Author Topic: Discussion  (Read 9776 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 04:43:55 PM BST GMT »
One question.
Should the figure be in one piece?

For the purposes of the competition, it'd be a good idea if everything was attached and in place.  At the very least with a bit of blu-tac.
For the purposes of whether Impact! will accept it for Targeted Impact!, here's a quote from way back in the mists of time:

... metal skeletons MUST be made out of a
material that can be easily cut with clippers.   Sometimes a figure
will need an arm loped off in order to be cast.   We recently received
a set of 6 figures from a sculptor for Targeted Impact! who used
hardened steel wire for his skeleton which could only be cut using a
diamond dremel blade ... this damaged the sculpts during the cuts and
we had to pay another sculptor $350 just to fix the damage to the 6
figures that was caused by the dremel blade because the wire skeleton
could not be easily cut.

Looks like Impact will do all the conversion to multipart (i.e. chopping the arms off of it).   If you want to cut the sculpt yourself or sculpt it in parts, I'm sure you can send a query or bash it out with them in the event of their acceptance; though I'm going to guess it might be easier overall just to sculpt in one piece.  And avoid hardened steel wire.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:56:18 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline ImpactMiniatures

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 06:12:59 PM BST GMT »
Looks like Impact will do all the conversion to multipart (i.e. chopping the arms off of it).   If you want to cut the sculpt yourself or sculpt it in parts, I'm sure you can send a query or bash it out with them in the event of their acceptance; though I'm going to guess it might be easier overall just to sculpt in one piece.  And avoid hardened steel wire.
Yes we are willing to do the cutting ourselves.   However if you have a way you want it to be in seperate pieces ... you can do so.  However if we try to have it cast ... we have on occassion had the caster say he thought the figure was cut in the wrong place and then have to cut it again.  We have one figure in our store.  MK Midifielder #3 which the sculpter cut twice and the the caster said ... really needs one more (and the previous cuts were not necessary) ... so what should have been a two piece figure ended up being a 4 piece figure.

Tom

Offline Burano

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 08:08:52 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for the answer!

Tomorrow I'll be trying to post my photos. (And I sculpted the figure of one piece  :D)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 10:50:21 PM BST GMT »
Thanks Tom. :)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 10:40:20 AM BST GMT »
Okay... any objections to extending the deadline by a couple of weeks?  I'm not saying people aren't sculpting like the clappers; but just going by the activity in the board, we might not have enough to take all three prize places. :?

Offline Revliss

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 11:42:39 AM BST GMT »
 winning with out  a fight ?  :lol:

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 04:15:31 PM BST GMT »
While I can understand that those that have worked hard to meet the deadline might be pissed about an extension, I personally am very lazy and would welcome a few more weeks! (not that I'll finish anyway...)

Just.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 07:02:52 PM BST GMT »
I have 2 figures in the pipeline, not sure yet witch to enter and both are not done yet so a week or 2 would be handy

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 02:04:20 AM BST GMT »
mine is finished  :D

so i dont need an extension

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 10:00:43 AM BST GMT »
While I can understand that those that have worked hard to meet the deadline might be pissed about an extension

Hence the discussion. :)  But like I say, going solely by the photos and progress posted, only Revliss and Dracon here would have reason to be pissed.
Still, that's partly why I'm hesitant to go flip-flopping on the issue. (Also because I've been doing enough of that already)  Is everyone else satisfied to have a grand total of two finishing entrants?  Or are people still working?  Are any of the other entrants, besides Just and Mondria, reading this?  Are you still beavering away?  Is anybody out there...?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:02:43 AM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 11:17:18 AM BST GMT »
Hey Warren, don't worry mine's coming along nicely, I've just been distracted by a commision  :) I'm sure I'll be finished by the end if the month though.  :mrgreen:

Offline Sazerac

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 12:13:23 PM BST GMT »
Are any of the other entrants, besides Just and Mondria, reading this?  Are you still beavering away?  Is anybody out there...?

I'm still working away. I should be finished by the deadline, but another couple of weeks puts me clear of some big uni deadlines, so I wont exactly complain at more time.

Offline Smop

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 05:49:22 PM BST GMT »
I'm still thinking about it and hoping to get it done. Two extra weeks couldn't hurt!

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 12:07:21 AM BST GMT »
I'm happy with whatever. Progress has halted on mine but I may get started up again tonight now that I've been reminded. Mines a pretty simple sculpt so should finish by the deadline with a little bit of work here and there. I'm easy either way.

Offline lahatiel

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 06:10:44 PM BST GMT »
I'd seen references to this contest a while back on some Blood Bowl forums, let it slip my mind before signing up for the forums here, and promptly forgot about it until yesterday.  :?  As such, I'm just getting started, and will post my armature pic within the next day or two. I can probably still push myself to finish by the deadline, but an extra week or two would be greatly appreciated on my end -- mainly because Monday the 30th is a holiday here in the United States, which means I'll be quite busy with family and gatherings, etc. in the last couple days before the current deadline, with very little time for sculpting then. I certainly understand if an extension doesn't happen and would never complain about that, but I did want to let you know that you've got one more guy out there who would appreciate it!  :D

Also: I do apologize for showing up on this board as a total stranger and making my first post as being in favor, at the last minute, of extending a deadline under which everyone else has been legitimately toiling for a while now. Poor form, I know, and I'm sorry.  :oops:  By way of introduction then -- and so you're aware that when I say I want to take part in this fantasy football sculpting contest, I'm not just some random chump talking out of my ass -- here's my old thread on CMoN for a fantasy football (sideline) figure I've sculpted in the past, for a Blood Bowl tournament I help run every year:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?36948-My-first-ever-sculpt-Blood-Bowl-Witch-Elf-Sideline-Reporter

(I linked to that thread as opposed than my figure's CMoN voting page because, in the time between the final sculpt pic that got posted and getting her cast, I did some extra work on the face -- so if you scroll past the sculpt pic at the top and get to the produced metal figure about 3/4 of the way down, you'll see a much-improved face on the final version.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:12:49 PM BST GMT by lahatiel »