Author Topic: "A Sculpt"  (Read 2305 times)

Offline StevieTC

"A Sculpt"
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:21:23 PM BST GMT »
Anyone heard of / used this product. I found it on eBay which looking for Magic Sculp.

It's cheaper that Magic Sculp, but packaged and presented so it could be easily mistaken for Magic Sculp. (they even appear to have used part of the genuine product's advertising material.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aSculpt-Epoxy-Putty-800g-Milliput-Apoxie-Magic-Sculp-WHITE-BLACK-FLESH-IVORY-/191170559782?pt=UK_Collectables_AnimalCollectables_SM&var=&hash=item2c82a73f26

I tend to be suspicious of anything which tries to use the name of an established product, but if it's any good it may be worth a try

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
Re: "A Sculpt"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:59:21 PM BST GMT »
never heard of it. sry. funny that they have many names of differnet brands in the title though.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline StevieTC

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:26:44 PM BST GMT »
I think that just to get hits when someone looks for one of those other products.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 01:08:18 PM BST GMT »
Of course it is. ^^
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:32:45 PM BST GMT »
I just noticed it meself, looking for magic sculp too, at Restoration Supplies. Bit weird. I can understand cold clay since it's apparently a home-grown product with a lower price and wider colour range, but what's asculpt's draw over magic sculp?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:42:00 AM BST GMT »
I ordered some aSculpt from Restoration Supplies, and it arrived this morning. First thing that strikes me is something that wasn't mentioned on the shop page: a little 'hazard' or 'alert' marking on the labels (an exclamation mark in a red square diamond) and a warning to use gloves and avoid contact with skin.
It's certainly not the only time I've heard that warning about epoxy putty, from manufacturers or someone else, but by comparison, the labels of Restoration Supplies' Cold Clay (I got some of that in the same package) have no icon and 'wash hands, avoid contact with eyes'. It's also the only sculpting putty I've seen with a hazard icon, after Milliput. Altough I still mix that with bare fingers, at the present time.

Ah well, I'll try it out some time and get back to you if my fingers fall off. ;)

Offline aSculpt

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 04:27:35 PM BST GMT »
Hi
My name is Helen and I’m the sales director for aSculpt epoxy putty.
Thank you for showing a interest in our products. The diamond symbols are the new pictogram warnings for products which MAY have some sort of hazard depending on their use. The diamond exclamation mark replaces the old X on a orange background symbol which is being phased out soon. It has always been a legal requirement in the EU (and soon in the US) to display these warnings on products containing epoxy resin.
ALL epoxy putties sold in the UK at present should carry the warning symbol but some resellers of imported products either don’t care or don’t know the product should be labelled. And of course there are some manufacturers and resellers  who deliberately mislead customers into thinking there are no hazards at all associated with their product.
In the case of our aSculpt epoxy putty the warning symbol represents a possibility that the product MAY cause skin and eye irritation in certain individuals who may be sensitive to the ingredients. Our aSculpt epoxy putty just like hundreds of other products in the home is perfectly safe to use provided you take sensible precautions. Some users of epoxies could get away with having a bath in the stuff while others can get a allergic reaction with skin contact. Just like you could get from washing powder, cleaning chemicals and 1001 other products used in the home.
How does aSculpt differ from other epoxy putties such as Milliput, Magic Sculp and Apoxie? The epoxy resin type is virtually identical in all these products but the filler content is finer and lower in aSculpt which gives the product different working properties but does make it quite a bit more expensive to manufacture.
Helen

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:14 PM BST GMT »
Hello Helen. Welcome to Mini Sculpture. Thank you for the clarification!

I apologise if it looked like I was indulging in a bit of scaremongering. As mentioned, I'm aware of the sensitizing effects of epoxy putty and the recommended precautions. (in fact I had been reading more about them just before this order) So I was a little surprised by the more obvious warning on aSculpt labels, but assumed that it was for the same reasons, and no more harmful than any other epoxy. I should have been a little more explicit with that assumption!