Author Topic: The monthly sculptalong  (Read 24262 times)

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
Re: The monthly sculptalong
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:19 AM BST GMT »
I'd second the Female form in 54mm for September. Good excuse for some hardcore anatomy and drapery study!

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 01:22:05 AM BST GMT »
I was thinking to do my first female for the august scifi.......  :P
54mm female sounds good though.
for the future how about...?
Animals/horses  :o
(small) Dinosaur  :P
Robot/insect/something with lots of hard edges.
maybe something along the lines of working in different styles e.g. caricature, realism, anime, abstract..... maybe not abstract just post impressionist

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 01:24:52 AM BST GMT »
Sorry wrong thread.... >:(

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 09:25:56 PM BST GMT »
so what is the subject for this month?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:01 PM BST GMT »
Still futuristic gang members. :)  We decided to try a two-month session, see if it gave more participants more time to try something.

ironmammoth

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:21 AM BST GMT »
I missed the start of the gang sculptalong, but I am looking forward to starting the next project.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 12:18:33 PM BST GMT »
I missed the start of the gang sculptalong

You've still got a month, though. ;)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 11:33:07 PM BST GMT »
I was all set for 'the female form' after futuristic gangs, but somehow it seems wrong not to do something spooky for October.  What do the rest of you think?

Offline Palocles

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 03:34:22 AM BST GMT »
Hi again

Ive been thinking about this alot, and I think it would be a good idea to get the monthly winner cast.  I will therefore offer to put the winners model in one of our master molds and send them as many copies as come off the mold when we spin our masters, its usually 8-10 copies. would you be interested in adding that to the future comps?

there are 2 provisos, it needs to be 28-35mm scale and it needs to be castable :D

steve
If this offer still stands then i think it could be a very good thing for both the forum and the skills of various sculptors and should be given another chance.

SA's need not be a competition but if there is a reward like this it may inspire some slower sculptors to actually finish and seeing ones work cast can be a very useful learning experience.

The 'winner' could be decided on factors that include: how good the finished sculpt is, wether they have 'won' before and how much the sculptor would benefit from seeing their work cast.

Obviously it would only apply to midscale SAs.

It could also help to bring in more budding sculptors.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 01:08:44 AM BST GMT »
Could be a good time to start thinking about this, and what exactly needs thought about.  Ownership and reproduction rights, at least; which have the potential to get a bit muddled and messy despite the best intentions of all parties.  And possible global transport.

And I still dunno how limiting the provisos might be.  Especially the first one. :-X  Like I said, a lot of the sculptalongs will be 28mm.  Most people are used to it.  But I want to put in a lot of other sizes too.  The Halloween monster sculptalong narrowly escaped being labelled '54mm'.

And whether Steve's still interested.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:32:41 AM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Palocles

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:13 AM BST GMT »
Is Steve Terragnosis?  Would be good if he can chip in again.

I think ownership and repro rights will obviously stay with the sculptor.  Only the castings from the master spins are on offer so there's no repro to deal with there and if the sculptor wants to have a production run they'll have to organise it themselves.  If the masters are spun again them i guess the casts that come off it will go back into the melting pot.

If the first proviso stays in effect them the 'prize' will obviously only apply to 28mm scale SAs.  Hopefully Steve/TG will feel generous and extend it to other scales.   :-*  Who ever 'wins' the prize will have to post their own model and probably paypal to Steve for the return post.  He can't be expected to pay the returns every couple of months.

But we need to see if the offer still stands, first.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 03:42:49 PM GMT GMT »
I have to admit that I haven't thought about this at all, in the last month.  I'll need to knuckle down.

Although (or because) I started my sculptalong vampire two weeks late, I had to rush it and shelved a few other, more important things to do so.  Not much good for what's supposed to be a fun little diversion.  I dunno how many others are having problems or thoughts like this, so I'm thinking of retrying the two-month timeframe - or maybe six weeks - for the next sculptalong.  Any opinions or objections?

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 04:12:22 PM GMT GMT »
I vote for two months. It's tough for me to fit a model in in the shortened time frame.

As for a theme suggestion, I'm going to suggest something I'm about to start working on anyway: Mounted Figures. :)
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline Palocles

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 02:34:41 AM GMT GMT »
A mounted figure is really 2 figures, quite a bit of work for a casual activity.  Maybe 2 SAs could run together for a mounted figure, first one the mount, second the rider?

There's always the option of borrowing an existing mount though.

Offline Bergil

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 10:32:12 AM GMT GMT »
Naked women for November right? And two months to do it in? I'm on board for this one!  ;D