Author Topic: The monthly sculptalong  (Read 24261 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
The monthly sculptalong
« on: April 24, 2010, 04:06:49 PM BST GMT »
May 2010 - 28mm Barbarians
June 2010 - 28mm Monster Hunters
July 2010 - 15mm Dark Age Warriors
August-September 2010 - 28mm Futuristic Gangs
October 2010 - 28mm Classic Monsters
November-December 2010 - The Female Form
January-February 2011 - 28mm Samurai

Current - 28mm Samurai

The rules are pretty simple.  Stick to the general forum rules.  This is non-competitive in that there will be no winners that receive prizes.  This is an informal activity, although participants are welcome to push and test themselves, compete for bragging rights, or simply bounce ideas and inspirations and see the individual results.  Sculpts don't have to be finished within the month, but each new sculptalong should begin on the first of each month.
Pictures can be posted in the relevant sculptalong topic, or on the WIP and Finished Sculpts boards (or on the Personal Logs board, if you want to place all your sculptalong progress and results together); though it would be handy to post notifications and links in the main topic.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:50:09 PM GMT GMT by Vermis »

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: The monthly sculptalong
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:13:19 PM BST GMT »
This shouldn't be too hard: what're your likes, dislikes and opinions for the monthly sculptalong? (including whether it should be called a 'sculptalong')  I think something nice 'n' generic would be good to get the ball rolling.  Humanoid and human-sized at 28-32mm, on a common theme.  Barbarian, anyone?

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:29:31 AM BST GMT »
Sculpt-a-long is a fine name, it suggests it's non competitive.

Barbarian is a good start, a classic to get the ball rolling.

I've also been tossing the idea of 'Monster Hunter' around. Opens it up to various genre. I was thinking you could have high fantasy dragon hunters, gothic Vanhelsing types, modern Crypitid detectives or Sci-Fi Alien Big Game hunters. It's quite a wide spectrum but by restricting it to a human/humanoid it would tighten the brief.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:56 AM BST GMT »
Not influenced by new console games at all? :)  Great idea, though.

I want to stick a few historical months in too, every so often, catering for a wide range of interests (and hopefully encouraging people to try something unfamiliar).  'Course, it'd include some 'pulpy' themes like the old west and pirates, among the exacting studies of military uniforms.

This TMP thread encourages me, in a way.  I'm also disappointed by a lot of historical minis (but maybe I'll save that spiel for further up the forum) and I'm curious to see if any sculptalongs here could produce something close to the kind of historical character minis the OP wants.  I don't know if I'd enforce Tom Meier's strictly realistic proportions, though. (But he does pwn that topic almost effortlessly)

I'd better mention that beside various themes, I want to stick in the odd different scales too.  Maybe it'd be a good idea to go window-shopping for optivisors. ;D

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:12:42 PM BST GMT »
Not influenced by new console games at all? :)  Great idea, though.

Surprisingly not! I've had the idea for a giant hunter, inspired by the character Balgus from the Vision of Escaflowne anime (basicly an old dude who fights giant magic mechs with a huge sword), bubbling around in the back of my mind for a while and thought a challenge would serve as motivation to start him!
Historicals scare the willies out of me, but a challenge is about pushing the envelope so I'd be down with it!

Same story with other scales, 54mm and 15mm have been on my to do list for an age so the motivation will come in handy!

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:37:37 PM BST GMT »
Surprisingly not! I've had the idea for a giant hunter...

Looking forward to it!

Historicals for July, then?  I'm at a loss for theme and scale, there.  The American War of Independence might be appropriate, but I'm wide open to suggestions. :P

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:32:05 AM BST GMT »
Historicals for July, then?

15mm Visigoths.

ironmammoth

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 01:20:38 PM BST GMT »
I am up for the Barbarian and the monster hunter (having done a "not" Van Helsing/Solomon Kane figure a few years ago, I know where I am coming from with that).

This is a great start and should actually get me back into sculpting.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:02:42 AM BST GMT »
Excellent. :)

Is it a bad thing when you do a google image search for visigoths, and the first result is a cartoon viking with a horned helmet?

Also, any regular members of CMoN here?  This might be of interest to some of the sculptors there, but while I'm a member I'm not much of a regular poster, and could risk coming across as spamming.  And they didn't seem to like the news announcement of minisculpture's opening.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:30:37 AM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline a_thousand_hats

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:05:18 PM BST GMT »
Love the title - sculptalong.

It feels really friendly and casual. Very encouraging for a beginner.

Offline terragnosis

• Terragnosis
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 12:52:33 PM BST GMT »
Ill enter something if digital sculptors are allowed?  and where do we post wip images?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:11:10 PM BST GMT »
Ah, I probably should've clearer about where to stick digital sculpts.  When it says 'purely digital sculpts' in the description of the Other Sculpting board, I mean it's for digital sculpts that aren't intended as minis and won't be printed as such.  Digisculpts that will end up as physical minis, like Terragnosis products, can go up in the main WIP and Finished Sculpt boards.

Sculptalongs, where the main aim is just to sculpt (though it certainly doesn't stop participants putting their results to commercial use ;)), could be a bit tricky with regards to digital sculptures.  My biggest worry is that I want sculptalongs to encourage sculptors to try different scales and see how they do.  That could be difficult to see and demonstrate with digital sculpts, and it'd be unfair to ask for (pricey?) 3D prints of every digisculpt at the right scale.

But then again, I don't intend sculptalongs to be anywhere near that strict and formal!  I'll probably set up more activities etc. for digital sculptors if more post on the boards, but until then digital sculpts are welcome in the sculptalongs, and can be posted on the same boards (see above).

And welcome to Minisculpture.  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:13:49 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline terragnosis

• Terragnosis
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:42 AM BST GMT »

Offline terragnosis

• Terragnosis
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:18:32 PM BST GMT »
Hi again

Ive been thinking about this alot, and I think it would be a good idea to get the monthly winner cast.  I will therefore offer to put the winners model in one of our master molds and send them as many copies as come off the mold when we spin our masters, its usually 8-10 copies. would you be interested in adding that to the future comps?

there are 2 provisos, it needs to be 28-35mm scale and it needs to be castable :D

steve

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 09:36:19 PM BST GMT »
The sculptalong isn't a contest, there are no winners. It's just a fun group activity.
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."