Author Topic: Resin casts  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
Resin casts
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:19:02 PM BST GMT »
[Carrie Fisher]Help me Mini Sculpture, you;re my only hope.[/Carrie Fisher]

I'm wanting to get a few resin casts done of some wip mini's so that I can 'experiment' without fudging up the green. I only want 4-5 of each of 2 different master. Now I probably could do it myself at home but I barely have the tome/energy to put into sculpting never mind learning how to mould! So I need some recommendations for a caster that won't mind such low quantities and won't charge me a lung.

oh and for practicality UK based is probably going to be best.

Cheers
Just.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Statuesque Miniatures
Re: Resin casts
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:33:43 PM BST GMT »
They're not British but Maxmini (Poland) gave me a very reasonable quote. www.maxmini.eu

Never had any problems with the international postal service when I lived over there though obviously it would add a bit of a delay.

Offline torgaming

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:35:36 PM BST GMT »
I use this guy Paul from:

http://www.firedragonfoundry.co.uk/

He has been doing the Ragin Heroes stuff, so is 'quite' experienced in resin.

Based in Yorkshire.
 :)

Offline Justin

• Jeebus!
    • Minijustice Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:29 PM BST GMT »
Cheers fellas, I think an enthusiastic home caster might be more appropriate for the quantities I'm after but I'll drop both of them a line to get some costs!

Torgaming: loving your stuff, looking for any freelance sculptors?

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 06:07:09 AM BST GMT »
http://www.greymatterfigures.com/ I'm pretty sure my brother uses this company for resin parts.

Offline weirdwolf

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:16:57 AM BST GMT »
I would be happy to cast them up for you. Theres two ways of working it, I supply the materials & charge for the cost or you supply the materials at no charge from me. I wont charge for the mould making.

Heres example of one of my latest casts (& sculpt)

http://www.tomps.com/shop/-c-1_7_50.html?osCsid=hsvbhl035pk14fmdph0jk7t0f2
http://www.tomps.com/shop/polyurethane-fast-cast-resin-pri-129.html?reviews_id=9&osCsid=hsvbhl035pk14fmdph0jk7t0f2

Let me know what you think & we'll get some addresses exchanged via PMs.

WW

Offline Legion

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:14:27 PM BST GMT »
Hi Justin, Emither sent.

Offline Carcharoth

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:23:00 AM BST GMT »
Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit, but has anybody had any experience of professional resin casting? How does it tend to work, and what are the typical costs? Is it an easy way to get weapon masters done (rather than waiting for a gap on a metal mould)?

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:02 AM BST GMT »
Mike- PM sent.

Offline chicmac

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 01:07:40 AM BST GMT »
[Carrie Fisher]Help me Mini Sculpture, you;re my only hope.[/Carrie Fisher]

I'm wanting to get a few resin casts done of some wip mini's so that I can 'experiment' without fudging up the green. I only want 4-5 of each of 2 different master. Now I probably could do it myself at home but I barely have the tome/energy to put into sculpting never mind learning how to mould! So I need some recommendations for a caster that won't mind such low quantities and won't charge me a lung.

oh and for practicality UK based is probably going to be best.

Cheers
Just.

If you want to 'experiment' by keeping what you have but trying out different things on a small part of it (e.g. face) then the usual thing is to take a press mould.   Simplest is to mix a piece of milliput, make a sheet of it, douse it with fine talc, and press it round the bit you want a copy of.  This can then be used to make copies (using fine talc again as releasant).  Pros do this sort of thing all the time, it is no biggy.  Note that milliput is not good where there is 'overhanging' topography although it is still possible to use it by (very) carefully, choosing when to pull apart.  Green stuff has more 'give' especially if applied in a thin sheet.

Once you have tweaked a new version you like, just repeat the process to get a copy of that and that can in turn be used to replace the feature on the original.

I'm assuming here by 'experiment' you mean trying out different detail.  If you meant trying out different poses by cutting and repositioning etc. (aka 'customizing') then yes, a set of full body casts would be the thing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:51:19 PM BST GMT by chicmac »