Author Topic: Anyone just hobbyist sculptors?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline NightwindKing

Anyone just hobbyist sculptors?
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:55:32 PM BST GMT »
I'm curious to know if anyone on these boards sculpts just as a hobby and not professionally...while I would like to sculpt professionally, at the moment I'm just doing it as a hobby to build my 'portfolio'.

I'm working on sculpting pieces for a game but it's very slow going by myself, and was curious if anyone else has run into that sort of issue...seems most games released these days have work contracted out to various (multiple) sculptors, sometimes in-house, but always multiple...

Offline Ninja_Butler

Re: Anyone just hobbyist sculptors?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 03:28:57 PM BST GMT »
I think 90% of miniature sculptors are hobbyists or hobbyists with a view to going professional, doing it as a hobby is a logical way to build experience and then when you get good enough you can turn semi-pro. I very much want to become a professional sculptor but even after 4 years I'm still a rank amateur. But after doing it this long it's all or nothing.

To date I have successfully sculpted a grand total of one miniature, and that one wasn't very good so it counts as half a miniature. But on the other hand I can feel I am close to breaking through. I can now just about get my miniatures down to the correct size and critically I have at long, long, long last started learning to sculpt heads and faces in correct proportion. Tip: If the head isn't the right size and shape, the face will never fit. It helps to get it in the anatomically correct position too, I've lost count of the number of times I go that little detail hopelessly wrong.

I would guess the reason for multiple sculptors is that when a company is serious about releasing a line of miniatures, they want them ready to roll by a specific date and they don't want to put all their eggs in one basket.

Offline PassionSculpt

• Lover The Sculpting Artform
    • Sculpting Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 04:42:07 AM GMT GMT »
Im A Hobbyist :)
Passion For Sculpting

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:12:11 PM GMT GMT »
Yep. I just do it as a hobby. Some things that are good I contact people about and see if they are keen on purchasing. I usually just ask for a little cash and some castings as I mostly just sculpt to please myself.

Offline BernardRag

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 01:00:44 PM GMT GMT »
I do it just as a hobby as well. Helps me relax after a long day's work.