Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 7846 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
What are you reading?
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:00 AM BST GMT »
I've finally read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?  It was... weird.  Not bad, but weird.  And fairly different to Blade Runner.  Typical Philip K. Dick, then.  Afterwards I had to sit and wonder what exactly the takeaway message was, or how many there were.

On to Game of Thrones.

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:11:58 PM BST GMT »
I was a huge reader in elementary and high school (a book a week for a decade), and kept it up where I could when I was in University. But I pretty much stopped dead when I became a "real person". I never thought about it much until recently-- the common denominator was having 90+ minutes on a bus every day, which ended when I got a job and car. I no longer have "dead time" to kill.

But I, like many people, recently watched Game of Thrones and have decided to give reading another go with the rest of the series. I'm glad for it, as the books are really fantastic, but I'm finding it hard to find the time to make progress.

But I keep at it.

*shrug*
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline Bergil

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:19:41 PM BST GMT »
the rules for AK47, wars in africa or some such.

Having lived out there for some time I've taken an interest in said rules. neither have I understood a single page of it yet, but then that isn't eactly uncommon with me.

Offline Webby

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:52 PM BST GMT »
Currently reading Dragonfly Falling by Adrian Tchaikovsky book 2 of Shadows of the Apt.  A really good read so far the world and people are different enough from most other fantasy to be refreshing.

I read quite a lot at least a book a week and I can easily read 3 or 4 books at once which confuses people no end, literally I can read a book stop midway and then pick up a different one read that and possibly a few more than back to the first one for a bit no need to recap straight back in :)

Offline Caerban

• My Den of Silliness
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:51:45 AM BST GMT »
Just finished Jim Butcher's Codex Alera books and the latest Harry Dresden. Currently reading a kids book called The Puppetmaster by Joanne Owen, given to me by my ex because I've just started my Diploma in Professional Puppetry. She's thoughtful like that :)

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:48:18 AM BST GMT »
I'm currently 4 books into Steven Ericsson's 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' saga. It's heavy going, but rewarding if you persevere!

Just

Offline tabasco2152

• Company D Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:35:43 PM BST GMT »

Offline chris

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:39:36 AM BST GMT »
A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3 Part 1)
by George R. R. Martin

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:00:03 PM BST GMT »
Sharpes Tiger by Bernard Cornwell, India 1799 Sharpe is still a private about a big siege and Sharpe is in the city spying not a bad story I think the first in the Sharpe series but I like the ones in Spain and France more , started with it 2-3 years ago did not finished then no idea why, found it again a few days again and left off where I stopped.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:28:06 PM BST GMT »
I am reading Stanislaw Lems "Weapon Systems of the 21st Century or the Upside Down Evolution" hard to get through such a little book at the moment. :(
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline NightwindKing

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 12:49:58 PM BST GMT »
I actually picked-up one of the Mechwarrior books a while ago. Got halfway through and got distracted. I should probably finish it...hate having unread books on my shelf...

Other than that: nothing huge. I still need to go back and finish Mainspring...and the latest Halo novel sounds good (actual literary reviews? *gasp*!)

ironmammoth

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:28 PM BST GMT »
I'm reading Rise of the Iron Moon by Stephen Hunt at the moment. Have been reading it on and off for about 6 months. I have had to read a few books for review purposes and they have broken my train of thought with the Hunt book.

It's a shame as it is a damn good book. I will get back to it and finish it shortly.

Alternate Victorian Steampunk Science Fantasy should really have a genre of it's own  :lol:

Offline NightwindKing

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:02:02 PM BST GMT »
Definitely :-)

You should check-out Mainspring. It's by Jay...something. lol. Anyway, I'd call it Clockpunk, but it's pretty unique in that.

Also, have you read Clockwork Heart?

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 02:36:19 PM BST GMT »
Next up for me is Phillippe Farrauts mastering portraiture, looking forward to it. ^^
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:58 PM BST GMT »
I used to read all the time as a lad but I barely have chance to post here atm let alone read a novel, just time to post in drive by arguments on frothers!