41 AM GMT GMT »
sounds good to me.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 01:01:50 PM GMT GMT »
The monthly whatnow? Yeah, t'would be good.

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:05 PM GMT GMT »
I'm very interested to see challenges return. I've only done a few of them, but they've always been interesting.
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline jeff_lamarche

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 03:32:00 PM GMT GMT »
I'm game. Though I don't expect to compete favorably with some of you fellows, stuff like this helps keep me motivated.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 07:41:52 PM GMT GMT »
Eh?  What?  Who?

Okay then... Does the beginning of February to the beginning of March sound good to everyone?  Anything in mind for the scale and subject?  Go look through the suggestions thread and point out what you all like the sound of.  Although for new members and those of us who vegetated over the festive period, I'd steer towards 28mm humanoid.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:53:03 PM GMT GMT by Vermis »

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 03:09:09 AM GMT GMT »
28mm humanoid.
Not that I'm the one that should suggest stuff for the sculptalong as I never seem to finish them, but maybe something like:

- merchants: Barter, trade, sell & buy- not that many merchants/ traders out there, but somebody's gotta shift the goods and make people part with their hard earned cash...
- feakshow/ carnival: From bearded damsells in distress to fire-eaters with heartburn to three armed radiation mutants in frilly dresses-  some minis might even end up being suitable pulpy retro 'men in rubber suits monsters' as well.
- civilians: Everything from hapless passerby about to be devoured by a hungry tentacled fiend to nice old lady walking her bad tempered flatulent pitbull. 
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 04:49:34 PM GMT GMT »
Just thinking of the recent link in the guides and ref section; what about an athlete? Gives lots of scope for body types, anatomy practice and dynamic posing.
Other than that....... Tribesman, superhero, obese figure, figure with drapery, figure interacting with object, sitting figure, "beastman", caricature, etc.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2012, 06:25:51 PM GMT GMT »
Other than that....... Tribesman, superhero, obese figure, figure with drapery, figure interacting with object, sitting figure, "beastman", caricature, etc.

So you've narrowed it down, then. :)

Good points about the athletes.  I also like Ink's suggestions - I have a soft spot for what you might call 'fluff' minis.  I'll wait 'til the start of next week for any more suggestions, then I'll stick up a quick poll.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:54 PM GMT GMT »
Well, it gives you something to think about!
Oh and Ink's got some good ideas too, there's a good imagination on her!

Offline Blitzspear

• Blitzspears Lab
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2012, 01:08:59 PM GMT GMT »
Count me in if it don't stray to far from 28mm human, think it's about time i stopped lurking and converting and had a go at a mini from the ground up. Clot knows iv'e got the tools and green stuff to do it. :)

Blitz

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 12:50:16 PM BST GMT »
Right...........what's next? there's plenty of ideas above. :D

Edit: I do like the idea of a beastman......just not you're ordinary goatman, choose something wacky? Armadillo-man, Okapi-fellow, Three-toed-sloth-woman, woodpecker-chap, Jellyfish-bloke? but proper "Realm of Chaos" or "Glorantan broo" not just standing-up-critter-anthro-furry-mouseguard-reaper-darksword-fest.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:59:06 PM BST GMT by Andrew May »

Offline Bergil

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2012, 01:32:43 PM BST GMT »

Edit: I do like the idea of a beastman......just not you're ordinary goatman, choose something wacky? Armadillo-man, Okapi-fellow, Three-toed-sloth-woman, woodpecker-chap, Jellyfish-bloke? but proper "Realm of Chaos" or "Glorantan broo" not just standing-up-critter-anthro-furry-mouseguard-reaper-darksword-fest.

Suit yourself!

"It can be a beastman as long as it not one of those things!!!

Hilarious! XD

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2012, 02:00:23 PM BST GMT »

Suit yourself!

"It can be a beastman as long as it not one of those things!!!

Hilarious! XD

you're free to suggest something else Bergil.
I only differentiated them as the RoC archetype is a feral warrior with the head and other attributes of an animal, generally evil and chaotic in aspect whilst the "critter-sculpts" that have become popular recently are generally anthropomorphic charicatures of fantasy/DnD staples, dressed in cod-medieval clothing, with large "cartoonish" heads.
Both are eaqually valid subjects but each will stretch very different "sculpting muscles", I chose one over the other down to personal preferance, not due to hatred of one.
Or come up with your own idea or pick one from the many suggestions already in this thread ;)

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:36 PM BST GMT »
Realms of Chaos beastly features wouldn't be such a bad theme. About to prep and prime quite a few of the old Champions of Chaos minis.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Icy

• warfairy.net
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:03 PM BST GMT »
Realms of Chaos beastly features wouldn't be such a bad theme.

Would be an awesome theme. Either beastmen or beastly features sounds great, count me in.