Author Topic: Warhammer 8  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Warhammer 8
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:57:14 PM BST GMT »
So yay or nay?  Some of the stuff I've heard about a greater emphasis on blocks of infantry, spark my interest.  Suggests a speck more of a tactical approach to me, but to be honest I wouldn't know.  Rules tend to be pretty opaque to me until I have a game.

I don't think I'll pick up the big book, despite the content; but I don't think I'll be able to resist the box set.  Just like Battle for Macragge, Skull Pass, and Black Reach.  I have visions of new HE and Skaven armies running through my head, despite the fact the number of 40K and WHFB games I've played can be counted on the fingers of one hand; and the number of times I'll likely play in the future could be counted on the fingers of the other.  As it is I'll probably end up sticking a couple of minis together, then keep the rulebook and sell the minis a few months later.  Just like Battle for Macragge, Skull Pass, and Black Reach...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:12:26 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Borak

Re: Warhammer 8
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:57:36 PM BST GMT »
I must admit i've pre-ordered the collectors rulebook. I don't really play that much but the changes to 8Ed sound interesting. more focus on bigger units (i always though warhammer regiments were a bit on the small side) and some characterful stuff that reminds me of getting into the hobby back in 3Ed

I'd like to say that i'd give the starter set a miss. I already have a decent sized goblin army and enough bits in my collection to build a couple of chaos armies. at GWs prices i'm kind of reluctant to start any new armies...but starter sets are comparatively good value, i've as soft spot for the ratty ones and i've always wanted to paint some high elves in a more colourful old skool (red period @D) scheme....blue and white across the whole force is a tad boring.....i may not be able to help myself :(

I'm going to try and hold off as long as i can. i'm more focused on Wastelander at the moment

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:25:19 AM BST GMT »
The last game of WFB I played was 10yrs ago, I remember Skaven having "machine guns" that pretty much killed everthig I had....
I can't even remember my army.... Beastmen?
So whats new?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:31:23 PM BST GMT »
I don't know a lot, 'cos I don't think I could stomach several 20 pages+ topics on Warseer to find out.  What I've gleaned is that there's less emphasis on characters and more on infantry, as mentioned.  And bigger armies overall, roundabout 3,000 points.  IIRC there's some kind of bonus to bigger units - a 'horde' rule or outnumbering = stubborn, or something. (Can't say much about the consequences to strategy & tactics but I can see a few more people getting creative with multibased minis and likkle dioramas.  Maybe even... breaking out the putty).

Charge moves are apparently the standard move rate + 2d6, I think.  Best two out of 3d6 for cavalry.  People are complaining loudly, with the usual I'm-selling-my-stuff and GW boycott threats, claiming that it strips tactical play out of WH (did it have much in the last couple of eds?) and replaces it with randomness.  Others say it makes WH more tactical as it reduces the chargehammer effect and makes you judge your charges more carefully.  Who's right?  I dunno.  It'll be mildly interesting to see how it plays out.
Also, seems like the first round of combat is played in initiative order, not who charged first.  Unpopular with people who like great weapons.

Borak: I got hooked on elves with some Warmaster minis.  I tend to go for the monstery things like lizardmen, skaven and ogres, but decided to take a different route for 10mm.  I'm using a bit of white but trying to temper it with some dark blues and purples, see if it adds a bit of solemnity or regality.  I might use the new starter box to try to build up a small 28mm force.  A small one.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:37:03 PM BST GMT by Vermis »