Author Topic: Cheap pasta rolling machines  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Cheap pasta rolling machines
« on: April 30, 2014, 03:42:24 PM BST GMT »
Used for rolling, mixing and conditioning relatively large amounts of polymer clay. See here and here. Expensive or full-price pasta machines are easy enough to find, so shout here if you see any budget pieces around!

To start with: it's not on their website and I don't know about other branches, but I noticed the Home Bargains in York Street, Belfast, has a bunch of pasta rollers in for £10 each.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
Re: Cheap pasta rolling machines
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:35:29 PM BST GMT »
sounds like a great price actually. you won't believe how useful this thing can actually be...
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Local_Ork

• ...Wut?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 12:07:14 AM BST GMT »
I actually use piece of thick-walled plastic pipe acting as rolling pin because I don't need that much clay conditioned at once. So that's an alternative/happy medium between using hands and big/expensive machine.

Also my experiments with FIMO led me to "making" mortar for mixing clay with mineral oil (either to salvage "dried" clay or dilute it).

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
    • putty down!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:28:14 AM BST GMT »
Oh, but that's not the only use of a paste machine! Think perfectly smooth and evenly thick putty slices. That's what I mainly use it for.

Offline Local_Ork

• ...Wut?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:50 PM BST GMT »
I personally didn't found use for even layers of clay/putty (yet), but that gave me an idea for tool...

It's essentially base with two pieces of plastic (of desired thickness) glued on top, and rolling pin (It have to be long enough to roll over "rails"). I personally think pasta machine is a bit excessive for 28mm scale, but You are probably right it may be useful.

It can be done "the other way" too (plastic pipe + rings around ends of desired thickness) but I think finding tubing of right size may be troublesome... If You can, go for it tho.

I also looked at Allegro (my local eBay) and 10 GBP/20 USD/50 PLN (all prices are roughly equal) is minimum You have to pay for new one. I guess we can't go lower unless we barter or something...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:16:22 PM BST GMT by Local_Ork »

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
    • putty down!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 11:48:29 PM BST GMT »
you can vary the size/thickness of the pasta machine, that's what makes it interesting. For making layers of armor for example it comes in quite handy. Might still not be as useful for 28mm, you're right about that.