Author Topic: Lahatiel's entry  (Read 2705 times)

Offline lahatiel

Lahatiel's entry
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:57:46 AM BST GMT »
Late to the game, I know, as I mentioned in the Discussion thread.  But I'm taking advantage of the time extension and actually switched up what it is I'm sculpting, too.  Not much to see here yet, obviously, but the rules said: "picture of armature"; so here it is:

The figure's further along since the pic was taken and, in a serendipitous coincidence, we just found out that the wife will now be out of town from June 9th until June 14th -- perfect for plenty of uninterrupted sculpt time in the days leading right up to the deadline.

Offline Andrew May

Re: Lahatiel's entry
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:30:59 AM BST GMT »
Looks ambitious!
Good luck and have fun.  8-)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 01:14:19 AM BST GMT »
I'm intrigued by the loop, whether it'll feature or get cut out.  But I'll wait to see.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:45:45 PM BST GMT »
I've just had a better look..... :lol:
I always have a loop for the head so I interpreted it as doing a handstand!

Offline lahatiel

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:51:18 AM BST GMT »
Heh, it never occurred to me that the loop would have people wondering... unfortunately, I'll have to just spill it, lest it end up being anticlimactic: it's only going to be a towel/loincloth kind of thing. Not technically necessary to loop a wire for that, of course, but I wanted to keep the putty to a minimum where I joined the spine to the hips but still be sure I had a solid connection, so looping it -- it's all one piece with the spine wire -- and using an extra bit of putty between the right side of the loop and the right thigh wire served that purpose well.

Offline lahatiel

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:43:33 PM BST GMT »
Sadly, I'm not going to finish my figure -- which is a skeleton catcher in the style of the "Humerus Carpal" star player -- in time for the contest.  :(

I didn't get to put in as much time over the weekend on him as I'd intended and as I was racing to complete him last night (by my time zone, anyway), I figured out it just wasn't going to happen; being in California on the US West Coast (GMT -7), I'm at work now and still will be when midnight GMT rolls around today, so last night (here) was my last shot at finishing. After working halfway through the night, though, I realized I was already starting to take shortcuts with some details -- and since I do intend on trying to get Impact to produce him as a Targeted mini, even if it's as a normal Targeted submission outside of the contest, I decided I just didn't want to do that... especially as I also realized that I still might not have had him done on time, even if did take the shortcuts.

Therefore, as annoyed with myself as I am, count me out for the contest.  I'll still post some pics in the next day or two the figure's current state, as I wouldn't mind some feedback, as well as when he's finally done; those will just take a little while, though, as my schedule for the rest of the week will force me to put him on pause for a little bit.  :?

Offline Palocles

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:24 PM BST GMT »
Shame you ran out of time.

I think you should have posted pics of him in his current state anyway.  You're not the only person to run out of time and i don't think the Comp actually requires 'finished' figures.  Does it?

Offline lahatiel

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:38:13 PM BST GMT »
I will get to the pics, but I just wasn't worried about it at the time.  It had actually crossed my mind to do so, but I skipped doing so for a couple of reasons. First, while I sure there are other unfinished entries, I knew there were enough good-looking finished entries that my 70%-done figure wasn't going to win any contest prizes. My main concern is Impact's Targeted program, and they're not going to decide on that based on WIP shots.

Finally given the combination of those two factors plus it having got to be 3am by the time I gave up, when I needed to wake up for work 3.5 hours later at 6:30am, I decided that just collapsing in bed and passing out immediately was more important to me than staying up even later to get out my camera, extra lights, taking time to crop and post, etc.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:56:52 AM BST GMT »
Fair enough.  I'm going to do more work on mine before i see if Impact wants him (and his buddies).