Author Topic: Mondria's try update done  (Read 1553 times)

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
Mondria's try update done
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:08:47 PM BST GMT »
my try for this competition
I made more then 1 but as this one is closest to be finished in time I pick this one as my entry.
a Goblin quarterback, by now the arms are already done and I replaced the head, the newer pictures turn oit awfull so I will make new ones this weekend.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:53:26 PM BST GMT by mondria »

Offline Palocles

Re: Mondria's try
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:17:08 AM BST GMT »
Not too bad for a beginning work but there are a few things that stand out as needing improvement.

Well, it's too late for this guy but for your next work:

If you bend the knees too far then bend back below them you can create a curve in the calf which will help shaping the legs.

I'm not sure what you did as the first few layers of bulking but if you make the very first layer just enough to cover the armiture, then bulk out in fairly thin layers (0.5mm - 1.0mm each) on the limbs ( a bit more in the torso) then you will have really good control of the shape that forms.  I say that because your gobbos torso looks a bit like a box whereas rib cages are more ovoid.

Study a bit of human anatomy (paying close attention to proportions).  It works for 90% of models.

When doing a dynamic/action pose, like a throw would be, don't be afraid to twist the spine a bit and get the shoulders into a different angle to the hips.  This guys hips and shoulders seem to run parallel but the right could be moved behind the plane and up.  The way you started that armiture, with a bit of green on the pelvis and another bit for the shoulders is a good way to go because it makes it easy to get the movement and twisting in the body.

Keep it up.  I hope you make the dead line.  (I hope i make it too...)

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:16:19 PM BST GMT »
thanks for the tips indeed to late for this one but will take it in acount with the others,
as I do normally dont really bulk out as with 1/72 and smaller figures it will only get in your way, 28mm is still new to me and I did not started bulking out with the legs I did later on and the belly and ribs got extra layers later on also on the arms.

as I made a non human I also did not want to give it to much human proportions, longer arms shorter legs more ape like then human in my case.
there is a small twist in the spine but only a small one indeed. but for a reason that will be more clear ones I post the complete work, the sculpt is pretty much finished by now but I suck at making decent pictures with just a camera on my foon

dont understand what you ment with the knees

thanks and greetz

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:52:58 PM BST GMT »
all finished for now anyway there are a few things I like to change but its to late for that now.

meet my goblin thrower with mechanical arm or more a exoskelet arm to boost the throwing arm, there is a rope running to the left arm to launch the ball. On earlier tries his ear got ripped off, I did this to give him more of a veteran feel to it also left his boot partly open at the nose for a worn look this also fits in with why he is not waring that much armor, all for the pore goblin look.
if I had more time I would have ad more mechanical stuff to the back now its just a spring loaded arm.
The putty used is Procreate but half way true I run out of the normal Procreate so I had to finish it with a old batch of dark Procreate hens the 2 colors used.
for more and bigger pictures 
http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/king_poky/contest/
pictures are taking with my camera on my foon and not the best but it just have to do for now.