Author Topic: Casting Resins  (Read 1405 times)

Offline AaronRNM

• Rusty Nickel Miniatures
Casting Resins
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:29:14 PM BST GMT »
I'm just wondering what everyone uses for resins when they cast.  We hand cast some of our minis for promos and prototype games and have had mixes luck.  We've used Smooth Ons Smooth-Cast 300 and it was too brittle. I can't tell you how many tiny hockey sticks I have had to re-glue after having them fall from only 6 inches or from bouncing around in a case.  Then we tried Alumilite and we had issues with gluing and painting.  The surface just seemed greasy even after washing.

That being said, what do all of the other home casters use for their minis?

Offline Thantos

• The Resin Goblin
    • Zealot Miniatures
Re: Casting Resins
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:14 PM BST GMT »
Axson stuff, same type forgeworld use. I think the smallest amount they do is 9 kilo drums. But it has quite a long shelf life, and 9kg soon goes. Its very low viscosity and super to paint. :)
http://www.axson-technologies.com/en/find-product/Casting-Resins

Just ordered a batch of px1000 super flexible resin, if you want a load of sticks cast in this practically snap proof stuff, drop us an email ;)

www.zealotminiatures.co.uk
Miniatures. Resin Casting. 3D Printing. Retail

Offline AaronRNM

• Rusty Nickel Miniatures
Re: Casting Resins
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:28:26 PM BST GMT »
Thanks Thantos.  We may end up looking into that in the near future.  Before you posted, I went ahead and ordered the trial size Smooth-Cast 320.  This should be enough to get us through some more prototypes.  We liked the general properties, the paintability and glue-ability, of the 300.  It could have just been inexperience that caused some issues.

The way we sculpt our minis doesn't really lend itself to casting sticks separate (see photos below). We used the Alumilite for some of the minis and it was great for the sticks. It had a little bit of flex to it, so we didn't have any breaking issues, but like I said previously, we had difficulties with gluing and painting.