Author Topic: Pressure pots  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Beefcake

Pressure pots
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:17:08 AM BST GMT »
I've looked online but the first searches that come up are all about how to do it etc.
Does anyone know where I can get a pressure pot suitable for resin casting? Preferably in Australasia.
What else do I need to know about them, I take it the are simple to use, put the resin in the mold, put the mold in the pot, close the pot securely, set the pot to pressure.
What is a good psi to put the molds at?
Are they fairly cheap?

Thanks

Offline GriffinTamer

Re: Pressure pots
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:51 PM BST GMT »
Smooth-On Inc. sells a 5 gallon pressure pot specifically for casting, but it's rather pricey (about US $700, if I recall correctly). What I'm using is a 2-1/2 gallon pot designed for use by painters (to hold pressurized paint for spray guns); much more affordable at about $150.

As far as what pressure to use - I've just started working with it, but so far 60 psi seems to produce good results.

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:22:16 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for that :)

Hamiltoncamp

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:31:52 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for the info I was thinking about this today myself too. :)

Offline PBartholdy

• Demiurge Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:30 PM BST GMT »
Smooth-On Inc. sells a 5 gallon pressure pot specifically for casting, but it's rather pricey (about US $700, if I recall correctly). What I'm using is a 2-1/2 gallon pot designed for use by painters (to hold pressurized paint for spray guns); much more affordable at about $150.

As far as what pressure to use - I've just started working with it, but so far 60 psi seems to produce good results.

Do you have a link for where to purchase the pot you're using? I'm looking for pressure pots too and yours sounds ideal.
Visit my website at www.demiurgeminis.com/

Offline GriffinTamer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:29:33 AM BST GMT »
Here's where I got my 2-1/2 gal. unit from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-gallon-pressure-paint-tank-66839.html

And here's a link to the 5 gal. unit from Smooth-On:

http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1_1273

You'll also need a compressor, hose and fittings, of course, but that's all pretty self explanatory if you've ever worked with air tools.

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 01:04:43 AM BST GMT »
Thanks for that. I'll see if I can find on like that locally.

Offline redfeathercasting

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:17:43 AM GMT GMT »
I run mine at around 45psi - actually cutting the mould so the air can escape effectively is far more important than the amount of pressure I found out early on. A pot is pretty cheap to build anywhere, its just the compressor that will set you back.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 09:39:16 PM BST GMT »

I'm starting to get vaguely interested in this kind of thing myself. I'm not used to thinking in gallons, though. So apologies for the lateness, and if you don't mind, what kind of internal dimensions does the 2-1/2 gallon pot have?