Author Topic: Aquatic monster concept  (Read 5876 times)

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
Aquatic monster concept
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:10 PM BST GMT »
Good news: I'm totally doing the July challenge.

Bad news: I'm doing it in August instead. My July kinda sucks.

I'm excited anyway. :)

I did my first concept yesterday at the bar while waiting for my dinner:

Random notes:

1. For anyone who knows Warmachine, this is going to be a Circle Orboros light warbeast ridden by a Tharn Bloodtracker (an alternate shark-obsessed island Tharn tribe from some fluff published last year).

2. I want him to have more octopus, so I'll probably replace the eyes with octopus eye stalks, and he'll definitely be painted in octopus camo. I originally wanted him to have a small webbed mantle somewhere (maybe under the arms), but it looked a bit silly when I tried to execute it. Debating the merits of a beak, though I definitely want to keep the shark mouth, and I think a beak might look silly around that. Further concepts will tell, I guess.

3. I ran out of room for the feet. Basically his legs are a shark tail split in half, so he has small fins on the sides, and the feet are going to be toeless tail fins. My mental conception says he swims long-distance with his legs together moving side-to-side, then pulls them apart into legs for "maneuvering" in a fight.

4. He's going to have armor and a rider. The armor will be a few odd plates (shoulders mostly, maybe forehead) strapped on with nets. The rider will be between the dorsal fins, holding the netting and brandishing a short spear.

More concepts to come.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:55:40 PM BST GMT by captainspud »
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
Re: Aquatic monster concept
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:21:11 AM BST GMT »
interastion concepts thats for sure will be watching closely

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:50 PM BST GMT »
Looks interesting!  Especially like the shape of the head etc.  Reminds me of something I should look at one of these days, too.

Debating the merits of a beak, though I definitely want to keep the shark mouth, and I think a beak might look silly around that. Further concepts will tell, I guess.

How about a fleshy tube in the throat that the beak emerges from, in the vein of a xenomorph tongue-mouth?

Maybe look at the top right demonstration here, too. :)  (I have the book that's featured in.  I should review it here sometime)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:50:50 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Bergil

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:47:11 AM BST GMT »
Very monstery. With all the animals in there I'd expect something different for the legs rather than human ones? I'd be tempted to put the octopus legs as actual legs, mind you I owuldn't know what to put in place of the arms. Crab claws or something obvious like that  :)

Anyway, I'm talking crap. It's your monster, do what you want with it.

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:57:22 PM BST GMT »
Did some head concepts a couple weeks ago, finally scanned them today:

First one keeps the "sharkiness" of the head but swaps in octopus eye stalks. Second one goes for a beak with teeth inside-- neat-looking, but not sure if it's what I'm after.

Between the three, I still kinda prefer the original, but the left head here seems like a better blend of octopus and shark to me.

Thoughts?
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:49:47 PM BST GMT »
I agree.  But, not casting aspersions on your drawing, if the left mouth and snout was more obviously sharklike...
I know a wide gaping mouth with rows of sharp triangular teeth is already sharky enough! ;)  But if you're open to a couple of suggestions: a more rounded jaw, at the front and underneath.  Teeth that go right to the front, with a minimal 'lip', if any.  The kind of 'upper lip' that appears when some sharks open their mouth wide.  Slightly longer snout.  Sharklike nostrils.