Author Topic: References - The Human Figure  (Read 11327 times)

Offline Andrew May

Re: References - The Human Figure
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 12:02:18 AM GMT GMT »
I'll have anoter look through my library.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 09:48:23 PM GMT GMT »
I've removed the Loomis PDF link.  I've just read this statement; I can't fault it too much and I'd also like to encourage people to buy the reprinted books than download the pirated versions.

Here are the new Titan editions.  I caught a glimpse of a copy in Waterstones a while back and it's good, glossy, large page size, hardback book.  If you're wondering about the quality of the actual contents, they're recommended by a lot of artists whose skills and experience leave this wee forum in the shade. :)

I'll probably add another couple of links soon, particularly if I can get a look at those public domain Bridgman books.  So keep your eyes open.

Edit: Dur!  Thanks Ink.  Fixed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:08:05 AM GMT GMT by Vermis »

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 12:03:52 AM GMT GMT »
Vermis, you linked to the post on conceptart.org twice- http://titanbooks.com/creators/andrew-loomis/
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Caerban

• My Den of Silliness
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 09:53:10 PM BST GMT »
Okay lads and lasses, I've just been reading a journal entry over on deviantART and someone has recommended an iphone/ipad app for anatomy. The creators of the application scanned a cast of Houdon's écorché then updated the model and added a simple planar view of the model and a skeleton with all bony landmarks highlighted. All the various models can be rotated through every which way.
Apparently.
I say apparently because I'm android all the way so I can't check it out although there is an android version in the pipeline.
It's available at the Apple store for $5 or there's a freebie version of just the original model and a basic skeleton.
As I said I can't guarantee the quality although I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the very talented sculptor who wrote the effusive journal. If any of you feel brave enough to take the plunge let us know what it's like.

Offline InternalClock

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 07:42:16 AM BST GMT »
Okay lads and lasses, I've just been reading a journal entry over on deviantART and someone has recommended an iphone/ipad app for anatomy. The creators of the application scanned a cast of Houdon's écorché then updated the model and added a simple planar view of the model and a skeleton with all bony landmarks highlighted. All the various models can be rotated through every which way.
Apparently.
I say apparently because I'm android all the way so I can't check it out although there is an android version in the pipeline.
It's available at the Apple store for $5 or there's a freebie version of just the original model and a basic skeleton.
As I said I can't guarantee the quality although I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the very talented sculptor who wrote the effusive journal. If any of you feel brave enough to take the plunge let us know what it's like.

I've read this 3 times and can't see the actual name of the app.

Offline Caerban

• My Den of Silliness
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 10:13:28 AM BST GMT »
That's because I'm an idiot :)
It's called L'écorché.

Offline InternalClock

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 11:01:37 AM BST GMT »
Cool, looking forward to giving it a bash tonight

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 03:26:14 PM BST GMT »
Added a duplicate link to Anatomy for Sculptors.

Offline Local_Ork

• ...Wut?
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 07:52:05 PM BST GMT »
A nifty little trick I've discovered recently:

As 3D models are (to some extent) sculptures in computer, we can use them for reference.
-But how we do it, oh omniscient L_O?
It turns out that many 3D applications have an option to export meshes into some form of "turntable" render.
Like this one (downloaded video [I use Firefox plug] can be used with video player on Your PC. Even more, You can pause it and "rotate" object with control bar!).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TngmU16Hds
Or whole bottomload from ZBrush site, completely for free! (most of them offer "painted" preview along with "unpainted" one, sometimes details too)
http://pixologic.com/turntable/
[edit: well it turns out some authors like to put several models under one "icon".]

Basically Google "turntable XXXX" to hopefully find XXXX, either as image or video (be sure to search in videos, not just Youtube.). For free!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:00:35 PM BST GMT by Local_Ork »

Offline zemjw

• My blog
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 01:12:43 PM BST GMT »
There are a few apps in the Android Play Store at the moment (enter "3d anatomy" into the play store search box).

I bought 3d Anatomy for £3.20 and it's proving quite useful. There's a skeleton that you can rotate, zoom and pan, and there are options to overlay with muscles (and veins etc.). Clicking on a bone/muscle highlights it and shows its name.

There is a lite version (with adverts), which shows the whole skeleton, but only the head muscles.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 11:14:53 PM BST GMT »
Finally added suggestions from the last two posts.

That youtube video is a bit blurry but looks pretty good for tricky 3D bits that 2D images might have trouble with. Unfortunately, when I looked, there were no anatomy refs in the pixologic gallery or googling for turntable XXXX.

Nice suggestion about the app. :) New category created. I want to try to beef up that and the online links, so if there's anything else that looks good, post it up! I'll try not to take several months to look at it, next time...