Author Topic: References - Animal Anatomy  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
References - Animal Anatomy
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:33:17 PM GMT GMT »
ANIMALS

Online Resources

Veterinary Anatomical Illustrations - at the University of Wisconsin Digital Collections.  Detailed skeletal, musculature and life restorations of horses, cattle, lions and dogs.  Unfortunately no key.

Books

An Atlas of Animal Anatomy for Artists
W. Ellenberger
Dover Publications Inc.
Has a lot of the plates from the University of Wisconsin link above, but has full keys (and print is better than a digital copy!)

Animals in Motion
Edwaerd Muybridge
A fantastic collection of sequenced shots of animals of all kinds in all kinds of motion. Created in the late 1800's it's an awesome piece of work, even today.

Modelling and Sculpting Animals
Edouard Lanteri
Dover Publications inc.
Features chapters and multiple musculature diagrams on horses, lions and bulls.

EXTINCT ANIMALS

Online Resources

Drawing Raptors - a tutorial by H. Kyoht Luterman.  Presents much advice on restoring dromaeosaurid dinosaurs, according to current understanding.

Pterosaur.net - a site about pterosaurs, oddly enough.  Features pages on anatomy and restoration.

Skeletal Drawing - skeletal reconstructions of dinosaurs.  Also some musculature and general anatomy guides.  Author also has a deviantArt account with more of the same.

Books

The Scientific American Book of Dinosaurs
Edited by Gregory S. Paul
Published by St. Martin's Press (OOP)
Among various dinosaur essays - collected mostly from Scientific American - it features a chapter on restoring the life appearance of dinosaurs, and a gallery of (admittedly small) skeletal drawings.  Recommended if you're generally interested in dinosaurs.

Post your own personal suggestions on what you've found useful, for inclusion in the list.
Post questions, discussions or reviews on the main board.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:46:36 PM GMT GMT by Vermis »

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
Re: References - Animal Anatomy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:08:19 PM BST GMT »

Offline Angora

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:57:45 PM BST GMT »
[urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Animals-Motion-Eadweard-Muybridge/dp/0486202038]Animals in Motion[/url]
Edwaerd Muybridge

A fantastic collection of sequenced shots of animals of all kinds in all kinds of motion. Created in the late 1800's it's an awesome piece of work, even today.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:01:11 AM BST GMT »
Added!  I love copy & paste.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:58:36 PM GMT GMT »
Vermis know of a good anatomy book for animals? My wife is Christmas shopping for me.

All the Aces: An Atlas of Animal Anatomy for Artists.  It's on my Christmas list too.

And while I'm here, I stumbled across an old flyer from my Vinciana anatomy book, advertising human and horse anatomy plates.  They look excellent on the site, but they're another thing to scrape the pennies for.