Author Topic: Northumbrian Saxons  (Read 10112 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Northumbrian Saxons
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:09 AM BST GMT »
For my gaming club's future Warhammer Ancients dark ages competition.  Maybe I can use it to get people interested in Hail Caesar too, but anyway.  From small acorns: Gripping Beast plastic saxons.

The converted Eorl and his bodyguard of Thegns:

The Ealdorman standard bearer, and a half-unit of Thegns:

Units of Thegns can be split up to lead units of lesser warriors.  Usually Ceorls, but for these Northumbrians the back ranks will be made up of Geburs. (even lesser warriors)

And why Northumbrians?  Apparently they fielded more mounted Thegns than other saxon kingdoms; sometimes entirely mounted armies.  Reflected in the WAB Shieldwall rules.  A saxon force with a lot of horses sounded a bit familiar.

Offline Heresy Miniatures

Re: Northumbrian Saxons
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:39:05 PM BST GMT »
I'm Northumbrian. Where's me in that unit?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:06:06 AM BST GMT »
:lol:

Tell you what, I went for these because they were cheap and I could buy a bunch before the tourney, but I'm going to slowly replace them with another brand.  If you can grow a pimpin' 'tache and post pics online by the time I get round to the characters...

Offline Heresy Miniatures

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:34:56 PM BST GMT »
 :lol: I was thinking of growing a 'tache for Movember...

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:11:57 PM BST GMT »
:lol:

Tell you what, I went for these because they were cheap and I could buy a bunch before the tourney, but I'm going to slowly replace them with another brand.

Eastland?
The plastic fellows there are fine for gaming.  8-)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:44 PM BST GMT »
Tanatus.  Luverly sculpts, finely detailed and well proportioned, but pricey.
Compared to most historicals anyway.

I thought these Gripping Beast plastics looked great in a magazine review, and thought they'd be a doddle to put together.  But there are only 32 spears to share among 44 figures; the arms fit horribly (notice the half-arsed gap-filling on the characters); cleaning up the mould lines on all those individual bits near drove me batty (Especially on the leg bindings.  I'm surprised I don't wake up screaming.); and with spears poking in all directions they're a bugger to rank up.

Another example of stellar design: I've got a box of GB vikings for dogs of war.  Each main sprue of ten vikings has two dane axes ('great' axes), but only one set of arms to hold them.

Still, nice to finally see 'em all ranked up and ready for war.  Or the brush.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:47:04 PM BST GMT »
That's what I said.  ;)
TANATUS MINIATURES by R J Eastland, lovely chap too.
I keep meaning to get some myself (for fantasy but still who know's where they might take me).

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 01:01:41 PM BST GMT »
But in the meantime they're schooling most of the new plastic producers.

I say this while tearing my hair out over aforementioned vikings.  Never seen minis so awkward to put together, and I have a Malifaux gang...

That's what I said.  ;)
TANATUS MINIATURES by R J Eastland

Oh right.  :oops:

Need to order some cavalry and spearmen sharpish, to get them filed, primed, and three-coloured for this time next week.  At the mo I'm flying in the face of my best judgement and very nature to build units on time, clipping out bits and gluing them - ignoring mould lines; nicking off sprue joins only; leaving great huge gaps. (though getting back to what I said above: the latter's not so difficult with these minis)

I'm using superglue and black acrylic gesso, though.  Hopefully that'll leave it easy to strip and pop them apart again, for proper attention later.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 05:23:07 PM BST GMT »
This here:

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=272548

... works very well.  Though I brushed the gesso on in a slightly thinner layer.

Anyways.  Apologies for running off from the forum (if anyone noticed).  I got most of the minis primed and partly-painted, including the cavalry that arrived the day before*, and grew to loathe them so much I didn't care that I lost both games yesterday.  Only thing is, it's a round robin tourney (or something) with no eliminations, so I have to look at these shonky things for at least another two-three meetings. :(

*The final twelve spearmen popped through the letterbox just before I rushed out the door to the club meeting.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:58:29 PM BST GMT »
A win makes me look at my saxons with a little more affection. :)  Third game of six, vs. irish, and probably the only win I'll get, but I'll take it.

Spotted a situation where I could charge some screening skirmishers on the left flank and overrun into his cavalry before it charged me, then pin it down with rank bonuses if nothing else.  Managed to drive the cavalry back and clear a space for my own cavalry and a small unit of viking mercs to smash into his exposed flank, while my shieldwalls held the rest of his line in place.  Might've rolled 'em all up if we hadn't run out of time. :P

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 12:29:56 AM BST GMT »
What were the space marines doing during all of this?  0;)