Author Topic: Palocles Fantasy Fusballers  (Read 5204 times)

Offline zorro

Re: Palocles Fantasy Fusballers
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:20:02 PM BST GMT »
Shaping up nicely  8-) Any chance you can point me in a dircetion where I can see more of your previous work?
(I have actually already used clayshapers, though only on the part that I did in brownstuff)

Offline Palocles

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 07:24:47 PM BST GMT »
I've done several models for Spinespur.  Aniel, Hack, Greygun, molotov and chainsaw thugs, 'generic' thugs and Fists of GOD.

I have done a few 54mm scales as Golden Demon entries too.  One of my entries, with two original sculpts has a pretty good score on Cool Mini.  I'd find a link if i had more time, but you can search for it, i have the same username there.

Most of the rest haven't been commisions or made it all the way to completetion.

I can put pics of them up after work if you like?

Offline zorro

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 09:59:53 PM BST GMT »
I already had a look at your CMON gallery,the one based on a PP concept is very impressive. I just generally like to look at what people have done over the years to see how they developed,hoping that it is mostly up to practice and not just talent.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 12:45:59 AM BST GMT »
The Vinter (PP guy) was my first 30mm sculpt and it took months  (and months).  Didn't know i had him on CMON actually.  There is stuff i should add though.  The Inquisitors fighting in front of the stained glass window is the has my first two really successful 54mm minis.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, or something, i might have had a bit more natural ability that some other beginners but i think practice is more important.  What i think is the biggest factor and it applies to painting too, is accuracy to observed detail.

For painting that just means being tidy and not going 'outside the lines'.  But for sculpting it means paying very close attention to the porportions of the body and the shape of all the muscle mass and other mass on a body and not just saying "that'll do" too often.

I've spent a lot of time looking at how cloth folds (and pulls and stretchs) when you bend different joints in different directions and what different muscles look like when they flex.  And a fair bit of time standing (or trying to stand) in odd positions so i can see if a pose for a mini is, if not natural, then actually posible and likely to be achieved for the action being performed.  My generic grunts are a good example of this as they are i really wierd poses.

I've also got a bunch of unfinished sculpts too.  Probably all of them have been done to the stage when they would recieve or have just got their first layer of detail (so either skin layer or cloths layer) so i'm probably best up to that point.  It sucks to not finish something but they all help you get better and sometimes just being able to look back on older minis can help as you can see the improvement.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 11:38:51 AM BST GMT »
Presenting, in a state of 95% finishedness, Bertie "Bacon Butties" McBrick.

He's not really supposed to be a Kojac but i ran out of time to do hair and a helmet.  The shoulder pads aren't quite what i'd like but will have to do.  I'll do some more work afterwards but this is it for the Comp.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 03:38:53 PM BST GMT »
 8-)