Author Topic: ULTRAMARINES.....  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
ULTRAMARINES.....
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:25 PM GMT GMT »
Watched 'Ultramarines' today (didn't buy it, I 'acquired' it in a digital format  8) ), it's bad, its' really bad.
At first I was shocked by how poor the animation was, not just the quality of the maquettes and the general lack of any kind of terrain or texture to the backgrounds but the way everything moved - it's sub video game quality, it's like the film company couldn't be bothered to work out how a marine would move in their power armor and the facial animation is laugh out loud bad in places. I actually thought the graphics in the Fire Warrior video game released back in 2003 were better.
After a while though I got desensitised to the shoddy visuals and started to concentrate on the the story and acting as I had faith in the stellar cast and GW's ability to get their own fiction right, I was a fool. The actors for the most part are phoning it in, there's very little in the way of voice acting, more reading the script in an official-ish accent. An the story is poor, it makes Space Marines look very human, and quite stupid.

ALERT! SPOILERS TO FOLLOW>>>>

The best bit by far was the Thunderhawk, it looked very good compared to the rest of the movie, maybe it was the test footage they showed to GW to get the rights so they worked harder on it than the rest of the film!

The dumbest bit by far -  why were there only about 12 marines on a strike cruiser? and if there were more what were they up to whilst a Deamon Prince stomped around in their chapel?

I'd give it a 3/10 just for the fact that it's at least a bit cool to see a Warhammer film, but no more because they've done better both visually and story wise in video games previously.

Just 8)

Offline Borak

Re: ULTRAMARINES.....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:06:35 PM GMT GMT »
personally i'm not expecting much.

i think the explanation is in the title, i don't think the smurfs were the best subject for a first ever 40k movie. personally i'd have gone with necromunda, yeah smurfs are the 40k poster boys but they're not really suited to engaging cinematic storytelling. you could probably make a decent necromunda movie. a gritty PA setting and a plot about segregation, violence and gang culture. it would have more appeal outside the fanboy community certainly. i think many GW customers would watch any 40k movie and overall sales would not have been affected much, especially if the plot had been half decent. perhaps that was the problem, if the customers will watch anything why put in the effort?

you could even follow it with a sequel that sees the surviving gangers conscripted into the IG, shipped off world and forced to work together to survive a tyrannid attack. the marines could then come storming in like a big ol' Deus Ex Machina and save the day like the lords of awesome they're meant to be rather than the tw@s they are portrayed as in the film they did release

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:48:23 PM GMT GMT »
I actually thought the graphics in the Fire Warrior video game released back in 2003 were better.

Yikes.

Quote from: Borak
i don't think the smurfs were the best subject for a first ever 40k movie. personally i'd have gone with necromunda, yeah smurfs are the 40k poster boys but they're not really suited to engaging cinematic storytelling.

300 seemed to do okay.  Just add power armour and stir. ;)

Necromunda... I dunno.  Nice game, but as a example - and possibly an introductory example - of 40K background, the setting and game are fairly far off the beaten track.  Might be just a bit more worthwhile than a Gorkamorka movie, in that respect.

But still, that's not to say I'm tempted to see the movie that did get made.  Not anymore.

Offline Borak

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:48:06 PM GMT GMT »
300 had a much much bigger budget though.

i more meant that smurfs aren't suited to film making on the cheap.

you're right that necromunda is a bit off the beaten track but as the caracters have more humanity it would be easier to write than the slightly psycho brainwashed mind set of a marine.

perhaps Inquisitor would have been a better route, allowing for more 40k wierdness...

but wait, haven't they done that already?

i just think marines are the wrong subject for an intro movie, theres a massive amount to explain about 40k, i just wish they'd taken a gentler more intelligent approach rather than jumping in the deep end. the 40k universe is such a crazy place that i think you'd be well served having relatable and believable characters tohelp an uninitiated audience susspend their disbelief and buy into the existance of gods, daemons etc.