Author Topic: My tools  (Read 12519 times)

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
Re: My tools
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 06:37:41 PM BST GMT »
I think I may have developed something of a hoarding habit...

Satisfying, isn't it?

That's a funky-lookin' thing in your second pic.  Does it just have a 'needle' tip or is it shaped?  Do you use it for much?

Also, what kind of scribe tool?  I have one myself, but a bladed thing for polystyrene kits.

The weird angled dentist tool is just a strangley bent needle tip. The other end is similar but angled differently. I've actually never used it to this day! I picked it up from The Tool Box in Sheffield Meadowhall. They have a basket full of random dental tools for about £1 each. Most of them are from the same 12 piece set I already own but every now and then you can find something weird and wonderful (and probably useless...).

The scribe tool is just a large angled needle tip tool. I think we used to refer to it as a scribe tool. I got it from my previous job where we used them to score lines in metal before segmenting using a cutting wheel. Again, it's in a box and I've not yet used it!

Offline aly.r

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 11:38:00 PM BST GMT »
Might as well show everyone what i have procured then hardly used...

plus a few things that weren't at hand...

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 09:32:23 AM BST GMT »

My selfmade needle tool, my all time favourite smoothing brush ( W&N short sable ), my bigger needle for bigger holes and my two sculpting tools which are basically identical except for the size and the wooden handle.
That's basically it, sometimes for techy stuff I use a pencil ( those were you push the end to make the tip come out ) to make round circles.

Had tons more of tools but I gave them all away as I didn't use them at all.

I have a pointy clayshaper somewhere too, almost never use that thing though.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Burano

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:24 PM BST GMT »

My favorite tools.

I have more, but these are the ones that use 99% of the time.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 02:50:22 PM BST GMT »
Quick tip: you can polish the ends of steel wax carving tools to a mirror finish using fine emery paper followed by either fine-grade wire wool or a nail buffer - I use a 4-sided nail buffer.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:08 PM BST GMT »
These are mine, the first picture shows my main three  tools which I use all the time; a wax carving tool, a large-ish needle mounted in a biro case and a size 2 flat silicone chisel.

Second picture includes tools I use often but not all the time. The Excel handle normally has a blunted blade in it but I've lost it somewhere; the blade is very useful for making straight edges. The paper embossing tools I am particularly fond of, they're good for soft organic shapes such as pressing into the face to define the cheek bones or pressing the sides of the nose.

And the last one is about two thirds of my whole tool collection, minus the ones I don't really use: