Author Topic: Dinosaurs Reanimated project  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Dinosaurs Reanimated project
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:22:05 PM BST GMT »
Sort-of 'TV and Film'...

http://dinosaursreanimated.blogspot.com/

Interesting, at least to me.  Some of the first dino animations I saw were 2D clips from an old '80's (?) documentary, and I still have fond memories, even after Jurassic Park changed the game.

From their mission statement:

Our goal is to put forth an alternative to the often scientifically inaccurate and artistically uninspired paleo documentaries that are the current standard on television channels offering science programming. We aim to do this by: 1) putting scientists and artists in direct and frequent communication and collaboration, 2) give greater weight to the creative and scientific input of the scientist(s) advising on the project, and 3) pioneer a unique 2d animation production pipeline, in which traditional hand drawn animation and background art is digitally colored and manipulated using advanced compositing techniques in order to efficiently create the illusion of detailed living creatures immersed in richly textured environments.

In other words, trying to change the game back.  Or at least the part of it that caused documentaries to rely too much on 'cheap' or misdirected CGI; nervously wobbly and fidgeting dinosaurs that float like Vic Reeves on Masterchef; and overmeddling by studio execs to present mindless monsters and incorrect info.  I can get behind that.  I don't know how far they'll get with it, but I hope they do well and I looking forward to the results.

Offline Bergil

Re: Dinosaurs Reanimated project
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:22:46 PM BST GMT »
I'm a bit of a dino nut myself (not as much as you though Vermis, hard to top) And the CGI animations ALWAYS wind me up.

Their movements never once look natural, ever. Not only do they look like fantasy creatures they also move like computer game characters. No scratch that, their movement is worse.

Anyway, rant over, looking forward to the next step in proper dino movement :)#

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:16:22 PM BST GMT »
nice start so far hope they will update it a lot, all by dino info is really to old

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:33:27 AM BST GMT »
Go that Vic'n'Bob sketch makes me feel old!
 :lol:

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:44:20 PM BST GMT »
Cryolophosaurus test animation

:froth:

Looks a bit 'flash'-y at the mo, but very promising IMO.