Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 7602 times)

Offline Teekupp

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 04:34:50 PM BST GMT »
Just finished reading Legion the Damned a Black Library book by Rob Sanders a very descent read I was a tad concerned when i finished chapter 18 of 21 and the legion still had not shown up, but overall a good book about a space marine chapter on the edge of falling appart from within with internal strife, and when the bad boys in black did show up it was handled very well indeed, I was not dissapointed, butal, dark and even quite funny at times highly recommended.

Offline tabasco2152

• Company D Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 09:01:39 AM BST GMT »
Not so much reading but just flicking through- Victrix - The Roman Army in miniature - An Andrea press modelling guide wiith some good pictures and a lovely fold out colour plate section of the Roman army from early to late with tools ,weapons,equipment etc - picked it up off Amazon for about £10.

Offline Bergil

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 01:14:14 PM BST GMT »
Full Thrust and it's additions.

Very slowly....

Why? It's a good rules set, considering I get very little gaming time I like to play what I think are the very best of rules and this is one of them. If not the one!

That and I like space ship thingies 8-[

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:52 PM BST GMT »
I'm back to reading The Wheel of Time series. I went off them a while back when I got up to about book 8 and then I had to wait for them to be written. Now that there is only one book left in the series (apparently) to come out I'm reading them again. I bought them from the book depository in the UK. Cheaper than buying them over here in NZ (marginally) and no postage cost!! So far I'm only halfway through book 2 of the 13 I have. I'm a slow reader but I enjoy them all the same. The last book should be well out by the time I get to it.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 03:11:34 PM BST GMT »
just finished with the first 2 of the dresden files series, still need to start book 3
I like the modern wizard idea

Offline Caerban

• My Den of Silliness
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 07:33:30 PM BST GMT »
just finished with the first 2 of the dresden files series, still need to start book 3
I like the modern wizard idea

They just get better and better :)

Offline tabasco2152

• Company D Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 09:24:25 AM BST GMT »
Reading a biography of 'Bloody Bill Anderson' by Castell and Goodrich - Civil war guerrilla.

ironmammoth

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 03:49:07 PM BST GMT »
Listening to the audiobook of Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec. It is the book that was (very loosely) turned into the Vin Diesel movie Babylon A.D.

It is a very deep and complex mix of near future military SF with a hint of cyberpunk. A techno thriller!

I am only about half way through it but I am very glad I saw the movie first, if I'd read the book first and then seen the movie I would have been really disappointed by it.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 12:56:05 AM GMT GMT »
I got hold of a few different books in the last week.  A root through a second-hand bookshop turned up a copy of Triplanetary and the BL/Horus Heresy Descent of Angels.

For those not in the know, Triplanetary is the first in the series of EE 'Doc' Smith's classic Lensman series.  I'll leave the synopsis to Google and Wikipedia.  I'll just say that it was a bit... disappointing.  Even taking into account some dated '30's assumptions (the least of which is that, hundreds of years in the future, Englishmen say "I say," at the beginning of every sentence), the writing and characterisation aren't too good (or even existant).  What Doc seems to be mainly interested in is vaguely scientific ideas of space flight and space combat, and at times it starts to seem like kids running around a playground, playing make-believe oneupmanship.  "And then my Nevian cruiser shoots it's brand-new unstoppable megaultrahyper-ray!"  "But my Tellurian supership knew you'd shoot that and made a hyperultramega-shield that can stop every ray or bomb or bullet ever!"
The resolution of this first book is a particular insult to the intelligence, IMO.  But the bookshop has a small stack of the Lensman books and I haven't given up yet.  I'll see what Descent of Angels is like first, though.

Other books: a copy of Molly Bang's How Pictures Work, which I've been meaning to get for a while.  A basic intro to composition and design, but food for thought.
Lastly, a local Poundland branch had a stack of copies of Alien vs. Predator: The Visual Effects of ADI.  Guess for how much.  And don't be put off by the title!  A lot of crappy movies are otherwise very pretty, and this has some great chapters filled with pics of concept art, maquettes, production sculpts, animatronics, etc.  Pretty good stuff.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 09:26:35 AM GMT GMT »
I have to get me some new books, I caught myself the other day reading the same books I have read like five times already. So if anyone can recommend some nice science fiction I would be really happy. Last thing I read ( and only for the third time ) was from Umberto Eco, the "Foucault's Pendulum". Funny, interesting and a little bit weird, but definately recommendable.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline PBartholdy

• Demiurge Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 08:15:54 AM GMT GMT »
Hi Mati, I realize your post was from a year ago, but better late than never, right?

I just read the two first books in the Ender series by Orson Scott Card. I was sold almost immediately. Quite intelligently written while at the same time being very easy to read. If you haven't read those (Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead) then I recommend you pick them up.

Same goes for Robert Heinleins Starship Troopers. He might be pro-military fascism, but if you find it interesting to get a viewpoint presented without necessarily subscribing to it, then go for it. It should also be said that the book has almost nothing in common with the movie. The book is an intelligent argument for citizenship through military duty, whereas the movie is a satiric criticism of the viewpoints of the book.

I could recommend many more books, but I haven't got the time right now. Personally I'm currently reading Peter F. Hamiltons Nights Dawn trilogy. If you like space opera, and are unfamiliar with his works, have a look there too.
Visit my website at www.demiurgeminis.com/

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 12:13:37 PM GMT GMT »
Oh thanks! Will look into the Ender series then, saw the movie already and I think the books might be actually pretty good from what I got from the movie already. As for Starship Troopers, read it and liked it. Definately recommendable.

Cheers!
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline PassionSculpt

• Lover The Sculpting Artform
    • Sculpting Shop
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 08:30:20 AM GMT GMT »
Im reading Ceramic Sculpture: Making Face

Actually A really Good Book I Think

Pretty Informative and Is Helping Me Sculpt My Brothers Face, Haha

Check It Out http://www.onlinesculptureshop.com/human-face-sculpting-book/
Passion For Sculpting