Author Topic: Palocles Fantasy Fusballers  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Palocles

Palocles Fantasy Fusballers
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:41:49 AM BST GMT »
It's about time i started up a thread i think, especially with the extended deadline.  Not sure if i'll be able to make the deadline yet but i have done a bit more on my doods recently.

So i got them all to this point before my enthusiasm dried up but then i got some back but just before i was going to start work on them i lost my green.  Sigh.  So i did some painting instead and got these two (below) done, as well as a colour scheme idea on another one and started two more.  Not on the same day though, about a month.

In the last couple of days i have done more pushing of green and got the faces done on the ballas.  That's one of the most intimidating parts of a sculpt, so hopefully i'll be able to proceed with more pace now.  I think my green might be too old and tough too.

Hopefully have an update pic tomorrow.  That'd be tomorrow night for the UKers.

Offline Palocles

Re: Palocles Fantasy Fusballers
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:49:56 AM BST GMT »

Ok, there are some faces and a bit more chainsaw.  Not a close up so they don't looks so good, sorry.

The halfling is going to be my entry, he's going to get big ears and a helmet next.  Was thinking of giving him a pot for a helmet but thats pretty cliche for halflings so could use suggestions.

Helmut the chainsaw dude is getting a helmet too so i'm not giving him ears.  I'll twist the saw a bit so it will go into the mold flat and maybe bend it towards the back so it's perpendicular to his facing, so the face doesn't get distorted during molding (assuming the saw blade will be the main plane of molding).  Or i could just turn his head...

Igor will have shaggy marauder hair and beard as he's supposed to regenerate or something so doesn't really need extra protection.  I wanted to make his right eye a bit more bulging but considering the trouble i had with the eyes, i'm happy with what i've done.

Offline zorro

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:49:52 PM BST GMT »
Especially like the middle one,all look promising!

Offline Palocles

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:16:57 AM BST GMT »
Thanks, he's got big ol' prince chucky lugs now.  No suggestion for his helmet though?

Anyway, in NZ the queen had a birthday, (was it same day in UK?) and we were away visiting fambily so nothing much else is done.  Hopefully afterwork tomoro will be productive.

Offline Sazerac

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:15:17 AM BST GMT »
Queens birthday is in a weeks time in Australia, weird.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:20:51 PM BST GMT »
Except for WA who have their aniversary day, or something, on the sixth and nothing on the 13th.

It's almost as if the queen wasn't even born on the 6th of june!

Offline zorro

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:41:59 PM BST GMT »
Re helmet:
I would go with something like this,simple but effective.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:58:36 AM BST GMT »
Yeah, i'll have no trouble doing a normal FF style helmet but the original idea was to put a pot on his head and the problem with that is it's cliched.  So the question isn't so much what sort of helmet to give him but what would be like a pot (but not) and not a cliche? 

Is it even posible to do something like that without it being a cliche?

Should i just 'play it straight' and give him the FF helmet?

Might be able to do an update shot today too. He's got feet now but i put him in the oven and forgot to do his toenails before the greenwent off so might have to cut him up a bit.

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:10:35 AM BST GMT »
helmet ideas

hollowed stump

wheel of cheese

elaborate assortment of spatulas

a wok (asian cooking pot)

a stock pot with holes cut in it (cliche but a little different)

Offline Sazerac

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 04:49:27 AM BST GMT »
I reckon a colander could work

Offline Palocles

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 06:25:12 AM BST GMT »
Great suggestions guys.  I dread trying to sculpt an "elaborate assortment of spatulas".

Anyway, here's an update where you can see McBricks big ears and feets.  I don't really want to alter his ears so some of the 'helmet' ideas wont work.

And Helmut with shoes.  Nothing else new on him i think.

And Igor with the under part of his loin cloth and meatier thighs.

And you can get a better view of their faces now the shots are bigger.  Igors chest looks a bit wierd i think but i couldn't get the abs right the way i'd done the layers.  I could cut the front off his chest and redo it but i'm going to give him a bit of armour on the front to paint his number on so might not need to.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:10 PM BST GMT »
Halfling looks good.

Offline zorro

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 08:54:32 PM BST GMT »
May I ask how long have you been sculpting, these are sooo smooth I can not imagine how you learn to controll the putty so well.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 02:58:49 AM BST GMT »
I started when Inquisitor first came out.  I found out it was 54mm scale and though, "I can do that".  I did a scaly and a wych, both of which would be about 8 feet tall in scale.

I've done a dozen or more commissions and random sculpts since then.

These greens are smooth because clay shapers are your friend!  If you haven't got one you shoul dget one, they will change your sculpting life.  They are great for smoothing, if it wasn't apparent that's what i'm getting at. hehe.

Posible update today too...

Offline Palocles

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 01:10:55 AM BST GMT »
OK, so it wasn't "today" for an update but it is today.

Not much to show really, just a couple pairs of pants, or trousers if you call underwear pants.

I've actually just put McBrick's codpiece on and bulked his arms up a bit more as, once i'd done his forearms, his upper arms looked too thin.  He got a bit more across the shoulders too, which i hadn't been worried about because of the armour.  He just needs his breastplate (And quilted coat), gloves or fists, elbow pads and helmet and shoulder pads then he's done.

I was thinking of putting those thigh pad things on Helmut but didn't.  I could still do it though, over his pants and just run the crease over them.  Igor has boots now too but no pic yet.

edit:
OK, the above was from the morning and now it's the evening after a day of fairly productive work. So... TWO updates in one post!  This is current work.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:24:58 AM BST GMT by Palocles »