Author Topic: Improvised Pressure Pot  (Read 1980 times)

Offline AaronRNM

• Rusty Nickel Miniatures
Improvised Pressure Pot
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:30:23 PM BST GMT »
**I know everyone may not have these supplies at home, but even if you don't, it is a very inexpensive pressure pot.**

When we had started doing some prototype casting, we learned about the benefits of pressure pot casting.  We looked into some old ones on eBay for about $150, but they were old and used and looked like they could barely hold pressure.

That's when I realized that I had a 5 gallon pressure pot with all of the connections sitting in my back hall.

I also am a home brewer as well, and home brewers, in North America at least, have adopted old Pepsi and Coke kegs also called corney kegs for dispensing beer at home.  There is a latch at the top for easy filling, about 4 inches wide and 6 inches tall, just enough room to fit a mold into.  These are pressure rated for up to about 150 PSI, so the 60 PSI required for casting is not an issue.  It also has a pressure relief valve at the top of it too bleed off the pressure once the casting is finished.

All I had to do when I wanted to cast was turn the keg on its side and I can easily fit five to six molds in there without much effort (probably more if I used a stick to push them back).

Like I said, not everyone may have a keg laying around the house, but typically you can buy them used online for about $50.00.  So if you have an air compressor, this could be a very inexpensive way to add a pressure pot for casting to your workshop.

Offline Local_Ork

• ...Wut?
Re: Improvised Pressure Pot
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:32 AM BST GMT »
Hi!

I made mine from 10cm diameter/7cm high can. Good enough for hooking up to airbrush compressor and pressure is high enough to crush bubbles. Not very pretty, but works.

http://image.ceneo.pl/data/products/15701033/i-fachowiec-sprezarka-do-aerografu-kompresor-membranowy-2-25-bar-f350.jpg
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4448/mqjp.jpg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:11:25 AM BST GMT by Local_Ork »

Offline Thantos

• The Resin Goblin
    • Zealot Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:43:44 AM BST GMT »
These are pressure rated for up to about 150 PSI
Good decision. With the home made pots, its worth getting a proper one that is proof tested like this. In my younger days of resin casting, i nearly lost an eye to a home made pot. Dont just check the pot, check the connections - there are many types of threads for connections and some may not mesh correctly, causing the valve to shoot off like a bullet when it reaches high pressure.

www.zealotminiatures.co.uk
Miniatures. Resin Casting. 3D Printing. Retail

Offline maneejet

• maneejet
    • gclub
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:38:35 AM GMT GMT »
We are very pleased to have come into the web of it.