Author Topic: What's your favourite game?  (Read 12303 times)

Offline Silent_Spectre

• My website
What's your favourite game?
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:02:19 AM BST GMT »
Hey all!

Whilst I find my (video) gaming time to have reduced significantly since my daughter was born, I still love getting on the PS3/Wii every now and then.  I love games like oblivion, fallout 3, assasins creed etc and I'm finding that the aesthetics of these games have started to affect my sculpting.

So my question is: what's your favourite game? Have you noticed your sculpting style changing to adopt some of the styling from it?

Stuart

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
Re: What's your favourite game?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:27:11 PM BST GMT »
I tend to pull inspiration form a lot of sources, movies, tv, books, comic books and games.

If I'm in heavy video gaming mode than I tend to be very influenced by them. I went on a major greek binge after playing God of War and Fallout 3 has given me the post-apocalyptic near future bug - I plan on doing a not super mutant behemoth in the non to distant future!

My favourite game will forever be FFVII, with Zelda - A Link to the past, FO3, Shadow of Colossus (I'd love to sculpt an SOC style giant but to get the right scale and feel it would be huge! maybe in 10mm....) and GoW tied for a very close second!

ironmammoth

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:20 PM BST GMT »
I am not a heavy computer gamer, there never seems to be enough time to fit it in around everything else. It's not that I don't enjoy them, I just can't justify the time.

Sometimes however I do manage to get carried away with a game of Sid Meier's Civilization. It is totally addictive and "just one more turn" usually ends up something like 3 hours later...

CIV5 is out later this year, I wonder how long I will be able to resist getting hold of it?

Offline Bork

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:06:04 PM BST GMT »
When I look back at the (many) games I've played there are a lot of great ones, but if I have to chose the best one I've ever played then the choice is easy for me: Suikoden II. A 2D japanese rpg for the PS1, from 1998. Great story, characters, music, gameplay and graphics.

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:04:09 PM BST GMT »
When I look back at the (many) games I've played there are a lot of great ones, but if I have to chose the best one I've ever played then the choice is easy for me: Suikoden II. A 2D japanese rpg for the PS1, from 1998. Great story, characters, music, gameplay and graphics.

Never played Suikoden 2, but I loved the first one and lost a good portion of my early teens to that game!

Offline Bork

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:14 PM BST GMT »

Never played Suikoden 2, but I loved the first one and lost a good portion of my early teens to that game!

Yes, that's a good one too :)

If you liked Suikoden 1 then you would definitely like the 2nd. IMO it improves on virtually every aspect of the first game.

(Both these games were made in small numbers which means they're expensive nowadays. But there are emulators, thank god)

Offline Bergil

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 01:43:12 PM BST GMT »
FF7 without a doubt. oh and Dues ex... No I can't decide.

But recently I sometimes boot up Mount and Blade warband just to reassert my top dog position on the duel server as queen Messolina. Or line up some redcoats in Napoleon Total War.

Also brought Arthur the RPG game recently while it was going for a tenner, bloody awful it is. But kinda addictive at the same time... :/

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 01:22:01 AM BST GMT »
I don't own a games console, for the very good reason that I would never have time to eat, let alone sculpt if I did!!
As a kid my faves were Shadow of the beast, Golden axe, Alien storm, Simon the sorcerer. Teens were Future cop LAPD, GTA and Wipeout...... as a young adult I had to buy Judge Dredd for the PC, it would have been rude not to after spending my whole childhood reading 200AD!  8)

As far as influencing sculpting, I would say computer graphics inspire me more than the games.  ;)

Offline Palocles

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 03:20:34 AM GMT GMT »
I buy games, play them a few times for a week or so then hardly touch them afterwards.

I've got a PS2 and XBox 360 and download retro PC games from Abandonia but i find i don't have enough time to play them.  I probably could play them quite a lot actually but then i'd have no time for pissing away all my time on the interwebs.

I've got some many things i could be doing and end up doing the least productive.

Anyway, actual favourite type games would be Medal of Honor (even though it's spelt wrong), the GTA 3 series (GTA 4 has become too realistic and lost some charm), Bio Shock looks amazing and is fun too but i've played about one afternoon on it and not gone back.  Played a lot more of Gears of War (but haven't finished), Oblivion deserve more playtime too.

For stratergy i go for the old school like Civ, MoO and Imperialism.  But Abandonia has so many games on it...

Offline tabasco2152

• Company D Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:34 AM BST GMT »
Just bought 'Rise of flight' world war one flight sim- a must for aviation buffs .

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:12:42 PM BST GMT »
Age Of Empires 2 on the PC, Harvest Moon on the Wii. At the moment I'm into MAME emulator arcade games.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:21:40 PM BST GMT »
"UFO enemy unknown" maybe known as "X-COM" too. That was a good one.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:33:30 PM BST GMT »
I used to play X-Com on the PS1, brilliant game but I've never played it on PC.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:11:10 PM BST GMT »
I think there were some free versions of it ( or a very very similar clone ) somewhere around in the net for free. Don't know where though.

Last game I played was Mass Effect 3 on the PS 3. It sucked a little but was great at the same time. What I have learned from it is: Making things explode solves 99% of the problems that might occur in the futuristic world.^^

I would recommend playing it acutally, some great designs and some epic images in the game. Even more fun if you have played 1&2.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 02:32:21 AM BST GMT »
The one game I always come back to is Baldur's gate 2, and occassionally the original as well. Great plot to the game, such a huge world, the graphics still aren't too bad. I still haven't finished as every possible character type yet. I see they are making an enhanced version of it too :)