Author Topic: Games Workshop plastic trolls and orc boar riders  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Games Workshop plastic trolls and orc boar riders
« on: April 13, 2010, 05:40:20 PM BST GMT »

Too cartoony and angular for Warhammer's grimdark setting IMO.  Particularly the trolls - the teeth, the knuckles, fingers and toes, the size of the fingers and toes (and hands), back of the forearms, pecs and serratus, etc.  And the limitations of plastic moulds show up in some of the details, mostly the boars' fur.
And I don't like the cardboard-tile look of the troll scales.

But the worst thing is I quite like them, and they're still growing on me. :o
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:07:15 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
Re: Games Workshop plastic trolls and orc boar riders
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:57:33 PM BST GMT »
I see where they were going with the Boar Boys, but there's a massive clash of styles in there that just doesn't sit with me. The boars look good even the cartoony faces, and the riders are the usual solid post Nelson fare.  But the serious moody orc just doesn't go on the cartoony boar, they look like an ill conceived kit bash.

The Trolls have a toy-ish quality that I don't dislike but is definitely 10 steps in the opposite direction to GW's usual dark gothic fantasy. They're a bit privateer press if you ask me. I'd be interested to find out who 'sculpted' them. (I use the quotes as I'm sure they're digital)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:15:42 PM BST GMT »
They're a bit privateer press if you ask me.

Or WoW.  Or Tale of War, I thought. :)

I'd be interested to find out who 'sculpted' them. (I use the quotes as I'm sure they're digital)

Yup.  Either way, I hear it was Seb Perbett.  Bit of a better job for him than another orc/ork, if you ask me.

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:23:49 PM BST GMT »
I just twiged where I've seen the trolls before...

I do like them, in fact I like them a lot. The more I look at them the more I like them. The only thing that's bugging me at the minute ('EM paint job aside) is the scales. What i feared from digital sculpting seems to be manifesting it's self here, textures that should be organic seem rubber stamped and lacking 'character'.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:33 PM BST GMT »
 ;D  And I twigged where I've seen them.

(Wow, they have a lot of these.  Look - Planet Hulk versions!)

I hear you about the scales, although I don't think it's the fault of CAD sculpting.  Not entirely, anyway.  GW's a dab hand at turning out minis with inorganic scales.  These ones are just a different shape...
In fact, GW's CAD stuff seem to be a lot sharper than most 3D-printed minis I've seen.  Although that might be down to the 'cartoony' direction they're taking.  Cause or effect, d'you think?

That's assuming these new minis were digital sculpts, though.

Offline Gomez Addams

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:19:31 PM BST GMT »
First two trolls no, but the third one... I have to admit I really like it, and whilst I'm struggling to find a use for it if I can wrangle one in a trade it looks like a joy to paint up.

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:35:15 PM BST GMT »
I really like the trolls, but then, I like exaggerated musculature and slightly cartoony design.

The orcs are pretty terrible, though.
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline PhilH

• Philscustomsculpts
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:08 PM BST GMT »
Can't say I'm a fan of either. The Orks are fine for gaming, but don't offer anything to the collector and the Trolls look pretty grim in my opinion. I don't like the four top teeth, puny biceps and general look. Give me metal Trolls anyday.

Offline Frodoro

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:27:11 AM BST GMT »
Those are "good looking" trolls and boar riders. I find those plastic toys very well crafted. The designs are so intricate, very well thought of.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:29:55 PM BST GMT by Frodoro »

Offline muzifihu

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 08:23:06 AM BST GMT »
I have many plastic toys and other different games but I don't have time to play so if anyone need this then contact me. My full day is busy with professional essay writers so I cant use these are useless things fro me.