Author Topic: The Results  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
The Results
« on: June 18, 2011, 07:50:43 PM BST GMT »
The votes from the crew at Impact! Miniatures are in, and the winners have been selected.  The top three entries are:

First place: Sonny's Halfling Manager

Second place: Sazerac's Barbarian

Third place: Zorro's Fat Monster

Congratulations to Sonny, Sazerac and Zorro, and thanks to all for participating in the first Mini Sculpture competition. :)  Much thanks also to Tom, Chris and Ramsay of Impact! Miniatures for their various contributions to the competition.  Lastly, but not least, thanks to Palocles for his work and getting the ball rolling.

I'll leave it to Tom, if he wishes, to post any notes and to contact any entrants about the Targeted Impact! program.

Offline Bergil

Re: The Results
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:12:30 PM BST GMT »
Well done!  :)

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:43:34 PM BST GMT »
Well done to all involved and congratulations to the winners, not far off what I had in mind tbh.  ;)

Offline Sazerac

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:58:40 AM BST GMT »
Wow, Thanks alot Impact! guys.
And thanks Vermis for running the comp.

And congratulations Sonny!

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:45 AM BST GMT »
One other thing to congratulate Sonny on is; well done for the idea in the first place! It's an important thing to remember that (with no offence to anyone intended) even the cleanest most tecnically perfect sculpt can be boring and generic if it has no "soul". What Sonny's sculpt had in spades was character, it's a hard thing to define and it's often used as a cover all excuse for shortcomings but in this case the fun element shone through. Well done again sir! :D 

Offline zorro

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:45:21 AM BST GMT »
Naturally I am quite chuffed.
Congrats to all participants, and thanks to all involved in making it happen!

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 04:11:54 PM BST GMT »
well done guys and well deserved

Offline Sonny

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:26:38 PM BST GMT »
Big congratulations to Sazerac and Zorro, and everyone else who entered  :D

Was very surprised to find out I had taken first place, I was sure my piece was too vaguely football-ish to be a contender. Glad people liked it, and thanks again for the good feedback.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:35:49 AM BST GMT »
Congrats Sonny, Sez and Zorro!

I think we had something like 17 entries which is pretty good for the first run.  Hopefully next years comp will get more still.

And thanks, Vermis, for running this site!

Offline ImpactMiniatures

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 04:40:37 PM BST GMT »
Was very surprised to find out I had taken first place, I was sure my piece was too vaguely football-ish to be a contender. Glad people liked it, and thanks again for the good feedback.
The figures that sell the best for us are sideline figures (coaches, referees, cheerleaders) that have a lot of character.   In the case of this figure while it doesn't have a football or shoulder pads it is not typical halfling/hobbit attire and it is in the very characteristic pose that screams the sterotype of team owner / manager.

Zorro's monster was well liked by all 3 of us ... we all felt the only thing keeping him from making it was he needed to have more football elements (the jersey shirt alone just wasn't enough football flavour for us).  If he had a good shoulder pad, he very likely would have gained the 2nd place slot.

Palocles' McBrick was a close 4th in this contest based on the voting (we had to have a tie breaker between this and Zorro's figure in our voting).  If he had had the time to add on a football helmet or hair and some hair on the feet as I believe was planned ... he would have pushed up into the top 3.  

Some other notes ... I will mention everyone and if I offend anyone ... massive apologies up front ... I'm going to be as constructive as I can:

dracon magis's runner was very well sculpted.  What knocked it out was the angle of the legs.  We all really like the concept he was trying to go for and it makes for a very dynamic idea, but in the end the legs did not capture that and in fact make the figure look like he is falling (or at least very uncomfortable).   Its a great sculpt and the character is well done.  If you had nailed the legs I think this could have definitely been a top 3 contender.

Revliss' 'Elf Chick':  Nice character.  The hand holding the ball did it in for the voting.  Its not a pose of a player for the field and didn't really work for us as a sideline figure.  If you remove the hand with the football and replace it with a pom pom, the pose would be good and it would be a nice figure that could be marketable.  

Andrew's Ghoul:  Andrew we've seen your other work and you do VERY good stuff in our opinion.  However this sculpt just doesn't feel undead-ish to us and if we look at it as a human instead ... it didn't really hit the buttons.  The pose is trying for dynamic catcher but the pose if leaning a bit too upright to capture that.   The technical details of the sculpt look very good ... you have talent.  This sculpt just did not capture us as knowing where it would fit.

Silent Invader's Thrower:  You have the body proportions down.  The body needed more definition and the ability to do better faces will come better with practice.   The ball seemed a bit large and the way she is holding it was not that natural of a pose (for this I recommend using Google image searches to find a real life arm and hand position in relation to the ball to nail this).

Sazerac's Marauder:  Overall ... well done that's why it took 2nd.  The one comment we had between the 3 of us is that he has such a massively developed chest that his arms did not look in proportion to his chest.  We would have thought there would be more muscle mass on the arms to match with the amount of work/effort he would have had to do in order to develop a torso/chest that looked like that.

Bergil's Human with Orc Head:   You might not like this feedback Bergil.  We really like his first face a lot more ... we felt it matches the general grimness that would match up with the character of the figure.  Overall we liked the details of the figure.  In the end, the concept of a player carrying around the head of an Orc didn't reasonate with us (as in a game this violent ... that would actually be a bit of a handicap.  I've seen this done well in one diorama where the football was on the ground next to a Human player without a head and Thrud was running downfield holding the head instead of the ball (but that had contextual reference and comedy value from all the elements).   So its a good sculpt ... we think the first face was the better one than the final submission.  The character of the piece just did not capture us.

Mondria's 'Goblin Quarterback':  Mixed feedback:  you had some that loved the concept of a bionic Goblin and others in the judges that didn't think it looked like Goblin technology (ie it looks too refined).  So there was a debate on the character of the figure.   The way he is holding the ball also was a concern as it looked like it should almost fall out of his hand as his hand was pretty far back.   Finally, the curse of sculptors we've found ... the photograph made the figure so small it was difficult to appreciate the fine details.  A better close up was needed to better judge.  Overall though ... points for getting a different character of sculpt ... you definitely had an interesting concept.

===

I hope I have offended no one with this feedback.  I mean it all to be helpful and to give some insights as to the discussions we had regarding the figures.   If you have questions, feel free to contact me and I'll try to answer them as best as possible.

I'll PM folks with possible offers for the figures they did to enter our Targeted range.  Several we might ask for small changes to accept it.  You are of course under no obligation at all to send the figure to us for our Targeted program ... but we wanted to make some offers as we saw a lot of promise in several of the entries.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to enter the contest.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:20:41 PM BST GMT by ImpactMiniatures »

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:10:59 PM BST GMT »
Thanks a lot for the feedback, Tom. :)

Offline Bergil

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:28:06 PM BST GMT »
No, no I do not like that feedback.  >:D

Offline Sazerac

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 10:42:01 AM BST GMT »
Thanks for the feedback. I definately agree about the arms. I'm probably going to make a few changes on the weekend - new hands, bulkier arms, some armbands to break up the arms and something to hide the ears are what I have in mind atm.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 04:45:34 AM BST GMT »
Palocles' McBrick was a close 4th in this contest based on the voting (we had to have a tie breaker between this and Zorro's figure in our voting).  If he had had the time to add on a football helmet or hair and some hair on the feet as I believe was planned ... he would have pushed up into the top 3.  
That is very gratifying to hear, thanks.  I certainly hope to finish him off soon, probably when i start working on the Viking next month and would be happy for him to go into the Targeted program.

He'll have hair but the helmet was to be more of a tin pot than a 'proper' helmet and i'm not sure a halfling needs sculpted hairy feet, it's something the painter can choose for themselves.  I'll do it if it's a deal breaker though.

Will email sometime, too.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:11 PM BST GMT »
thanks for the feedback. the arm was a risk love it or hate it idea. working an the pictures the hardest part in sculpting really getting decent shots of what you made.

again thanks for the helpful feedback