Author Topic: Wilds Mikko Koivu at home at Bell centre  (Read 78 times)

Offline sherry2018love

Wilds Mikko Koivu at home at Bell centre
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:03:29 AM GMT GMT »
MONTREAL - Mikko Koivu is no stranger to the Bell Centre, even though he has rarely visited the Montreal Canadiens home rink with the Minnesota Wild.As a young boy, a pint-sized Koivu often visited to see his John Johnson Jersey  older brother Saku play for the Canadiens."Everything was new to me as a young kid, coming to see an NHL game and seeing NHL players(Mark) Recchi and all those players," Mikko Koivu said Tuesday ahead of the Wild's game against the Canadiens. "It was a fun time."I spent a lot of time here. I know my way around, but it's been a long time since I've been here. It was a great time for the whole family. It was great for a kid growing up. Hockey here in Montreal, there's not a better place to see that and to learn."Being able to follow him that closely Jack Youngblood Jersey  was something special and I'll always remember that."The now six-foot-three Koivu returned as captain of one of the NHL's hottest clubs. The Wild were riding a Michael Brockers Jersey  an eight-game points streak (7-0-1) after a win over Winnipeg on Sunday gave them a sweep of a three game homestand.The 30-year-old Koivu doesn't like to compare himself to his brother, who is eight years older but is still playing in the NHL, now with the Anaheim Ducks.Both came from the TPS Turkku club, where their father Jukka Koivu was coach.The five-foot-10 Saku was drafted 21st overall by Montreal in 1993 and became one of the city's most popular players, although he endured a horrific run of setbacks, including major injuries to both knees, almost losing an eye to a high stick, and Jamon Brown Jersey  a battle with cancer.Saku Koivu served 10 years as the Canadiens captain, starting in 1999 until he left as a free agent in 2009 to play with his Finnish national team linemate Teemu Selanne in Anaheim.