Author Topic: Uro polymer clay review  (Read 27517 times)

Offline Stephus

Re: Uro polymer clay review
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 12:27:38 PM GMT GMT »
Hey, I've recently just bought a bundle of this clay, thanks for the great review. 
I'm a lil chuffed off I bought 15 individually rather than have a look and come across the bulk offers they have on this website so for anyone reading this, if you want more than a couple they have some good deals. 10 for £15 :) Thanks again for posting this info up VERY helpful.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:50 PM GMT GMT »
You're welcome. :)  You're also welcome to the forum.

Offline Bork

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 07:33:40 PM GMT GMT »
I just ordered it. Another clay for my collection ;)

I'll post again later when I've tried it out.

Offline jeff_lamarche

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 11:36:53 PM GMT GMT »
Great review. I've been building up to trying a mini in polymer clay. I've done work at larger scale in polymer clay, but for 32mm and 54mm, I've always used putty. I'm such a klutz and am so prone to putting thumbprints in my work, polymer clay honestly scares me a little for such a small scale.

But, with low-temperature vulcanizing rubbers, I know a lot of sculptors have moved to (or started with) Fimo, so I've decided to give it a try, just hard to break the putty habit. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen Uro here in the states. Fimo, Super Sculpey, ProSculpt, Cernit, Kato… doll making is popular enough here in the states, that most hobby stores have several brands available, but alas, no Uro.

Anyone have a recommendation for the best place to order from if you're in the states?

Offline Viper1959

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 02:36:20 AM GMT GMT »
Picked some URO up yesterday, from PollyMcClayCreations, as its only about 5 miles from me and got 5 packs for £8.

I've not tried it before, but after reading this review, I thought I would get some and experiment with it.

So far I have tried to cure it in a lamp oven used for speeding up curing of GS, I left it for 20 mins and at the end it was hard'ish? but could still put a nail dent in it, next time I will leave it for 35-40 mins.

Another way to cure it I will try, is to use a pan of boiling water to dip it in for 30 seconds or so, I saw this on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApneIdLScrk

Interesting I thought, I know its using super sculpy, but its still a polymer clay after all?

When I've tried it, I'll report back.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 09:38:53 AM GMT GMT »
Why would you not just put it in the oven?
Interesting to see the boiling water trick though.....

EDIT: someone on the comments seems to think that the boiling method doesn't properly cure, which does make sense. Always wondered about a "heat gun" too but that'd be hard to consistently control and risk burning not to mention the fumes issue.
Best to stick to oven baking I recon.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:45:08 AM GMT GMT by Andrew May »

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 09:53:57 AM GMT GMT »
EDIT: someone on the comments seems to think that the boiling method doesn't properly cure, which does make sense. Always wondered about a "heat gun" too but that'd be hard to consistently control and risk burning not to mention the fumes issue.
Best to stick to oven baking I recon.

Done that, been there. Not good imo. Only cures the surface well and stays squishy beneath + if it cures good on the inside, the outside is pretty much burned. Too hot I suppose. Even tried it with a lighter once, same result. Crispy outside and soft on the inside. Before you ask, it was NOT a finished sculpt and yes I was bored.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Caerban

• My Den of Silliness
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:19 PM GMT GMT »
I spend a lot of time on polymer clay sculpting sites, trying to find the easy way to do things and none of them recommend (most of them don't even mention) boiling or baking with a heat gun. A lot of these people are pros so I'd stick to that advice. As an addendum however I have seen people mention "setting" with a heat gun. A quick blast to firm up the surface you're happy with to prevent you obliterating details with your fat thumb by accident. This is just a surface set though and a full bake needs to be carried out later.

Offline Viper1959

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 01:12:00 PM GMT GMT »
Why would you not just put it in the oven?

I have seen or heard somewhere that polymer clay leaves a toxic? residue and smell in the oven, can anyone give me info on this? (confirm or disprove?) as my wife is fussy about what goes in HER oven... LOL.

Thanks for the info so far...

Dave.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 02:48:13 PM GMT GMT »
I spend a lot of time on polymer clay sculpting sites, trying to find the easy way to do things and none of them recommend (most of them don't even mention) boiling or baking with a heat gun. A lot of these people are pros so I'd stick to that advice. As an addendum however I have seen people mention "setting" with a heat gun. A quick blast to firm up the surface you're happy with to prevent you obliterating details with your fat thumb by accident. This is just a surface set though and a full bake needs to be carried out later.

There is the possibility to firm certain areas up temporarily for some special detail you'd want to sculpt on top of it. Ice spray does the trick pretty good. After a few minutes the clay is soft again. I actually don't use ice spray but have witnessed another sculptor doing it. The putty was rock hard and could even be carved, later on it was soft as usual.

Boiling Poly clays is a frenchmens thing. Some of them harden their minis with boiling water. Nevertheless I prefer the oven and haven't heard of anybody excpt the few frenchies that do set their clay like that. They used Fimo in this particular case I know of.

skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline jeff_lamarche

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 05:19:03 PM GMT GMT »
If you're worried about "contaminating" your oven, buy a small halogen oven, problem solved. The plasticizers in polymer clays are toxic, even the newer phthalate-free ones, but I don't think there's much of an issue with cross-contamination of food from using the same oven, as long as you're not using utensils and bakeware for both (ne'er the two shall meet is best bet).

Heat guns are great for firming up parts to keep from destroying them, but they don't transfer heat effectively enough for the inside of the sculpture to reach sufficiently high temperature without running the risk of scorching the outside.

I've never head of the boiling technique. In theory, it seems like it should work, but boiling water is only 100° (212°F), so it seems like you'd have to boil it for considerably longer than the baking instructions say.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 10:36:35 PM GMT GMT »
as long as you're not using utensils and bakeware for both (ne'er the two shall meet is best bet).

This.  I've seen polymer clay discussions and guides that say never use utensils, trays and dishes, pasta machines etc. for food, once you've used polyclay with them.  The warning I've seen for ovens is not to overbake or overheat the clay, to avoid a buildup of toxic gasses.  I've used the normal oven for my own few attempts, kept it low, and let it air out afterwards.

I've seen the boiling technique mentioned a few times too (including on other topics here - do a search), and the biggest problem there is that it doesn't tend to work well with fimo and it';s absorbent kaolin filler.  And don't use the same pan/crock for food etc. etc. :)

Offline Viper1959

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:02 PM GMT GMT »
Just ordered a small halogen oven for £27 off Amazon, problem solved, thanks Jeff... ;-)

Offline jeff_lamarche

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 01:24:21 AM GMT GMT »
Just ordered a small halogen oven for £27 off Amazon, problem solved, thanks Jeff... ;-)

Ah, can't take credit for the idea. The first I'd heard of the darn things was the Aragorn Marks video for Miniature Mentor, and I'm just passing along the info. I don't have one myself because I keep giving Fimo a go and then reverting right back to putty. I find Fimo really hard at this scale and am way too prone to squishing my thumb into random parts of the miniature. I do it with putty at times, too, but the short working time usually saves me. Also, they're not as common here in the states, and seem to be more expensive.

Offline Burano

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 04:16:25 PM GMT GMT »
I have received my order of Uro. I have only played a bit, but the feelings are good.

In the manufacturer's website says that the baking time is 20 or 30 minutes at 130º. Time for Super Sculpey Firm is 15 minutes at the same temperature.

My plan is to use a combination of the two putties to sculpt. Any idea how to bake a miniature made with these two putties? Noticed that if you keep the figure in the oven more than 15 minutes the Super Sculpey firm burns.