Author Topic: Uro polymer clay review  (Read 26698 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: Uro polymer clay review
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 02:04:08 PM GMT GMT »
Happy it seems to be living up to my hype - for the most part. :)

I've started work on my big mutant giant

Wah-hey!

I do find however that it does flake slightly whilst working - not dissimilar to fimo classic

I haven't noticed that myself.  Yet.

I notice that in Warrens opener the little face had a nice sheen and smooth finish - is this achieved through specific lube?

Water. :)  I can understand why it'd be a good lube, being repelled by the oil in polymer clay, but I'm not entirely sure why it makes the surface so slick and shiny.  Not that it keeps me up at night.

I'm also massively paranoid abut the baking bit, how thick is too thick for a single bake? How may bakes will it take if I bake in layers? It's keeping me up at night!!!
I'm sure answers will be forthcoming, tonight is test bale night!

Just

I don't have the greatest experience in the world, but baking at lower temps seems to do okay for me.  But I'm waiting to hear about your results.

Offline chris

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08:47 PM GMT GMT »
Thinking of giving this a go, what colour would people recommend?

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 01:14:16 PM GMT GMT »
I went with magnolia, it's a nice off white - very easy on my eyes. But I also grabbed a pack of black to mix in just in case!

Just.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 03:35:31 PM GMT GMT »
I'd personally go for a similar colour to what ever epoxie that you prefer, I just find it easier on the eye if you need to use any after the initial bake(s).

Better order some soon......

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:09:40 PM GMT GMT »
Just ordered some, I'll report back when I've used it  ;)

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 04:07:47 PM GMT GMT »
Well as you have seen from the cyclops I've posted on the finished sculpts section, I've now used Uro.

Personally I found it a lovely medium to work in. It's a little firmer than fimo, about the same as super sculpy firm although with out the slightly grainy/crystaline texture of the aforementioned putties it's actually slightly 'waxy' in feel. As Warren said it's quite tough straight out of the pack but is conditioned easily by kneading, in fact you have to not knead it too much as it becomes very sticky and elastic (which may be usefull to some degree) I actually tried mixing a tiny bit of fimo soft into it yesterday....don't! it became almost like glue!! As for how it feels to work with, I have found that when it's freshly conditioned it's very similar to fresh(ish) green stuff. It actually takes quite a while to firm up again, somthing like an hour or more. Once it's firmed up it's similar to half cured GS owing to it's elastic nature. I havn't tried a double bake piece but I can confirm that it is pretty sticky, again about the same as half cured GS in either state (conditoned or firmed).

I can't think of anything else to add that hasn't been said by others but if I think of anything I'll edit it in. ;)

Edit: The colour i chose seems to darken a LOT when it's baked!
Unbaked

Baked

I'm sure I didn't burn it! 0_0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:15:57 AM GMT GMT by Andrew May »

Offline hivetrygon

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 05:03:38 AM BST GMT »
I tried this tonight, very little be it but I like it. Seems stiffer than the cernit but I'm thinking of mixing the 2 half and half and see what I get.  ;) I love the cernit because it's a bit stiffer than most polymer and this one is nice as well. Seems to take a long time to soften enough to apply over an armature of green stuff?

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 11:34:45 PM BST GMT »
Missed your post Ed, it does take a while to condition but it does get very sof and sticky eventually.
Might be quicker for me.....I have weirdly hot hands!

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 01:52:25 PM BST GMT »
Quote from: Andrew May
I actually tried mixing a tiny bit of fimo soft into it yesterday....don't! it became almost like glue!!

Quote from: hivetrygon
Seems stiffer than the cernit but I'm thinking of mixing the 2 half and half and see what I get.

I mixed it with cernit myself, recently.  Pretty good mix and trade-off between the different properties.  Next I'm going to try putting a bit of fimo soft in it, just for giggles. ;)

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 06:42:02 PM BST GMT »
I might have been exagerating or it might be my freakishly hot hands at play!
With the fimo soft mixed in it was like sculpting with window putty but YMMV.  ;)

edit: Also I found that using Vaseline to smooth it seemed to disolve the top layer, anyone else want to try it to confirm?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:44:15 PM BST GMT by Andrew May »

Offline Ikothel

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 01:00:21 PM BST GMT »
This seems intriguing, just wondered how well it sticks to wire armatures/cork bases and the like?

I like the idea of sculpting in polymer, as you can sculpt, then after looking back at it/getting feedback, fix it more easily. However, Cernit (the only one I've tried so far) won't stick to anything. Which, when being used to greenstuff, is quite frustrating  :P

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 01:01:39 AM BST GMT »
I wouldn't try sticking polyclay to bare wire anyway, not unless it was a thick, twisted piece, so I can't say much about that. :)  The wire necessary for likkle wargaming minis would act too much like a cheese... wire, in my view.  More on armatures for polyclay here.

On Uro specifically: like I say, it's pretty sticky for a polymer clay, and acts more like GS than the others I've tried.  Not just like GS, but more like. ;)  If you try it, I'd like to know your opinions on it.  'Potential ideal first polyclay for GS sculptors' and all that.

Offline Ikothel

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 09:45:21 PM BST GMT »
Ah, i'd tried to use Cernit over a thin wrapping of GS, but still had a few problems. It might have been my impatience though, should you wait for the GS to cure before trying to sculpt the polymer?  :oops:

Either way, I think I'll pick some of this up, just to test it and see how I like it. I'd post my opinions here, of course  ;)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:23 AM BST GMT »
should you wait for the GS to cure before trying to sculpt the polymer?  :oops:

Not necessary.  Some get a good bond by sticking a layer of polyclay to the uncured putty.  Then bulking up the polyclay after that's cured, as far as I know.

I'd post my opinions here, of course  ;)

Ta. :)

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 12:18:24 PM BST GMT »
should you wait for the GS to cure before trying to sculpt the polymer?  :oops:

Not necessary.  Some get a good bond by sticking a layer of polyclay to the uncured putty.  Then bulking up the polyclay after that's cured, as far as I know.

I've realised that sticking the clay on with GS isn't needed with Uro as it's 'natural' adhesion is enough to get it to stay put. I do bulk the armature up a bit first though as nothing really likes to stick to thin wire alone.  ;)