Author Topic: Homemade and Custom Tool Guides  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Homemade and Custom Tool Guides
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:03:45 PM GMT GMT »
Make Your Own Sculpting Tools.  A blog by RingerT, with in-depth articles on making metal-headed tools.

Making Sculpture Tools.  A sticky topic at the Conceptart.org forums.  Has a few links and demonstrations, mostly for wire loop tools.

Making Your Own Sculpting Tools.  An article by Daniel Joyce for Reaper Miniatures' The Craft page, using bamboo skewers and other basic materials.

Make Your Own Sculpting Loop Tools.  A free PDF at Learn Prosthetic Makeup.  Concentrates on rakes.

Tom Meier's tools.  A blog entry with attached photos at The World According To Tom.  Not a guide, but a good example of some items modified for mini sculpting.  (Blog is currently - to use a technical term - borked, after the Thunderbolt Mountain site update.  Hopefully it'll be back sometime soon.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:03:35 AM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Angora

Re: Homemade and Custom Tool Guides
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:06:48 PM GMT GMT »
Great stuff! Downlods running  :D

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:09:19 PM BST GMT »
I used the blog article by RingerT this past weekend and successfully created two of the tools he has in the blog, the square and round spatulas. 

As a bit of a review, his technique is pretty good.  I was able to forge the tools with my creme brulee torch.  I ruined a few tries before I got the hang of using the hammer.  Mine didn't turn out quite as perfect as his, but they work well.  Once you are up and running, it only takes fifteen minutes to a half-hour to make one of the tools. I'll try making the others soon.

Andy
Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:50 PM BST GMT »
What did you use besides the torch and hammer?  I'd like to make one or two metal tools like that, but some of the equipment makes me lean back to sanding bamboo chopsticks.

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:17:17 PM BST GMT »
I used my bench grinder to shape the initial rods (though one could use a Dremel for this). I got the rods themselves from my local hobby store.  They are 1.5 mm spring steel and are very hard.  They were also very inexpensive, being only $5 for more than I'll ever use.

To forge them, I used a creme brulee torch, and small anvil, and my smaller hammer from my wood shop.  After that, I just used sand paper to polish them, starting with 80 grit (coarse) and working my way to 400 grit (very fine).

I may get some polishing compound and polish them to a mirror finish using a felt wheel on my Dremel tool, but I'm not certain that that is necessary.

Andy
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:19:40 PM BST GMT by TaleSpinner »
Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 05:39:22 PM BST GMT »
so i tried out silicone rod for making tips for sculpting tools and i give it a 9 out of 10!

there is almost no sticking without any lubricants and its pretty firm.  i recommend at least trying some its very inexpensive

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 05:42:40 PM GMT GMT »
Added a link.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:17:01 AM BST GMT »
So what are your favourite tools ? I mainly use two tools for quite everything. One was made by stefan from Masq Mini according to my wishes and the other one is an old brush with an inserted needle.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:33:47 PM BST GMT »
So what are your favourite tools ?

You'll want to see this topic. :)