Author Topic: Beholder (First Full Mini Sculpt)  (Read 17971 times)

Offline TaleSpinner

Beholder (First Full Mini Sculpt)
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:19 PM BST GMT »
Well, after months of preparation and playing with putty, tool, and tutorials, I am finally taking the dive into sculpting.  I decided to do something with atypical anatomy for my first figure so that I can worry more about getting the details right than whether or not I've mastered the proportions of human/animal anatomy correctly.  I am studying anatomy from an art perspective, but am not quite ready to dive into a humanoid, yet...

So, I love beholders and have decided to do my own.  I thought I'd share this journey with you here, because I like to spread the pain around. :P Actually, I'm hoping to get good feed back as to what I am doing right and wrong.

So, I came up with the following concept sketch.  The beholder is floating by a stalagmite and is just brushing up against it.

I've assembled my armature already and should have pictures of that in a few days, as time permits.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Andy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
Re: Beholder (First Full Mini Sculpt)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:24:32 PM BST GMT »
i want to see some sculpting but for te concept the eye is too small and the tentacles remind me of frylock the scales on the side look reversed. they should go towards the back of the creature or just not over-lap

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:31:59 AM BST GMT »
OK, so here is the armature, ready for me to start adding putty:

I made it by drilling 10 small holes, evenly spaced, around the rim of a worn-out penny. I also drilled a larger hole in the center. The beholder will be about 32mm in diameter. The penny is just under 3/4 of that. I soldered 10 brass wires, 1-1/2 inches long each, into the holes of the penny (note that soldering on a penny is not easy). I then bent to shape and soldered the main support rod into the center of the penny. This rod will eventually be the center of the stalagmite.

Next, I'll start building up the underpinning for the skeletal structure.

Comments welcome,

Andy

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:26:23 AM BST GMT »
i want to see some sculpting but for te concept the eye is too small and the tentacles remind me of frylock the scales on the side look reversed. they should go towards the back of the creature or just not over-lap

What is frylock?

Since it is spherical, with it's anus on the bottom, I thought that the shingled look seems more natural to me.  Maybe I'll try drawing up a few more concepts before I get to the detailing and see what scale arrangement I like best.  That is the cool thing about doing something completely alien like a beholder, is that you can really adjust it for taste.

You really think the central eye is too small?  How much bigger do you think it should be?  Should it be about the same size, but a bit rounder vertically maybe?

Andy

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:45:52 AM BST GMT »

scales

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:20:08 PM BST GMT »
LOL. OK, I'll make the tentacles longer and more dynamic.

I guess I really don't fully agree on the scales though.  The two pieces of art you show break (IMHO) the original beholder mold by having the tentacles either randomly placed (the first photo) which just looks wrong to me, or swept back which look like dreads, both of which are caused by the departure from the semetrical scale and tentacle placement model.  I do like the side ridges on that second one.  I also think I need to rethink the bottom half and incorporate more of a jaw. Mine is just too round.  I need to go back to the drawing board, literally.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 03:32:44 PM BST GMT »
Alright, Dracon Magis really got me thinking and I decided the following points:

1: I have the shape wrong and I need to investigate the underlying anatomy better than I did,

2: What I drew is way too heavily armored.  First off, why all the armor; it is mostly just covering bone.  Second, all that added weight would just add to the amount that the creature needs to levitate.

So I am starting over by defining the skeletal structure of a beholder (IMO), see the attached. Let me know if you see anything totally out of place or that would be better if I tweaked something one way or the other.

And thanks Dracon for making me look again. I appreciate it.  :)

Andy

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:54:23 PM BST GMT »
big black lines are mine i went with a larger eye cavity rounded cheek bones and a pronounced chin

with nostril holes

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:45:44 PM BST GMT »
Sweet, except for the nostrals (which i can add later), I had another friend suggest something similar.  What do you think of this:

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 07:52:32 PM BST GMT »
not a fan of the jutting eye socket but looks good

now start sculpting

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:47 PM BST GMT »
not a fan of the jutting eye socket but looks good

now start sculpting

You mean the brow ridge over the eye?

I won't be able to do much on it until tomorrow night, so I'm just making sure my concepts are squared away first.  I bulked up the armature last night, so tomorrow I should be able to just start sculpting the skull itself.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline hivetrygon

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:32:20 PM BST GMT »
I like the ridge over the eye but you need to remember it will alter the face a bit. That will make a brow stick out rather than the pictures shown. I look forward to seeing more work on it.

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 12:27:30 PM BST GMT »
I like the ridge over the eye but you need to remember it will alter the face a bit. That will make a brow stick out rather than the pictures shown. I look forward to seeing more work on it.

Oh, I am so far away from that picture now. :D   All this rethinking has totally changed the appearance of this beast.  I did some more anatomical research last night again and came up with what I feel is the final design. I'll post that later.  Basically, when I went to lay out the major muscles, I found that the skull was wrong and had to change it again. Now, with a few exceptions for fantasy sake, I have it where I want it. (I'll publish the new anatomy in a few minutes.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline TaleSpinner

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:57 PM BST GMT »
OK, here's the final internal anatomy.  I added the dual sagital crest for the jaw muscles to attach to.  Red is muscles, black is bone outline, and brown is connective tissue/other.  I only drew in one tentacle and it is not in the position it will be in in the final piece.  

So, now I have to figure out the external anatomy and the pose.

Thanks,

Andy

(edit: I just noticed that I forgot to ink in the the lower teeth in the front musculature drawing.  Oops!)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:49:56 PM BST GMT by TaleSpinner »

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 02:03:39 PM BST GMT »
Interesting aproach, regarding the armature I would have just just have put a ball of putty on the support wire as a former, sculpted the face/body on top of the ball then drilled holes for the tentacle wires to be inserted into, you're going to find it hard to sculpt in between all those wires. Remember occams razor!  ;)