Author Topic: Uro polymer clay review  (Read 27514 times)

Offline Caerban

• My Den of Silliness
Re: Uro polymer clay review
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:51 PM GMT GMT »
Definitely bake properly. If you don't bake fully and evenly you'll end up with patches of partially or unbaked clay underneath and a thin crust of hard stuff on top which will just crack and flake off. You can "set" the surface to prevent finger printing whilst you sculpt but you have to bake it fully at the end.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:35 PM GMT GMT »
Well, in all honesty I'm currently baking it using my desklamps as I can't be bothered with the whole oven thing at home, it takes ages to warm up and costs a bomb- the lamps get hot enough to melt sturdy plastic things, so seem to be hot enough to solidify the clay enough to work on it further without leaving fingerprints etc. I've no idea what temp they achieve, but it's certainly hot enough to burn your finger if you pick up some metal that's been under them.

If you're saying the clay gets real tough from an oven bake, I guess I'll have to go with that after all!

Yep.....

Offline Viper1959

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 05:34:12 PM GMT GMT »
Well, in all honesty I'm currently baking it using my desklamps as I can't be bothered with the whole oven thing at home, it takes ages to warm up and costs a bomb- the lamps get hot enough to melt sturdy plastic things, so seem to be hot enough to solidify the clay enough to work on it further without leaving fingerprints etc. I've no idea what temp they achieve, but it's certainly hot enough to burn your finger if you pick up some metal that's been under them.

If you're saying the clay gets real tough from an oven bake, I guess I'll have to go with that after all!

I tried the desklamp approach, and as you found out, it was very fragile.

I purchased a 12 litre halogen oven, a cheap one and a good quality oven thermometer, Im glad I did, because I found using just the temperature setting on the oven, It was only getting to 80 degrees C when set to 125 degrees C, so Im glad I purchased a seperate oven thermometer, It is well worth a few quid.

To help keep the clay useable quicker, try keeping some wrapped in cling-film in your pocket to help keep it warm until you need it, thats what I do.

hope this helps...

Dave.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:39:41 PM GMT GMT by Viper1959 »

Offline rocketmonkey

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:55 PM GMT GMT »
Hmmm... Lots of interesting reviews and advice. May give it a go in the (not too) distant future!

Cheers for bringing this polymer clay's existence to my attention :)

Peace

Offline chris

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:54 PM GMT GMT »
I found another retailer for Uro with reasonable postage prices for the UK - if you just want a couple of packs to try.
http://www.mbfg.co.uk

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 09:54:57 PM GMT GMT »
Yep, they're good.

Offline Burano

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2012, 10:43:27 PM BST GMT »
 Seems that (http://pollymcclaycreations.co.uk) no longer has Uro putty through its website. Any other online store to buy Uro from outside the UK?

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2012, 08:37:25 AM BST GMT »
Seems that (http://pollymcclaycreations.co.uk) no longer has Uro putty through its website. Any other online store to buy Uro from outside the UK?
Haven't done any business with those shops, so can't comment on reliability/...:
http://www.chunungatree.com/contents/en-ca/d93_Polymer_Clay.html (Only worth it if you're ordering a few packages, as they only seem to offer shipping stuff signed for. Also they don't seem to accept paypal. )
http://www.animationsupplies.net/uro.php (As above shipping's fairly high: did place a package of uro in the cart- shipping costs would be £12.00, they'd be the same for 10 packages as well. But they do seem to accept paypal.)

Might be a good idea to contact newclay products (http://www.newclay.co.uk/Index.htm) directly, they might be able to at least list distributors in Europe.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Heresy Miniatures

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:57 AM BST GMT »
I've emailed them to ask about trade terms. Will let you know.

Meanwhile, I can say that muscles etc = good with Uro. hard edges, fur etc = not good. Blobby, softened, etc. Doesn't carve well, either, tendency to crumble/flake. Where I've used Uro over gs/bs mix, the Uro shrank away from the putty during moulding, so that there is a visible edge to the layer after the master was cooled. However this was not transferred to the cavity on the mould. My future projects will probably use Uro to build an underlying body, then other putties for any detailing etc.

Offline Burano

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 11:49:05 AM BST GMT »

Thanks for the info guys! =)

I wanted to buy a couple packs of white, but all the shops that find they have Uro, or only sell to UK or shipping charges are very high.

In my experience, so far, I have found that the Uro works best with Procreate than with GS.

To prevent crumble / scales, to me it has worked well to bake for longer at lower temperatures.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:37 PM BST GMT »
I'd only partially agree with Andy. I find Uro to be not so great for hard edges but fine (sometimes great) for fur. Also I find that it carves/files/drills/sands well too. Saying this I gave been using it every day for ages!

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2012, 08:02:35 AM BST GMT »
Which colour are you using, Andrew? One of my problems was I couldn't see the bloody stuff after it had been baked, as it went slightly translucent instead of matt. (Flesh colour, which went yellow and waxy looking)

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2012, 10:14:16 AM BST GMT »
Yes, there's a lot of variation in translucency between the colours! I usually use the (mid) green mixed with a little grey/white/yellow to cut out the translucency (you'll have to experiment) the green by itself is translucent, the bright green isn't but it's sooooo bright! The forest green is nice but is too dark to take a decent pic of.
The best straight out of the pack is the grey, it's a tiny bit darker than I'd like so I usually mix a touch of white in but if you wanted to sell it you'll not go far wrong with the grey.
Also Andy, how was the consistency of your colour? it's fairly consistent across the range but my magnolia pack is much softer than the others and the black....well, it's like paste!

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:46 PM BST GMT »
Seems that (http://pollymcclaycreations.co.uk) no longer has Uro putty through its website.

Bugger. :(

I've emailed them to ask about trade terms. Will let you know.

Thanks Andy.

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2012, 09:11:38 AM BST GMT »
They never got back to me...