Author Topic: zorro's WIP (some fat monsterlikething) update  (Read 5413 times)

Offline zorro

zorro's WIP (some fat monsterlikething) update
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:06:10 PM BST GMT »

Allright,there is actually a wire armature under there,made in the fashion Gael Gummon makes his (body of putty on wire->drill holes for limbs inser new wire etc...I am not certain wether that is the best method,but this is unlikley to get cast so I guesss no worries there :) )
Anyhow my first go at sculpting and if I am to finish it by the deadline,I really need the extra time,as the figure is far from finished,and well it all just looks a bit crap for now
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:33:11 PM BST GMT by zorro »

Offline Andrew May

Re: zorro's WIP (some fat monsterlikething)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:01:14 PM BST GMT »
You bugger! I feared you'd be good...
That construction technique should be fine for casting I would imagine, so olnd as the wire is a good distance into the body and the putty on the limbs is blended well at the joins. The worst I can imagine is the limbs coming off when the master is removed from the mould, that's pretty common anyway, probably 50% of the figures I've had cast have come apart after moulding. It doesn't matter as long as you get a good impression in the mould.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:35 PM BST GMT »
Not too shabby.  You've been holding out. :)

One wee tip, at first glance: I think the mouth could be hollowed out a little.  Looks a bit like a bas-relief among all the more 3D features.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 03:05:17 AM BST GMT »
I think you should try to do the sculpting so that it has every chance of being successfully cast.  That looks to be a nicely detailed, quality sculpt so far and there's always the option of offering the sculpt to a manufacturer like Impact.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:56:59 AM BST GMT »
Re the mouth, you could try building the lips up a tad to give it a little more depth? For the tongue (is it is to be protuding rather than 'hanging' out) either add a 'pin' of wire (possibly with the exposed part flattened in a vice/between the flat part of a pair of pliers) to add stability or first make a 'former' (a bit if putty to act as a foundation BS would be good) a bit smaller than the finished tongue, let it cure and then sculpt on top.
I hope that made sense...  :?

Offline zorro

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:12 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for the kind words Palocles!
Andrew: could I avoid drilling and such if the tongue were to hang out on the side and not portruding,but rather sticking to the side of the mouth? Anyhow I have more time now that the deadline has been extended,so it might go either way.

Offline zorro

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:59:58 PM BST GMT »
http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/GW/id/251317
THis is what I had In my (see bottom pic from link above)though I would add more flesh to the tongue.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 06:44:21 PM BST GMT »
No need to drill then, add the putty in a roughly right shape, blend in the very edges while it's fresh, leave half an hour or more then shape, another half hour later sharpen up/refine, continue until the putty's too cured to "relax" (when putty's 'memory' returns it partially back to it's original shape, worst with GS, better but not absent with BS).

Edit: remember that for doing sharp/hard edges ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:48:39 PM BST GMT by Andrew May »

Offline zorro

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:28:52 PM BST GMT »
add the putty in a roughly right shape, blend in the very edges while it's fresh, leave half an hour or more then shape, another half hour later sharpen up/refine, continue until the putty's too cured to "relax"
So that is what sculptors mean when they say tho most important thing to know is when to work the putty,never understood that,anyhow thanks for the detailed explenation I will keep it in mnd!v :)

Offline zorro

Re: zorro's WIP (some fat monsterlikething) update
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:47:39 PM BST GMT »

Bit of an update. I took the advice from Vermis and Andrew about the lips and the mouth, though it does not exactly reflect what I was going for, the toungue did not work out at all, and I ended up redoing the mouth a couple of times, as I do not have much spare time, I have no idea if I will be able to finih it in time :(

Offline Palocles

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 03:04:07 AM BST GMT »
Looking good.

You could give him a Mean Machine (Angel) style stump and a shoulder pad and call him done if you have to.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 07:05:06 PM BST GMT »
You can make the time ;)
Lookin good!

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 02:54:11 PM BST GMT »
I like the way you redid the mouth looks much better now I wound ad a bigger upper lip but that is me
good luck