Author Topic: Fantasy  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Fantasy
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:30:41 PM BST GMT »
This first post got chewed up in the great hack attack of twenny-leven, and I'm not exactly sure what I said in it.  Other than: here are some designs for generic fantasy minis that I'd like to sculpt some day, initially in 10mm.  Firstly: dragons, winged beasts, and shadow-monsters.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:17:07 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:43:06 PM BST GMT »
1. A couple of treemen, but more on those later.  The main focus here is on trolls.  Stony, cave-dwelling types as well as a quicker, meaner, hammer-swinging variety.

2.  High elves.  The stuff I'd like especially like comments and pointers on.  Trying to create a look somewhere between LotR and WFB.  Shuttling back and forth between some half-baked notions of greek/roman/byzantine styles, trying to keep a touch of dark age western europe and adding another touch of samurai armour.  Not to any great satisfaction, though.

3. Some more work on trolls and high elves, with some dark elf ideas crammed in like sardines.  Like the high elves, but a bit spikier and sinister.  Not the same level of spiky and sinister as 'slave-slaughtering blood-orgy' spiky and sinister, though.  Passable as slightly gruffer high elves or well-armoured wood elves, hopefully.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:16:52 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:48:24 PM BST GMT »
1 & 2.  Back to treemen.  Different sizes and shapes.  I did make a start on one.  I think I still have it...  :oops:

3. Wild treemen.  Leaning more towards the bony-limbed wild-bearded type than the orky-jawed Wizard-of-Oz type.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:17:51 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:29:44 PM BST GMT »
Nice stuff there Warren!

I really like the 'wild' treemen, especially the manes. I think leaves are underused on Ent mini's, it's probably down to pulling off convincing texture, but I think at 10mm it'd be do-able! (if steal the idea feel free to moan about it...)

I like the winged beast that looks least like a pterosaur, wit the thicker neck. It's a bit more unique.

Not sold on the trolls, not sure what it is, bit too orcish?

On the elves, I like the scale mail, not too sure on the lapping plate as it feels a bit done to death. I like the idea of the robes over scale and also the 2 peice helmet in the last set of elf pics. I think on that sheet there's a dude with a spear, scale and robes bunched about his shoulders, for me that would be the best jumping off point to develop a style! (elf02, bottom right for the helmet, bottom left for the robes!)

Just.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:47:29 PM BST GMT »
All good, nothing too derivative either. ;)
Winged beasts and trolls are the strongest designs. I'm not entirely sold on the treemen but then again I never saw a treeman that really made sense to me anyway! As designs for a "nature" creature/greenman"ogre" though they're rather spiffy!

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:09:36 PM BST GMT »
i woudl say the shadow beast is preatty close to the balrog so i would suggest on the shadow beast change the horns maybe add some more too it.  also you could give him some armor to distinguish him

i like the wing beasts  :) (except for the btm ones)

the troll heads mixed with darkelves and such; bring the chin out and add a dip under the nose.  i think your going for a sllek look to the front face plate but to me its too "smooth"

i like the 3rd post 1st pic treeman in the top left corner

theres allot of concepting there i know i alwasy need more space bettween my stuff so good job on being more economical. save the trees! lol
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:18:11 PM BST GMT by dracon magis »

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:18:08 PM BST GMT »
Ta! :)

Elf plate: The 'roman lorica' style was already dumped.  I'd like to include some plate somewhere but the cuirasses I've tried ain't it.  Or there's LotR movie style interwoven armour, but I think that'd be sailing a tad close.
They need a rethink from almost the ground up, maybe.  And I'll probably end up with scale and robes, anyway.
The ones you pointed out, Just, are part of the dark elf sketches.  Based on the HE sketches, but somehow ended up looking better. :)

For the trolls and treemen I was thinking of the descriptions in LotR.  The Morannon trolls were quick and vicious, and there a bit in the appendix that humans debated whether they were trolls or giant orcs.  Ents seemed to be more man than tree.  E.g. with leafy hair and twiggy beards rather than actual leaves and twigs IMO.  Huorns were more treelike, but it niggled me when I saw movie Treebeard with a big broken branch jutting from his forehead. :)

Shadow demon: that's the point. ;)

Winged beasts: I'm more fond of the thicked-necked one too, though I kind of like the expressions on the lower pterosaur-style heads...

the troll heads mixed with darkelves and such; bring the chin out and add a dip under the nose.  i think your going for a sllek look to the front face plate but to me its too "smooth"

D'you mean the troll heads or the elf helmets? :?

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:19:44 PM BST GMT »
the troll heads

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:01:35 PM BST GMT »
nice job on the drawings, expessly like the fat tree guy and the winged beasts from the frst post

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:43 PM BST GMT »
Ents seemed to be more man than tree.  E.g. with leafy hair and twiggy beards rather than actual leaves and twigs IMO.

In that case  8-) it's hard to beak away from preconceptions!

Offline Bergil

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:37 PM BST GMT »
Nothing out of the ordinary when I say they look good  :mrgreen:

I rather liked some of the winged beasts, especially the one that looks a bit like a chicken. As for the trolls... The buckler just seems wrong.

Offline Venger

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 06:03:50 PM BST GMT »
Nice bit o' pencil work :)
Have translated any to putty yet?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 09:03:14 PM BST GMT »
Nice bit o' pencil work :)

Ta. :)

Have translated any to putty yet?

Only the treeman I already linked. :(  But that there Pendraken competition is putting me in the mood for 10mm again.

Offline Carcharoth

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 08:55:59 AM BST GMT »
Lovely sketches as usual. The tree men somehow feel more traditional than the film versions. I do like the film versions, but these are a fun change, and do seem more accurate to the book.
Is it compulsory for elves to have pointy helms?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 09:21:10 AM BST GMT »
:)

They do if they're a shameless proxy. ;)  I had thought of making wood elves more 'rustic' (i.e. realistic) though.  Dark age stylee.  Course, that means something like spangenhelms, which aren't much less pointy.