Author Topic: cthulhu scenery/ wip  (Read 5093 times)

Offline ink the troll

cthulhu scenery/ wip
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:11:34 PM BST GMT »
posted this on frothers allready, but the scenery section around here isn't frequented to often, so i figured i'd post it here as well:

--

at first i only wanted to build a little bit of flattish cave terrain with a little backdrop, so the scenery bits bought from cthulhuminati wouldn't feel so lonely. but monday turned out to be the start of a really shitty week, so by wednesday i decided to start building something a bit bigger.

not overly interessting so far. as of yet almost nothing is glued together, just slotted into the foam or held together by toothpicks.
the piece will have to support a bit of weight though, since i've decided to build a street on top of it. i've put a wooden stool on top of the structure as a test, so i guess once properly glued and with a bit more support (stalagmites + stalactites) added it should be fine.

dimensions: roughly 20cm deep and 35 cm wide

--

tiny update.

stalagmites + stalactites will look better once they're finished, but i can only add a little of the mixture i use to build them up at a time. they tend to look less like termite hills covered in elephant dung later on...
for anyone interessted, that's what i use for texturing:

for more solid rock formations, i use the woodfiller (the tub on the right) and apply it with pallette knives.
for the cave floor and the dripstones i mix it with some wood glue and water. depending on where the mix is supposed to go, i either pour it onto the surface or lett it drip from the spoon/ a pallette knife.

--

tiny update, started on one of the walls:

--

starting  to look a bit more cavey:

some details:

sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: cthulhu scenery/ wip
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 04:11:23 PM BST GMT »
posted this on frothers allready, but the scenery section around here isn't frequented to often, so i figured i'd post it here as well:

Much appreciated. :)

Nice work too.  Already a great sense of atmosphere about it.  Looking forward to see it when the termite hills are a bity more refined. :)

Also: that's the stuff Crumbreaper on Frothers sculpted, innit?  Fairly creepy-like.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:16:46 PM BST GMT »
(...) Also: that's the stuff Crumbreaper on Frothers sculpted, innit?  Fairly creepy-like.
yes. and it's quite big and massive!

was hoping posting this here might inspire some more people to post similar topics (i just love watching things come together bit by bit)
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:36:10 PM BST GMT »
copy & paste:

dripstone looking more like what it's supposed to look
also started on some buildings to go on top. still haven't decided on how exactely the street will look like. also wondering if i should add a little graveyard.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:02:46 PM BST GMT »
It's turning out more massive than I originally thought. :)  Coming together nicely.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:38:25 PM BST GMT »
yep, it's fairly big.

weather wasn't too great the last few days, so pics are far too dark or overexposed, but this should give a good idea on the size of the hole thing so far:

(for the curious: the sign stuck to the window fully reads 'nichts aus dem fenster werfen' = don't throw anything out of the window.
my grandma's got alzheimers and i'm taking care of her since decembre 2004 - i'm building that in her kitchen.)
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:21:24 PM BST GMT »
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Krysset80

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 04:00:37 PM BST GMT »
Great stuff, something very Lovecraft about those stairs :)

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:44:24 PM BST GMT »
Really should remember to order more foam so I can replace/ finish the buildings.

.:edit:.
Edited for shitty spelling (at least this time I can blame that stupid flu- damn dizzyness and nosebleed).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:47:29 PM BST GMT by ink the troll »
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 09:18:02 PM BST GMT »
Finally remembered to take a few pics, this was the most decent looking one.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:27:29 PM BST GMT »
Looking good.:)  But I don't know what'd drive me nuttier: drawing all those cobbles, or scoring them in.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:12:58 PM BST GMT »
It's not as bad as it looks, since the drawing and scoring happens in one go  (a bit boring though).
Getting the foamed pvc to stick to itself is far more annoying. Might have to try some other glue for that.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing