Author Topic: Concepts for some 54mms. Now with nuts! No, Armitures!  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Palocles

Concepts for some 54mms. Now with nuts! No, Armitures!
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:53:32 AM GMT GMT »
Ok, so it's not a WIP yet, unless you count the conceptualising as being in progress...

Sadly, it's not even sketchy/drawing concepts.  Just words.

So anyway, while i was on holiday and delerious with fever (slight exageration) i thought about some characters i could make for my (actual WIP) 54mm combat game.  The first is a sort of Witch Doctor/ Voodoo Priest that i didn't really have an idea for until the aforementioned thinking that i was doing.  (And even though the light/dark magic section is going to be the last thing we work out the rules for.)

So the idea is a guy about 5'9", 52mm in scale who is fairly lean with ropey muscles.  Not too sure about age yet.  Older and wrinkly, with a correspondingly stooped posture, seems to suggest itself for the idea but a younger, stronger and more upright figure might be even more sinister.  (I'll take feedback of opinions on this, thanks)

Either way, he'll be wearing a sort of fox or small wild animal skin as a short cloak.  The animals skull, with fur, will form a 'hat' for him, whith it's lower jaw split and hanging down either side of his face, while the front paws make a scarf and the rest of the skin, back legs and tail hang down his back.  On his chest he'll be wearing a ribcage, removed from a larger creature and fashioned into a rather grim sort of breast plate armour.  This will be attached to his chest with some cords that are tied around his body.

He'll be holding a staff with a crucified chicken on it in his left hand (this is something i actually saw in Cambodia, it's an offering to some god or other and actually looks like it's crucified).  In his other hand he'll be holding a skeletal arm with pointing hand, which he uses as a wand.  This arm might be child sized and may or may not include the upper arm bone.  He'll probably be bare foot and wear a pair of loose ragged trousers to maintain his modesty.

How does this sound?  If i stop procrastinating i'll put armitures and WIPs of the actual work in this thread too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:51:22 AM GMT GMT by Palocles »

Offline Palocles

Re: Concepts for some 54mms.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:38:59 AM GMT GMT »
15 views, no opinions?  Thats a shame.  Is it because there's no actual work done yet?   :P

Something i forgot about the fire elemental armour is that it should be posable to put a normal head in the collar for an easy conversion to a person wearing elemental armour.  Some ideas for weapon and shield stlye would be nice.  :)

Character concept 2:

Another idea was inspired by some 'spot the differences' game I played on an iPad on the same holiday.

It's basically a suit of armour.  The idea evolved as I mulled it over though.  Initially I thought of making it clockwork or steam punk but them I thought I could make it a bit more original than that.  So I reused an idea I had for a sequence in a story, which was to have a (slightly more) powerful (than they thought) fire elemental bound into a suit of rune covered armour so it could be controlled and used on war (etc).

So taking this idea and converting it to the scale i'm working in, which is human sized, not giant angry godlike entity, i've got a man sized suit of plate armour with a fire elemental in it.

The armour will be fairly close to historic medieval plate armour but with a wide open neck area  with a collar formed by the neck guards on the shoulder pads and something coming up at the top of the back plate.  In this area will be a 'flaming head' which will look mostly like a flame with a face.  I might make this attach to the bit coming up from the back plate so the head appears to float.

The armour will also be constructed in sections, sort of like how a crab has joins in it's shell.  The chest plate will be divided down the middle and may be seperate from the abdomimal area.  Small wisps of flame will be seeping out of these gaps.  If you've ever seen a video of a F15 (or FXX) jet fighter warming up it's engines and seen how they fan out as they heat up, you can imagine what i'm trying to get at with the armour.

I was initially going to give the armour a lance, shortish with a large hand guard but that is similar to the lance the Spriggan (Warmachine) has.  So i'm less sure now.  Almost any 'knighty' weapon would look decent I think.  Probably give him a shield too, also not sure about shape.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:38:08 AM GMT GMT by Palocles »

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 02:58:43 AM GMT GMT »
Sorry, bub. Waaaaaaaay too much text in place of what should've just been a cocktail napkin sketch.
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline Palocles

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:13 AM GMT GMT »
Well, i can't do a drawing i'd be happy with.  I can turn a concept into a figure but i can't do a satisfyingconcept sketch myself.

I can copy-pasta though!  That should help to break up the WALL-OF-TEXT!

So here is charcter concept 3:

One last idea before I go.  A female sci fi character with a gun.  I think i'm going to need, at least, male and female melee models and male and female ranged models, whether they be sci fi or fantasy style.  I've got a couple of ideas for the ranged males, one of which is a not Marcus Fenix from Gears of War.

So this girl is going to be a bit anime and was originally going to be wearing a bodysuit like Oni, think form fitting armour/biker leathers if you don't know Oni, with a cropped leather jacket on top.  Then I thought maybe she should have came across her weapon and become a character for the game more by accident and be wearing a skirt and blouse (with the leather jacket) instead?  The second option is the anime school girl option which probably has a lot of appeal.

She's also going to be the small girl with big gun character.  I was going to make a comicbook style big gun to give her but I have since decided on a more 'realistic' design.  The weapon is meant to be able to fire different types of ammo, like that gun Zorg sells in Fifth Element.  I know how this will work in the game mechanics but haven't worked out the cost of it yet but thats beside the point.

This gun will be based on a bullpup style assault rifle, with the magazine in the rifle stock.  Mounted on top of that will be a grenade launcher with a 6 shot revolving cylinder which circles the rifle as if the rifle were the axle of the cylinder.  Finally, under the rifle and mounted forward of the hand grip will be a fuel tank with flamethrower nozzle out the front.  Fluffwise, the weapon has 'suspensors' to counter the weight but i'm not sure if I need to model any on.  No one in anime ever had trouble lifting a gun, did they?  There might also be a scope.

Offline Bergil

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:05:37 PM GMT GMT »
Eh, do what you want to do!

Why not work on them all at the same time... I tend to do this :)

They're all valid ideas so if you just wanted to work on one of them I'd say pick the one that most appeals to you.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:39:44 PM GMT GMT »
No extreme dislikes here, though the shaman sounds a tad too bony, and I vote for Oni bodysuit on the girl.

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 03:24:51 PM GMT GMT »
i cant comment until i see some work

Offline Palocles

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 02:29:55 AM GMT GMT »
I'm going to make and bulk out all the armitures at the same time (within the limits of temporal physics), that way i can get used to using GS again before doing any detail, but i'll probably concentrate on one or two at a time when i get further along.

(A big issue i have at the moment is not knowing exactly how much allowance i have to make for compression during molding and casting.  I don't want to get something 100% finished then find it will be too flat in a production version.  But i'm thinking of asking the casters if i can put something small in a master to get a proper reference.)

There are a couple of reasons for me posting these ideas here. 

Firstly to see if anyone likes the sound of them, as you guys seem to, in a non committed way.

Secondly to get ideas on poses and details for concepts that i haven't fully developed, like Vermis vote for the Oni body suit.  (Shame i don't still have the game for a reference... but the interwebs will do.)

So thanks for your input.  :)

Vermis, have you got a suggestion for reduced bonyness on the shaman?  It didn't occur to me that he'd give that impression.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:14:34 AM GMT GMT »
Maybe you could use some other material instead of the ribcage for the 'breastplate', something like wood? Something like this, only simplified:1,2, 3, 4
Depending on how you'd sculpt it, people still could paint it up as bone pieces.

(this could serve as inspiration for some sort of weapon/ ceremonial object)
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:27 PM GMT GMT »
Yarp.  Depends on how native american/necro ratskin you want to make him look.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 05:42:50 PM GMT GMT »
I was thinking of one these initially but then realised the implications of him wearing and using bones makes him nice and sinister.  Otherwise i wasn't really thinking Native American or Ratskin, more along the lines of afro/carribean voodoo preist.

Is it really that 'bad' for him to be using two bone items?  The breast plate will be partially obscured by the animal skin too.

I can always sculpt the breast plate one in one layer then peal it off if it looks too much.

While i'm here a 4th concept:

Another dwarf but of normal proportions, he'll be about 36mm tall.  I want this guy to be based on Prussian military dress, so he'll be wearing a great coat and spike helmet and holding a (oversized bore) rifle low across his body.  He'll just be sort of standing in a relaxed pose holding the rifle.

He'll also have a fat victorian almost handle bar mustache and maybe a monocle.  He might have a gas mask hanging over his shoulder and i'm toying with the idea of giving him a metal breastplate (even though it's not Prussian) for extra armour.  The rifle will have a bayonet.

Offline Palocles

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 07:18:14 AM GMT GMT »
OK, so i made a start on a few armitures:

Starting from the left we've got the anime style, Riotgrrrl.  She's got 30mm legs and a 20mm torso wire.  A couple of mm of the legs will probably be high heeled boots but there will still be a big shift in proportions making the legs longer.

Next is the fire elemental 'knight'.  His torso and legs are both 28mm.  56mm makes him about 6'5" but his height will be a bit odd because his head is going to be a flame.  Both of these two need some posing which i'll be doing once i've done the first layer of GS over the wires.  (So they don't break apart when i start bending wires around)  Not really sure on posing for them yet though.

Second from the right is the dwarf with normal (dwarf) proportions.  He's 36mm tall with the ratio shifted a little towards making the torso longer.  His legs are 16mm and the torso wire is 20mm.  He might gain a little more height when i do his head as it will be a bit bigger than a normal human head.  He's just going to be standing holding his rifle.

On the far right is the Shaman guy.  His torso and legs are both 26mm and he's probably going to stay in that sort of walking forwards pose.  I might modify it a little bit later, after doing the first GS layer.  Not sure yet.

Posing ideas welcome, thanks.

Offline SteveB

Re: Concepts for some 54mms. Now with nuts! No, Armitures!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 10:18:31 AM GMT GMT »
Mind if I ask what wire you're using for the armatures? T-Junctioned wire? Looks incredibly useful (I hate twisting wire for the torso and soldering a y shape is annoying too).

Offline Palocles

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 05:17:31 PM GMT GMT »
It's just some really cheap ass steel wire i got in a roll form a hardware store in Spain, years ago.

It's not solderedd, it's superglued.  I file the top of the pelvis flat and the end of the spine wire so they fit flush and hope they stick.  Very technical.

I've heard something like 'annealed copper wire' is the ideal.

I do need to get hold of some really fine wire for a couple of things though, particularly the shamans wand.

Offline SteveB

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:33:48 PM GMT GMT »
I see. Thanks for the info though I have terrible luck with superglued armatures. Going to try to improve my soldering technique...