Author Topic: Silent Invader's Thrower (wip)  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Silent Invader

Silent Invader's Thrower (wip)
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:35:40 PM BST GMT »
My work-in-progress Thrower for a 'cheerleader' fantasy football team that I'm in the throes of putting together.

BTW they are towelling sweatbands at the wrists, not the cuffs of gloves.

It's evident that I struggle with faces.   :(

Offline Palocles

Re: Silent Invader's Thrower (wip)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:17:19 AM BST GMT »
Faces are hard to do.  It just takes practice.  Try getting a half dozen blobs of green and wire loops and stick them all into a ... something that will hold them in a line and just make their faces, as practice.

Model doesn't look too bad though.  The pose is pretty conservative, especially for a thrower, but you don't want to run before you walk.

You might be able to judge the proportions better on the armiture if you bend the hips out 90degrees from the spine then bend them down 90 degrees again to make the thighs, instead of that angle you have there.  Bending the knees back a bit too far then bending the calfs forwards is a good way to get the curve of the calf muscles and locate the knee in the legs too.  Arms can be added after you initially bulk the body and legs.

Looking at some bit in those finished pics: top left view; her chest looks about the same thickness as her upperarms, there should be a bit more bulk across the shoulders.  Curving the spine of the armiture can help to get that shape in there.
Middle bottom; her right thigh seems to bulge out a bit at the hips.  Depending on what sort of body she's supposed to have (ie. girlish, curvy woman, etc) she should posibly have broader hips and the silhouette should be a smooth curve up her thighs, around her hips and back in to her waist.  A straighter line would suggest a skinnier or athletic build which is not necessarily popular in fantasy females.

Her feet seem to be a bit flat too.  Behind the toes feet angle upwards towards the ankle.  Her toes seem too long or the angle too low.

Google images can really help for perving research too:
http://www.flickr.com//photos/john-pozadzides/sets/72157622656665748/show/
Check out the second shot for the curves and 6th shot for a thrower.  And whatever else you might be able to get from the rest of them...

Offline Silent Invader

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:10:19 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for the feedback, which is much appreciated.  :)

I've obviously led a sheltered life as I didn't know that there really is a lingerie football league!  Those images were most inspirational......  8-)

I take all your comments on board.  I'd already spotted the flatness of the foot but had missed many of the other points and will endeavour to learn from them. I particularly appreciate the tips for sculpting faces and also for manipulating the armature to get a better basic body shape.

Cheers  :D

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:52:58 AM BST GMT »
Well, it's pretty rough granted but you've obviously got a good understanding of proportion, I understand what Justin's saying (for your futer sculpts) but really all you'd need to make a massive improvement to this sculpt is to add some mass to the upper back also the head is huge, bear that in mind for next time. I assume you've not been sculpting for long (?) so as always, my best advice is lots of practice.  :mrgreen:

P.S. what medium are you using? looks like GS mixed with milliput/magicsculpt.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:10:58 AM BST GMT »
*pppst Andrew* My name's not Justin... (or did i miss a memo?)

I didn't want to critique the face/head as well as i didn't want to come across like i was bagging your work, SI.  But yeah, the feedback is for your future work and remember, every sculpt is a good sculpt if you learn something from it.

And speaking of Lingerie Football, i'm surprised it doesn't get more TV time.  250 pics is too many to see them all but there are a few that i did see where a girl was in a pose which would translate very nicely to a FF mini.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:11 PM BST GMT »
 :oops:

Offline zorro

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:42 PM BST GMT »
Female humans are quite hard to do, or so I have been told. I think you did a better job of than I would be capable of....all in all very  8-)

Offline Silent Invader

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:49:09 PM BST GMT »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:53:23 PM BST GMT by Silent Invader »

Offline Palocles

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 02:54:28 AM BST GMT »
Don't worry Andrew (Andy?) it's not like i formally introduced myself.

Invasion, The 'missing bulk' we've been talking about isn't the "heroic scale" muscles and boobs.  It just looks like you're underestimating how much bulk a normal person should have and in the case of the Marines (Who look pretty good) you might be jumping to the surface detail too soon.

If you have a go at sculpting some nudes, a la life drawing class, then you should be able to see where you are missing the mass.  The important thing is to pay very close attention to the model you are using as reference.  You can also use anatomical diagrams as they will show correct proportions and knowing how big organs are might help too.

If you pose you nudes in action poses then you can dress them afterwards and use them for 'real' work.

Have a look in my Fusballers thread and you'll see that i've bulked them up to skin layer before dressing and detailing them.  I do it on pretty much all my greens.

Offline Silent Invader

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:54:18 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for the extra advice and sorry it's taken me so long too reply..... have hadn't any hobby time in recent days  :(

I didn't word my previous answer very well as I do see and appreciate your earlier point about bulking out.  Thanks very much for taking the time to guide me.  :)