Author Topic: Work in progress fantasy football player  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Bergil

Work in progress fantasy football player
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:45 AM BST GMT »
He hasn't got a name, insofar as a miniature ever actually needs one but I thought orc ball player might suffice.  :D

He is intended for the Impact sculpting competition, however I'd like some advice from those who care to give it...

It's the tab you see, I made this model with the intent that it would go into a mold for casting (whether or not it should is another matter!) And I was wondering which way the tab should be pointing. It currently runs Parallel with the foot but perhaps it should run left to right of the fig? I was also wondering If I would need to put some sort of loin cloth in anyway as the legs being as they are probably would make mold making an issue?

Anyway, if you care to share your expertise I'd appreciate it.

The putty is a blend of GS and BS, usually covered in my own saliva... and it is built around a home made lead dollie.

Here's a smorgasbord of pics to clog up your internets  ;)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: Work in progress fantasy football player
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:55:30 PM BST GMT »
Moved it down here, hope you don't mind. ;)

Great pose, proportions, design, etc.  And the expressions, especially the orc's. :D

Since you have about two weeks, I'd suggest going round the brown stuff armour edges and sharpening them up, just a bit.  (And maybe the bridge of the guy's nose)

Offline Palocles

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:43:20 AM BST GMT »
I'm not sure if it's my cache or your photobucket bandwidth limit but i can't see any pics.

I would rather like to see them.

edit:  It's my cache.

Looks good.  I agree the armour could use sharpening up.

The tab should be crosswise to the foot.  If he's to be cast he'll go face first into the mold sammich and the tab should lie flat in the mold.

The shoulder pads are quite small for most styles of fantasy football.  He's got a nice coherent look to him, tho.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:27:40 AM BST GMT by Palocles »

Offline Bergil

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:36:50 PM BST GMT »
I had no idea I had to look in here to find the threads  :oops:

Vermis;

I'll be tarting up the armour ridges, back of the armour and the top of the boots/ending of the trousers. (I can't decide what they are  :P) and of course the nose. Goes without saying.

Palocles;

I suppose I could enlarge the shoulder pads, maybe I will. And thanks for the advice  :)

Offline Bergil

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:43:51 PM BST GMT »
I brought this guy into work today to make use of the sunlight and the work camera to take photos, that and I won't have time tonight to do finishing touches or take photographs.

In that process the warehouseman has thrown this fig in the bin, took me awhile to find out where the fig had gone only to fish him out and his two arms from the bin. Some plates of the ridge armour had come off the arms! I can fix that but they're blu tacked on at the moment.

Then whilst rinsing the detritus of the warehouse bin off of him I nearly lost his arm down the sink hole! I tell you I've nearly had a heart attack at 25.

Anyway, alot of the armour ridges and much of the model itself received a wet sanding and kitchen towel polishing. Redid the face which was partly inspired by warpys characterful looking halflings and well, that's about it.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:43:07 PM BST GMT »
the line of the armor looks great the helmets are the best parts, the bud need work cant really tell what just looks of maybe the cloding folds

Offline Bergil

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:02 PM BST GMT »
the line of the armor looks great the helmets are the best parts, the bud need work cant really tell what just looks of maybe the cloding folds

Thank you.

And i agree about some of the folding of the clothes, perhaps it's that the upper arms need bulking out a bit? Anyway, too late to worry about it now.

Before I forget, here is a copy of the armature I used.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:13 PM BST GMT »
Gotta say, that figure could easily have been a one part casting. This would likely have made your life easier during the sculpting and could have led to a more cohesive looking final result.

In future I'd suggest worrying less about the mould making process. A good mould maker can deal with a lot of things and if anything does need cut they will tell you.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 12:39:59 AM BST GMT »
Indeed Mr Rae, here's a quote from a well know sculptor (who will remain anon);
"I just sculpt them however they look good. It's the caster's problem when they get the green". Maybe not exactly sound advice but it's best if you bear casting in mind but don't worry yourself too much.  ;)

Offline Relic

• Paint Splats
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:55:29 AM BST GMT »
has a nice arrogant look about him :D

Offline Bergil

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 01:50:09 PM BST GMT »
Andrew Ray:

Yes he could have done, but I figured if impact did end up getting a hold of this one they send you ten back? If that is the case I'd have a half decent body to work on, whether I do different sets of leg and arms that go on the torso or some such.

Having made (although not yet posted) some figs with the arms attached I can confirm that it makes the model look far more cohesive. Anyway I tried something different and I learned from it.