Author Topic: March '11 Sculptalong: Fantasy Football. Who's keen?  (Read 18104 times)

Offline Palocles

March '11 Sculptalong: Fantasy Football. Who's keen?
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:05:11 AM GMT GMT »
OK, so i mentioned this in the sculptalong threan and Justin and Bergill are keen.  let's try get a whole team together!

With no alternative suggestions I see no problem if we pick up the ball and run with it*.  Maybe Vernis' busy?

I got this idea because i've recently played a few games of BB with some dark elf tackle bags.  So i was thinking (because i don't actually have a team) of taking a crack at sculpting a delf player but i don't really want to sculpt the armour style they have.  So i thought maybe i'd just do a human player, which would be pretty easy, IMO, as they can have pretty plain armour.

Then i played another game and a delf blitzer got a strength bost for his skill roll and also got a permanent agility boost from the potion he had chugged.  This really puts him in star player territory so maybe i should do the delf?

Anyway, why wait, lets chip in with our ideas and intentions.  Maybe we can get 11 people working on this** and have an old world all stars team?

*See what i did there?  Cheesy radio pun.
**Are there even 11 of us in here?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:48:47 AM GMT GMT by Palocles »

Offline Bergil

Re: March '12 Scultalong: Fantasy Football. Who's keen?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:31:51 AM GMT GMT »
I've made some small attempts at "blood bowling" up the first sculpt I made up, but I would like to produce at least one "proper" blood bowl type player so yes I'd be in for this one.

As for having eleven people to sign up to this well, that's on a good day  ;)

Oddity

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:50:04 PM GMT GMT »
I deoubt my crappy sculpting abilities are up for this but I might give it a try and see what I can come up with...

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:55 PM GMT GMT »
I like the idea, and as I said previously I think it could be good to try and get a sponsor on board for it!

I'd propose however that the brief was a bit tighter, maybe pick a race/team and have a general concept drawn up then we all work from that to produce a player each.

Just.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:05 PM GMT GMT »
I deoubt my crappy sculpting abilities are up for this but I might give it a try and see what I can come up with...
It's definately worth a crack (nigel) and i think that a BB/FF mini would be on the easy side of the bell curve.  As long as you get your proportions right, can do a decent face (and you could do a full face helmet if you can't) and a bit of cloth drapery.  Get your pose and put a bit of cloth for uniform then chunky armour and your done.  Armour can be as simple of complicated as you want.

Bergil:  Yeah, i didn't think we'd get 11 people in on this.  But it would have been nice.  We coud always do multiples each though.

Justin: I think i see where you are coming from with the one race/team thing* but i don't think we should put too many restrictions on this.  We could always do a mini poll on it** but i think if someone is inspired to do a halfling blocker or something wierd then we shouldn't stop them from doing that.

I'll email Impact after this and let them know who we are and what we are doing.  They have their Targeted Impact program (http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=sculptor) which means that we could all submit the minis for assessment and potential casting anyway but we might also be able to have someone from there acting as a judge and maybe do things a little differently.  I'll let you all know what they say.

* One race or team would allow us to put together something closer to an actual team and make it more of an apples to apples comparison.  Different races would still be apples though, just different types.  They'd probably all have to be man sized or smaller apples though.

** I'm a vote for no race restriction and Justin is a vote for picking a race to work to.  So we are hung so far, if everyone else (both of you, so far) wants to chip in a vote we can be democratic.

edit: emailed them now but i'm on the other side of the world to them so don't expect a quick reply.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:15:24 AM GMT GMT by Palocles »

Oddity

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:23:07 AM GMT GMT »
 A Chaos team would be very versatile... ;D

Offline Palocles

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:39:44 AM GMT GMT »
My other example was going to be a tentacled blobby chaos thing but i though halfling blocker would do on his own.

If we each do something different then chaos is what we'll have anyway but i don't really fancy doing a Chaos BB player.  I'm actually leaning towards human if not Delf.  (But my totally ridiculous halfling blocker suggestion is growing on me.)  And that could be a big problem if a single race is chosen, we'd all have to agree on which race.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:17:21 AM GMT GMT »
wouldn't it be possible to do this as a long term project - e.g. have a poll to determine the two or three races/ cults/ whatever people seem to be most interessted in and have the 'competition' run for a while?
or even have different categories like big ones, little fast characters, throwers, ...  and after a while ( four months/xmas/easter???) there's a poll for every category to decide which ones should be allowed into the team.
that said, i'm somewhat drunkish and my idea may not make any sense at all to anyone else.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Palocles

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:03:36 AM GMT GMT »
Well, one of the big things about the Monthly Sculptalong is that it only takes one month to finish.

But yeah, if it wasn't for that, we could take as long as we wanted.

If you want to do a slow burn FF project then go for it!  You can always submit it to Impact via their offer i mentioned above.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 02:21:25 AM GMT GMT »
probably should have been a bit more precise. what i meant was more like decide on some race/ cult for one month then do the second one next and so on. a bit like an ongoing sculptalong - more like one 'theme' a month and after a while decide on the team to be cast.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Palocles

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 02:39:11 AM GMT GMT »
Fair enough.  Not sure how many people are going to want to do FF every month though.

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:56:37 PM GMT GMT »
I wouldn't take me as a bench mark, I probably won't end up getting anything done!

just

Offline Bergil

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 01:32:38 PM GMT GMT »
Well there isn't anything to stop us doing a few different guys between us. Anyone who wants to chip in can and then we'll all just have to be patient and wait til everyone is finished.

I for one don't like having say a month to try and finish something that isn't already in my line up of things I want to do. Mostly because I've got a 9-5 job, two young kids and a needy wife. So the time given to me for sculpting is rather precious and honestly I'd rather go about making my own things rather than worrying about some competition or sculpt along.

So perhaps a flat statement of:

sculpt as many Blood bowl types as you like, we'll pool them at the end of the year and promote them to Impact as the mini sculpture forums team.

How's that sound?

Offline Borak

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:02:15 PM GMT GMT »
I might be interested, i'm not a big fan of fantasy football games like BB in general but i have always thought it'd be fun to do a couple of lovecraft based teams, maybe the 'Innsmouth Squids' and/or the Mi-Go Marauders and perhaps a shoggoth star player  :D

Oddity

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 03:19:15 PM GMT GMT »
Seeing my slowness I am going to take a gamble and will start on a (chaosy) Halfling if that's allright. (?)
Or should I wait till we start officially?

Edit: Btw, if we all do Starplayers then we don't need to choose a specific team.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:20:49 PM GMT GMT by Oddity »