Author Topic: Planet Dinosaur  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Carcharoth

Planet Dinosaur
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:16:58 AM BST GMT »
So... I know there is a pervading dislike of CGI dinosaur documentaries here, but I've actually been enjoying this little series. They've kept the episodes short, so there isn't too much filler, they've made a real effort to link the animations to real fossil finds, and while the animation feels CGI, it also feels like they've put a real effort into making them lifelike.

Has anybody else been watching the series? Is it guilty of all the usual problems? I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgable of dinosaur enthusiasts, but I'm finding it fun and learning some random bits that I didn't know before (which I'm accepting as theory rather than necessarily fact, but the links to fossil evidence etc makes it more interesting).

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: Planet Dinosaur
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 06:55:01 PM BST GMT »
After four weeks I guess I should've mentioned it. :D

I've been enjoying it too.  The CGI's not photorealistic but it's good 'nuff, IMO, and much better than some I've seen.  And it's not the same 30 seconds repeated for half an hour, either.
The content's good too.  Lots of behaviour and ecology based on the hard graft on the fossils - "We think X did Y because of Z" for the most part, rather than "A did B so there" (Even if B was pulled out of nowhere, which was a complaint about Walking With Dinosaurs).  Carcharodontosaurs; Gigantoraptor; other feathered dinos; Komodo-mob-style Daspletosaurus, out of the shadow of it's more famous (most famous) cousin; hatchet-attack Allosaurs; and one of my faves, Saurophaganax, on screen for the first time.  :mrgreen:

There are a few complaints, though.  They might have played up the power of Spinosaurus a bit (bits of the first ep seemed like a retread of JP III), and it couldn't swivel it's hands into the 'bunny-hands' palms-down position.  Sinornithosaurus probably couldn't glide and the venom theory was debunked almost as soon as it was published.  Troodon bite marks =/= vicious pack-hunters - that seemed a bit like skinny servals taking down a zebra.  Not to mention they seemed a bit lightly-clad for the arctic!  And I wonder why the Centrosaurs continued to amble along while the Daspletosaurs ran amok among them.

I've seen a few other complaints on dinoblogs etc., which I can understand.  Sounds like me complaining about dragons!  It'd be nice if they could've tweaked a handful of details, with no detriment to the quality; but as it is, it's still top quality.  Looking forward to the next episodes - and a few more herbivores!

Offline Carcharoth

Re: Planet Dinosaur
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:36:52 PM BST GMT »
I was surprised at the lack of comment! Not surprised to hear it gets some complaints on dinoblogs though - I imagine they are nigh on impossible to please. Glad to hear it isn't too far off the mark though.

I've been watching it with Lexie (my 22 month old daughter) and have thus been very aware of the general focus on predators (pondering on more than one occasion whether it's really suitable). Would be nice to have an episode with slightly more time spent on the herbivores.