Author Topic: A Random Project  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Borak

A Random Project
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:07 PM BST GMT »
Having spent the best part of Games Day talking to the creative chaps at the Warhammer Forge stand and showing them some of my stuff they suggested i do a piece to submit as a job application. I'm not 100% sure i want the job but the challenge has piqued my interest. I will be producing both a sculpt and a digital painting of a character as though i was designing him for the upcoming Tamurkhan book.

The concept i've settled on is a chaos sorcerer of nurgle on a palanquin.

Here's the beginings of the Concept Art/Digital Painting

I've also made a tentative start on the sculpt and have nearly finished 2 of the nurglings that will bear him aloft

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: A Random Project
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:26:00 PM BST GMT »
Having spent the best part of Games Day talking to the creative chaps at the Warhammer Forge stand and showing them some of my stuff they suggested i do a piece to submit as a job application.

Oooh...

The concept looks good so far.  I'm looking forward to see the progress of the sculpt.  Although is that screwed-on head-railing going to be easy to translate?

Offline Borak

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:44:26 PM BST GMT »
I don't know, probably, i was going to do a test sculpt of the head tomorrow or the day after. if it does prove too problematic i have a few altenative ideas. I drew the crest as a separate layer just in case

Offline Palocles

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 03:03:07 AM BST GMT »
Both the crest and the collar will be much thicker than the art when you sculpt them.  I think one of the Lamias has a collar like this.

It's a good start, would be nice to see more.

Offline hivetrygon

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:24:25 PM BST GMT »
Both the crest and the collar will be much thicker than the art when you sculpt them.  I think one of the Lamias has a collar like this.

It's a good start, would be nice to see more.

Depends if he goes metal or resin. Also there are ways to get that thin in metal but requires a lot of per planning. Tom Meier can cast some very, very, very fine metal parts.  ;) To me this would be a great example of a limited resin figure as in you can only get resin and another one for the metal variant.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:00:07 AM BST GMT »
I was thinking more of the sculpting that the casting.

But i suppose you could use a bit of metal with the right cross section and bend that around the head for the crest.  The collar could be do with thin brass rods.

Offline Borak

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:01 AM BST GMT »
The big collar is a nod to the art work from the 3rd-4th edition battlemagic/arcane magic boxed sets. they will obviously loose some of thier fine-ness when translating the design from drawing to sculpt. I'm drawing it in corel painter on a really big screen, whilst drawing him i'm zoomed in so he's near as hell life sized (though i am sat at the opposite end of the room) the sculpt is darmatically smaller. it's the nature of the beast isn't it. i think i'll be able to do a good enough job to capture and convey the feel i wanted and make it obvious that the sculpt is based off the artwork.

I have the basic test head done, not quite as fine as i'd like but more than addaquate to practice the crest on. I'll probably make the basic arc of the crest out of a little bit of brown stuff. once it's cured i'll have at it with needle file, scalpel and wet & dry paper to really smooth it and refine the curve/shape. i have some very very fine drill bits and wire that i'll use to make the spokes attatching the crest to the helmet. if that doesn't turn out as envisaged i have other ideas for ways to try it and some alternaticve crest concepts

I've done similar collars before so i know i wont have too much difficulty with it so long as i'm patient. I'll see how the head looks with the crest but i'm pretty sure this will just be a practice run and i'll be making another version for the final piece. heads don't take too long (being tiny and all) so i might produce an alternate bare one (deformed nurgle faces are even quicker than most, accurate symmetry being less important)

I'll try and get some pics up today of the nurglings and head test