Author Topic: 3D designs, pricing and reproduction rights?  (Read 757 times)

Offline clibinarium

3D designs, pricing and reproduction rights?
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:15:20 PM BST GMT »
Hi All,

I've been a lurker here for some time, I've been sculpting for about 6 or 7 years now. Nearly all my work has been the traditional greenstuff/procreate type, 28mm and down.

I recently came up against having to do some straight line work, and realised I'd have to invest some time in learning how to do it. It occurred to me that the time might be better spent learning how to do it in a 3D program for printing. So I gave Sketchup a go and got the hang of it. Not Autocad or Z-Brush, I know, but I had to start with something simple and its worked out well for the stuff I needed, artillery, weapons, helmets etc.

But now I am faced with two thorny issues, if I simply send the 3D file to a client; how to price the work, and what about reproduction rights?

Price I imagine varies as widely as it does for physical sculpts, in terms of the subject and the skill of the creator, but must be comparable to an extent with producing a physical object (obviously a discount must be made for the fact that an STL file is not a finished item and the client has the additional cost of printing a master, ad the complications that go with that).

Reproduction rights are more difficult still; a 3D file can be printed in multiple scales, a physical sculpt is pretty much in a determined scale (excluding the use of pantographs and such). The versatility of the 3D file can surely only increase its value? Is it standard practice to give over the rights to produce it in all scales or restrict is production to specified scales?

I am just running into these issues, but I am sure its something that's been encountered by members here, as digital sculpting has been around for a while now. I don't know if there are right or wrong answers, but its soemthing I'd be grateful for views on.

Thanks in advance
clibinarium